Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Bye Bye Birdie!!

The Great One

Default Bye Bye Birdie!!

So Ive been told by a few people Im taking things personally on here and my response is… to take it personally :P

Maybe I am taking it personally but the truth is- Im just annoyed that the tone has changed this much- its a shame. Posting here used to generate actual dialogue about why a trade is bad. If someone had an idea that wasnt popular you generally used to present an argument or have a dialogue about why you think said idea might have merit. Now if you go against the grain your a dumbass or bad. I used to come for the discourse. Im not really ok with a discussion about how bad I am at fantasy hockey or how my posts are too "show offy"??? Even posts complaining that I post too much- why is that an issue? Im enthusiastic about a passion I really enjoy.I make comments to help, give my opinion and most of all have a discussion why I generally view things a certain way. Thats also why I post the moves I make or am considering making. You used to be encouraged to do that. I dont post advice as much as I used to but I still chime into to do that- were all going through things and Im a single parent right now so that cuts into my posting team. That being said I respond to a lot of PMs from older posters who still want to know what my opinion is.

Anyways- its like yelling at a storm cloud- its just what this place is now- sorry if that sounds dramatic but I mean cmon- Ive posted three times this week and all three threads are barely talking about the hockey assets. Im not angry- Im just a little annoyed and mostly bored of it. If people want to pump their tires because something non-traditional is an easy target- they can find a better target cause Ill lash back every time. Im not great at tolerating stupdity- its one of my few short comings- that and not being able to fly even though Im a bird- that one kind of stands out too.

If youre having fun on here- power to you- I used to love it. Id advise that the loudest posters arent always right. Id also advise that the correct posters arent always correct. Question why something has mainstream appeal. If something looks dumb (in your own pooling)- do some digging- maybe theres anangle you hadnt considered. This hobby is the most fun when to me when you do something contrarian and it pans out. That doesnt mean going off on a tangent for no gain, or for the sake of being contrarian- but if youre not actively looking for ways to better your team outside the scope of what quantifies public opinion- you really are doing yourself a disservice.

God bless- last rant from the bird- take care gents. No sour grapes- if youre getting what you need here keep coming back! And if youre not- Ill see you at the next place!! For real no hard feelings- this place was a great place to learn and a lot of fun. Who lows maybe one day when things arent so uppity Ill take a shot at coming back :P

[email protected]
    Message me if you have questions, discussions, thoughts about fantasy hockey- I still love helping people figure out their roster conundrums and player valuations!!

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Re: Bye Bye Birdie!!

I for one, think you're taking it too personally but that's my opinion, and God knows I'm not always right.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

No need to take it personally buddy..everyone has different opinions. I just picked up Mittelstadt for Roslovic and so far all the posts have been in favour of the Roslovic side and that is totally cool with me. I would rather take a gamble on upside but I enjoy hearing other opinions even if others disagree with the move. I am stoked to have Mitts and I still believe in him! This is all in good fun man!

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by Elpidio1975 View Post
    No need to take it personally buddy..everyone has different opinions. I just picked up Mittelstadt for Roslovic and so far all the posts have been in favour of the Roslovic side and that is totally cool with me. I would rather take a gamble on upside but I enjoy hearing other opinions even if others disagree with the move. I am stoked to have Mitts and I still believe in him! This is all in good fun man!
    I hope Mittelstadt totally rocks it for you so you can celebrate that acquisition!

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Welp, I just wrote a huge post out basically showing you how everything you've said about your past three threads has been wrong (with the exception of one or two people maybe being a little bit rude) but I pressed the back button on my mouse and it deleted all of my text.

In short though, you're being a little be petulant right now and I don't think that's a real resemblance of the birdie that has helped me and many others so many times on here. You've made some really really questionable trades recently and people are right to call you out on it, this isn't a forum for people to only pat you on the head when you make a great trade, sometimes you need a head wobble to realize you need to take a step back.

