Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Got the 2nd pick in SC draft pool. I'm curious, Who would you take?

Dobber Sports Padawan

Default Got the 2nd pick in SC draft pool. I'm curious, Who would you take?

13 franchises. we get 2nd pick then 25th. Then 8 more rounds of random picks so 10 players / team.
    Would it be wise to avoid the 8 Qualifying Teams as any 4 of them could be out after only 3 games????
    Skaters G 1 A 1 Goalies W 2 + 1 for shut out.
    Thanks for your thought.

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Default Re: Got the 2nd pick in SC draft pool. I'm curious, Who would you take?

If it were me I would be picking one of:

Kucherov or MacKinnon

I think Tampa and Colorado are going to go deep into the playoffs. So I would take one of these guys.

I think I would avoid most of the qualifying teams other then Pittsburgh and maybe Edmonton. But I think in a draft as deep as your you will have to take some players from qualifying teams.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

Administrator

If you're picking that high you have to expect to not be able to stack players off of a specific team or go wild card a bit and take a top player who isn't on a top team and then build from there.

My sense, and everyone has their own theory on this, is that there is an advantage to playing in the round robin instead of the play-in, but that you won't see it manifest until the Conference Semis or the Conference Finals. I think winning 19 games is going to be near impossible. But you could have a leg up in R1 after the play-in because you are a bit more steeled having played that first short series.

Ultimately, how that all shakes out is anyone's guess. What you know is that if you take a RR team you are getting at least 7 games, and if you draft from a team that wins their play-in then you are guaranteed the same amount. I see no real advantage either way so just draft good players off teams you actually think can win.

To wit, I agree with above and would take Kucherov or MacKinnon and then figure out what comes next based on how the next 22 picks go to figure out who to draft in R2 and R3.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Icon

Who do you think is going to be playing in the Stanley Cup Finals? Pick the leading scorer/best offensive player from one of those two teams. If you don't have a clue who's going to go far and don't want to go out on a limb, then pick the best player from your favourite team to give you another reason to cheer for them.

When you're next pick comes around, you will have a better idea if you should stick with the 2 teams you thought or if you should pivot to a team no one else believes in. If you are only picking 10 guys, I would not pick players from more than 4 teams (2 in each conference).

FIRST OR WORST is my playoff motto.

Dobber Sports Superstar

David Pastrnak

Dobber Sports Padawan

PenguinHunter metaldude, chuckcouples, LuigiC

Thanks very much for taking the time guys. Some solid advice. Appreciate it.

Do like Kuch or McKinnon. Pastrnak...I'm worried about those old Bruins and how long they can go b4 they peter out seeing as how far they went last year??? Then again, they've had lots of rest and it's now a pretty short season.

PH...ya we usually have 18 teams in the pool but 5 dropped out this year due to covid as the draft is being held indoors with all remaining teams attending in person (probably 30 guys). (I'm actually not going to the draft myself, old with bad lungs but doing research for my teammates and the team strategy meeting of course). So pool not as deep as usual (180 players drafted) and more better players available. I've been doing this draft for 32 years (it's been running around 40 years). Experience tells me that several Leafs, some Bruins, Jets (our closest NHL team with lots of fans here) Pens and maybe even a Hab will go before we make our 2nd pick (25th overall). So there may be some decent Bolts or Aves available. And certainly there will be more good picks in later rounds (more teams) than any previous year. It's a PlayOff pool....Even more of a crap shoot this year than any previous I think.

md That all makes a lot of sense. Thanks. I'm hoping that with all the Leafs, Bruins, Jets, Pens, and a crazy Habs fan that we can get a decent Bolt or Ave with our 2nd pick. If there are no decent Bolts - Aves left by 3rd round anything can happen I guess...probably just take a remaining good scorer and add to that team.

cc All very sage advice but Ya, I was asking the Dobber community who they would pick 2nd, kind of like, hey guys, I don't know who to pick...who'd YOU take. Got a pick?

Luigi You sound pretty confident. I see he's "Out" but got about 2 weeks b4 the real games start. He will go 3rd for sure as the big Bruins fan in the draft will take him.

Thanks guys. Will "rep" who I can.

