Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: John Chayka may be out as Coyotes' GM

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Default Re: John Chayka may be out as Coyotes' GM

As a Flyer fan, the Arizona situation reminds me quite a bit of Philadelphia.
    1. You get a new owner (or new owner representative for the hockey club).
    2. He, (the new owner), may or may not be a "hockey person".
    3. He starts with looking at the club president of operations - and that's a high-level positions that might be changed out.
    4. So the Club President is either 'under fire' or asked to make major changes so that the new owner feels like he has some "control" of the new team.

Most people don't want new management questions what they've done to this point.
    One way or the other... this was bound to happen with Chayka/ARI soon.
    Just like GMs put their "stamp" on a team so that it is "theirs".
    So, too, does an owner and/or president want to "stamp" the team so that it is "theirs".

I'm not somebody that feels that somebody has to have a STRONG (i.e. NHL experience) hockey presence to do a good job.
    But I do feel they need some background of a hockey presence.

The first time I saw this... was the Atlanta Thrashers owners... not hockey people... club failed.
    The second time was with PHI recently... the new owners rep canned Hextall (when Hextall wouldn't fire Hakstol)... the team is good now, but it would've been just fine with Hextall & coach of choice.

And now... with Arizona.

This is all just business logic.
    And Chayka is a businessman... I'm sure a few questions came his way and he knew the "writing was on the wall".
    At that point, a resume looks much better if somebody leaves for a new position, rather than wondering when you'll be fired.
    My 2 cents.

I thought Chayka was a decent GM.
    I think he knew a year ago that he needed to deliver results or be gone...
    The Hall & Kessel trades were his last ditch efforts... might as well burn the assets while you have them.
    Somebody else can clean up the mess.
    And ARI will be a mess... there's not enough there.
    Back to the West basement soon enough.

It would not surprise me - though - that Chayka is done in hockey.
    The Hall & Kessel moves definitely squandered assets of ARI... and no keen NHL president should want that to happen to their team.

Dobber Sports Superstar

I agree with your take above Peng and that is typically the case. Existing GM needs to prove their worth and sometimes it's just an impossible task as the new owners mind is already made up. Happens with coaches when new GMs are brought in, and on down the line. However, from what I am reading, this situation appears to be different in that it was Chayka who wanted to move on based on information I've found so far and that Arizona and their owner liked him and weren't interested in losing him and had just signed him through 2023-2024. Specifically I'll reference Freidman's most recent 31 Thoughts (link below) as a good source of info. From what I've read there are a couple points that stick out here:

- It sounds like the Coyote's owner, Meruelo, was a big Chayka fan and Chayka was one of the primary reasons he bought the team and opened up the coffers to spend more money to try and build a competitor
    - Meruelo initially didn't want to grant him permission to talk to anyone as they didn't want him to leave, but that Chayka talked him into it with some assurances in place (don't know what they might have been) but it turned out Chayka was offered a deal he couldn't refuse
    - Chayka agreed to see out the playoffs, but wanted a transition plan in place while the Coyotes wanted to wait until after the playoffs to discuss anything, so Chayka left

The above three points are not facts, but seem to be why the Meruelo is so angry at Chayka and this situation.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/...-chayka-split/

Friedman also notes that he thinks it's the New Jersey Devils organization (owners Blitzer and Harris) and that the new job is a multi-team job (76ers, soccer team, pushing for Mets), like some kind of leader of statistical analysis. Friedman also points out that Chayka is very detailed oriented and probably wouldn't have created this situation by leaving if it wasn't for a reason, indicating he was likely advised legally that this is what he should do.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I really hope Chakya isn't going to move to a multi-team job that involves the 76ers. I've had enough of Josh Harris' plans and hires where the guy is the smartest guy in the room. I'm not saying Chakya is that kind of guy, but I don't want to go back to rooting for someone to get fired or worse.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Padawan

I am interested to see how long before the spotlight switches to Dubas.
    He's the other hockey wunderkind, and I think it's fair to say neither of them had the impact that was expected.
    What went wrong?
    Not enough time maybe?
    Epstein and Anthopoulous were baseball's wunderkinds and they both did very well, especially Epstein.
    Does NFL have any of these youngens in high positions? I don't follow that league enough to know.

Anyway, NHL is very much a "copycat" league so I think the clock is ticking on Dubas. This year is a mulligan for everybody of course, but if the Leafs miss the playoffs next year or get knocked out early again, I think the experiment with young GMs may be less attractive for other teams.

Quote Originally Posted by stevegamer View Post
    I really hope Chakya isn't going to move to a multi-team job that involves the 76ers. I've had enough of Josh Harris' plans and hires where the guy is the smartest guy in the room. I'm not saying Chakya is that kind of guy, but I don't want to go back to rooting for someone to get fired or worse.
    If you're rooting for something worse than being fired to happen to anyone associated with your sports teams, I think you need to take a break from sports for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    If you're rooting for something worse than being fired to happen to anyone associated with your sports teams, I think you need to take a break from sports for a while.
    It's not that level of bad, where I'm rooting for injury or worse. Just fired, scandal, no future employment. I can live with that. That actually happened with the 76ers, so it's not exactly odd.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.