I mean no offence, I thank you for all your help and if you're going to leave, do so, no need to make a post. I hope you don't and consider that people are genuinely trying to help you (which they are, I've read through your last like 10 posts while I was writing my previous reply). I can't be bothered to rewrite the whole thing but again, people are not attacking you and in almost all the cases were relevant to hockey talk, you just didn't like the answers you were getting and took that the wrong way.

Thanks for everything regardless, good luck, hope you stay!

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

thanks buddy

Dobber Sports Newbie

Last edited by topcrickets; August 4, 2020 at 5:08 AM.

Dobber Sports Icon

To be fair, you have started 18 posts in the last 11 days:

1 of them was to say that the forums have gone downhill and people are mean
    2 of them were recruiting ads for leagues/pools
    2 of them were for advice on potential trades but then you made the trade before receiving any advice
    3 of them were asking for evaluations on your team, your prospects and your keepers
    5 of them were on trades you made
    5 of them were asking for advice on possible trades with 1 of these you making a move against all of the advice

For the most part, people on these forums are trying to give their honest opinions when they are asked for it. Most of us love talking hockey so we are willing to spend time researching other people's teams in other leagues to make sure we are giving solid advice. There are going to be times when people give bad advice or make hurtful remarks but there's no reason to take it personally. If you want advice from the forums then ask for it before making your decisions otherwise it rubs people the wrong way.

If you are getting joy out of these forums, then keep using them. If the forums are not bringing you joy, then move on. It's as easy as that.

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by chuckcouples View Post
    To be fair, you have started 18 posts in the last 11 days:

1 of them was to say that the forums have gone downhill and people are mean
    2 of them were recruiting ads for leagues/pools
    2 of them were for advice on potential trades but then you made the trade before receiving any advice
    3 of them were asking for evaluations on your team, your prospects and your keepers
    5 of them were on trades you made
    5 of them were asking for advice on possible trades with 1 of these you making a move against all of the advice

For the most part, people on these forums are trying to give their honest opinions when they are asked for it. Most of us love talking hockey so we are willing to spend time researching other people's teams in other leagues to make sure we are giving solid advice. There are going to be times when people give bad advice or make hurtful remarks but there's no reason to take it personally. If you want advice from the forums then ask for it before making your decisions otherwise it rubs people the wrong way.

If you are getting joy out of these forums, then keep using them. If the forums are not bringing you joy, then move on. It's as easy as that.
    Exactly this. (Especially the last sentence).

And to be honest, I don't think the OP was ever really interested in advice. (Why post trade after trade after trade that you've already made if you are looking for advice?) I think he was looking for general hockey talk, but doing it in a way that elicited responses he wasn't interested in.

Dobber Sports Superstar

I'm sorry you feel that way and I also understand that no one likes to get dumped on.

I have a bit of perspective moving forward for you to consider. I agree with the majority that most of the trades you have made recently have not been good and you have come out on the losing end, hurting your team and setting you back. Pretty much everyone on these forums wants to help you (and everyone else) succeed. They want to see you win those trades or at the very least not see you lose them terribly. They invest themselves in your team and situation, almost like it's their team and they want to see you, and by extension them, succeed. The first time a poor trade is made the feedback is typically ok, mistake made, here's what you should have done (typically asking for advice in advance and working through a trade before making it). When this advice is not followed and the process repeats once and then multiple times, these people who want to help and see you succeed get frustrated; and with it being the internet there typically aren't much in the ways of filters.

So Perspective: The above is where the negativity is coming from. When you ask a question, people become invested in your team and situation and spend time to research and provide advice. When there does not appear to be any attempt to follow it or try to improve, they get frustrated having wasted their time and not being able to help.

And Advice: Come here first to ask questions before making a trade. You get better more in depth feedback. If you've already made the trade, people will likely just throw out a short yay or nay answer where you will be moderately praised or dumped on hard depending on the trade. It's not nearly as constructive.

Regardless, all the best and keep enjoying your fantasy hockey!

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Kofax View Post
    I'm sorry you feel that way and I also understand that no one likes to get dumped on.