Dobber Sports Superstar

if this long break serves anyone well it's teams with an older core. Bergeron going into play without a laundry list of injuries is supremely beneficial to them. It's title or bust for Boston with a limited window of opportunity so they'll be extra motivated to perform. Pasta is a naturally gifted player a la Malkin, who will quite literally walk on and dominate.
    Girouxsalem
    (G,A,PIM,PPP,GWG,FOW,SOG,HIT, BLK)(W,SV,SO,GAA,SV%)

F:B.Tkachuk,Alien,Stutzle,Miller,Connor,Svech,Thoma s,ChandlerS.,Jenner,Couts,Bennett,Tolvanen,Danault
    D:Carlson,Nurse,Theodore,Matheson,Gudas,Harley
    G:Jarry,Ingram,Kotchetkov
    IR:Murphy,Rust,Guentzel

ThePeterNorthStars
    G(4),A(2),PIM(1),PPP(2),SHP(3.5),GWG(2),SOG(.5),FO W(.25),FOL(-.25),HIT(.75),BLK(.5) G:W(6)L(-4)GA(-2)SV(.5)SHO(4)

C: Ziba,
    Tro,Schmaltz
    L: Drai,Forsberg,Tolvanen,Lehkonen
    RW:​ Tippett,Boldy,Meier
    D: Josi,McAvoy,Carlson,Theodore,Faber,Montour,Sanderson
    G: Shest,Kotchetkov
    IR: Zegras,Norris,Vilardi,Kempe

Dobber Sports Icon

Based on your information, I would go with Kucherov and try to load up on Lightning players.

Dobber Sports Veteran

I had the 2nd OA pick in SC draft with 18 teams last night I took Kucherov.

Scoring includes peripherals but not a huge difference than your setup.

Was fortunate enough to load up on 7 TB, 3 VGK & 4 NYR, 3 COL and 1 random TOR

Pos Player
    F Nikita Kucherov - TB
    F Max Pacioretty - VGK
    D Victor Hedman - TB
    G Igor Shesterkin (R) - NYR
    D Tony DeAngelo - NYR
    D Morgan Rielly - TOR
    F Ondrej Palat - TB
    F Tyler Johnson - TB
    F Pavel Buchnevich - NYR
    F Alex Tuch - VGK 10
    D Alec Martinez - VGK
    F Joonas Donskoi - COL
    F J.T. Compher - COL
    G Henrik Lundqvist - NYR
    F Yanni Gourde - TB
    D Ryan McDonagh - TB
    F Pat Maroon - TB
    F Tyson Jost - COL
    Evansville Icemen District-5 Ducks
    LOEGM - 12 GM H2H Keeper
    G A PT SOG STA STG TRUC FOW
    W GA SV SV% SO
    WHL - 24 GM H2H Salary
    G A +/- PIM SOG PPP HIT BLK FOW
    W GA SV SO
    View Roster View Roster

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by evans334 View Post

Pos Player
    F Nikita Kucherov - TB
    F Max Pacioretty - VGK
    D Victor Hedman - TB
    D Tony DeAngelo - NYR
    D Morgan Rielly - TOR
    F Ondrej Palat - TB
    F Tyler Johnson - TB
    F Pavel Buchnevich - NYR
    F Alex Tuch - VGK 10
    D Alec Martinez - VGK
    F Joonas Donskoi - COL
    F J.T. Compher - COL
    G Henrik Lundqvist - NYR
    F Yanni Gourde - TB
    D Ryan McDonagh - TB
    F Pat Maroon - TB
    F Tyson Jost - COL
    This is a really good draft. well done. TB is a beauty team to target.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Superstar

Pos Player
    F Nikita Kucherov - TB
    F Max Pacioretty - VGK
    D Victor Hedman - TB
    D Tony DeAngelo - NYR
    D Morgan Rielly - TOR
    F Ondrej Palat - TB
    F Tyler Johnson - TB
    F Pavel Buchnevich - NYR
    F Alex Tuch - VGK 10
    D Alec Martinez - VGK
    F Joonas Donskoi - COL
    F J.T. Compher - COL
    G Henrik Lundqvist - NYR
    F Yanni Gourde - TB
    D Ryan McDonagh - TB
    F Pat Maroon - TB
    F Tyson Jost - COL

you didn't get the TB goalie Watch out for the guy with the Col goalie. good Job on the TBay load up. going to be an interesting playoff.
    Piranha Hockey League est 1990 - Oakley Doakley's - 16 teams
    Pts only W=2 OL=1 SO=3 Auction Draft