I have a bit of perspective moving forward for you to consider. I agree with the majority that most of the trades you have made recently have not been good and you have come out on the losing end, hurting your team and setting you back. Pretty much everyone on these forums wants to help you (and everyone else) succeed. They want to see you win those trades or at the very least not see you lose them terribly. They invest themselves in your team and situation, almost like it's their team and they want to see you, and by extension them, succeed. The first time a poor trade is made the feedback is typically ok, mistake made, here's what you should have done (typically asking for advice in advance and working through a trade before making it). When this advice is not followed and the process repeats once and then multiple times, these people who want to help and see you succeed get frustrated; and with it being the internet there typically aren't much in the ways of filters.

So Perspective: The above is where the negativity is coming from. When you ask a question, people become invested in your team and situation and spend time to research and provide advice. When there does not appear to be any attempt to follow it or try to improve, they get frustrated having wasted their time and not being able to help.

And Advice: Come here first to ask questions before making a trade. You get better more in depth feedback. If you've already made the trade, people will likely just throw out a short yay or nay answer where you will be moderately praised or dumped on hard depending on the trade. It's not nearly as constructive.

Regardless, all the best and keep enjoying your fantasy hockey!
    Well said! +1
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Administrator

Honestly I think you have a problem. Mass impulse decisions (trades, usually going strongly against good advice) leads to really bad outcomes if this makes its way into other areas of life. I am really concerned.

Regarding the feedback, everyone that posts here is a volunteer. Nobody is paid to give advice. After multiple ongoing threads of ignored advice, yeah people are going to feel like they are wasting time. I don't blame anyone if the tone of replies changed. Brutal honesty is a lot better than a coddly echo chamber praising bad decisions. We don't want to enable bad decisions. That's not why the forum exists.

Please take care of yourself.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Genius

I'm certainly not uppity.
    Hockey Pools? Too many to mention. Points only, salary cap and dynasty.

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    Honestly I think you have a problem. Mass impulse decisions (trades, usually going strongly against good advice) leads to really bad outcomes if this makes its way into other areas of life. I am really concerned.

Regarding the feedback, everyone that posts here is a volunteer. Nobody is paid to give advice. After multiple ongoing threads of ignored advice, yeah people are going to feel like they are wasting time. I don't blame anyone if the tone of replies changed. Brutal honesty is a lot better than a coddly echo chamber praising bad decisions. We don't want to enable bad decisions. That's not why the forum exists.

Please take care of yourself.
    Not all outside the box ideas are bad. Not all good advice will work out- or is even sound.

Much much more importantly: "Im worried you have a problem"?? If I did have a mental health issue why in the **** would you attack someone in that specific fashion?? In a humiliating tone "coddly echo chamber" and "enable bad decsiosns"- nothing there sounds like genuine concern. If you thought I was volatile or unstable shame on you for taking an ahressive and humiliating tack on a public forum- gutless. Get help you ****in dunce. Ive played in leagues with you- what a shithe@d thing to say to someone. Having pooled with you youre the last gm Id take advice from- youre a habs homer and bad at the hobby. See how I did that? I lashed out without gaslighting or taking a cheap shot at your mental health- just said the truth. Youre a douchebag f@ckbag whose player valuations make Bergevin look like a savant! I really hope you never experience the kind of issues where you do need help. Thats ****in sad- maybe Im being a bit petulant- a little melodramatic but shame on you. TWhat youredoing is f@ckin gross- gaslighting someone over trade advice and wether they listened to it or not. You need help bud- thats the slimiest thing anyone has said the whole time- at least the other shit was in above board. F@ckin blocked- what a sh@tbag...

How are you a mod here?? My 8 year old practices better online decorum. Troll as f@ck. Youre a joke Eric- any respect I had for you went down the toilet. Just garbage...

The Great One

Cant even leave the site without this sh@t. Enjoy your time here people- just know this place used to be awesome- where you could explore different ideas. Dont go against the grain now or youll have your mental health attacked...