WHL - est 2016 Expansion - Glasgow Kiss - 24 teams
    25 pro players / 10 minor league players
    G,A,+/-,PPP,SOG,Hits,Blk,PIM,FOW, W,Sv,GA,SHO

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Magicstew View Post
    you didn't get the TB goalie Watch out for the guy with the Col goalie. good Job on the TBay load up. going to be an interesting playoff.
    Hahaha should be fun!

Evansville Icemen District-5 Ducks
    LOEGM - 12 GM H2H Keeper
    G A PT SOG STA STG TRUC FOW
    W GA SV SV% SO
    WHL - 24 GM H2H Salary
    G A +/- PIM SOG PPP HIT BLK FOW
    W GA SV SO
    View Roster View Roster

Dobber Sports Padawan

Holy moly thats a pretty good looking team considering, if I'm doing my math right, 18 teams x 18 players = 324 players drafted.
    I actually recognize the name of every player on your team which is unusual in such a deep pool.

Pos Player
    F Nikita Kucherov - TB
    F Max Pacioretty - VGK
    D Victor Hedman - TB
    D Tony DeAngelo - NYR
    D Morgan Rielly - TOR
    F Ondrej Palat - TB
    F Tyler Johnson - TB
    F Pavel Buchnevich - NYR
    F Alex Tuch - VGK 10
    D Alec Martinez - VGK
    F Joonas Donskoi - COL
    F J.T. Compher - COL
    G Henrik Lundqvist - NYR
    F Yanni Gourde - TB
    D Ryan McDonagh - TB
    F Pat Maroon - TB
    F Tyson Jost - COL
    SOME POOL RULES. Points only (G-1, A-1). One year Hybrid Pool. 3 round draft with balance of roster selected from any undrafted NHLer.. 19F 4 D 2 Rooks SALARIES AND POSITIONS DO NOT MATTER (other than being a F or D). NO Inter-Team Trading, Bench or Minors. Our WAIVER WIRE is ANY player in the NHL who is not Drafted in our league's 3 round draft. Each manager gets 6 ADD/DROPS (TRADES) for the year...any player on roster can be TRADED for any unDrafted F/D/R from ANY NHL team. INJURY RULE "IR". A hurt player can be replaced by another F/D from HIS NHL team and this is NOT considered a trade.. Injured player can be put back on team any time.

Dobber Sports Icon

Well done on the draft. Hopefully the Lightning can go on a long run so you can put some money (or at least bragging rights) into your bank.

Dobber Sports Padawan

I see I didn't say who we took with our 1st pick, 2nd overall. Kucherov went 1st so we took MacKinnon 2nd overall. He is looking good so far. Our team looked OK on paper before the playoffs started but looking dicey now with 3 Caps and Tarasenko. Roster ended up Mac, Tarasenko (with our 2nd pick, 25th overall-I wasn't able to attend the actual draft but was VERY disappointed with this pick) JT Miller, Kuznetsov, Oshie, Holtby, TT, Sergachev, Schiefle and Guenzel twice. Solid team but about to lose several after this round so looks like a mid pack at best finish.
    Thanks for your input guys.
    EDIT...Oops, the POOL RULES shown below don't apply to this draft.
    SOME POOL RULES. Points only (G-1, A-1). One year Hybrid Pool. 3 round draft with balance of roster selected from any undrafted NHLer.. 19F 4 D 2 Rooks SALARIES AND POSITIONS DO NOT MATTER (other than being a F or D). NO Inter-Team Trading, Bench or Minors. Our WAIVER WIRE is ANY player in the NHL who is not Drafted in our league's 3 round draft. Each manager gets 6 ADD/DROPS (TRADES) for the year...any player on roster can be TRADED for any unDrafted F/D/R from ANY NHL team. INJURY RULE "IR". A hurt player can be replaced by another F/D from HIS NHL team and this is NOT considered a trade.. Injured player can be put back on team any time.