Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Are either of these enough of a return?

The Great One

Default Are either of these enough of a return?

So I already accepted one and it came down to believeing in the goalie more.

i moved Vasy. Im rebuilding and my trying to be clever was to add a high upside forward and dman with a "cant miss" goalie. In each deal they insisted on Ty Smith as well. I like Ty Smith but I worry a bit about hios offense in the NHL. Please dont hate on that part- it was a judgement call and Ive still got Hronek/Bouchard behind the D man I got back so my young D is still progressing well.

Vasy and Smitty

For
    '
    Deal 1- Saros, Yamo, Q Hughes
    * Id have the HUghes brothers? Not a huge fan of Daros to bank on. Hes shown interest in Bobrovsky as well.

Deal 2- Soroykin, Heiskanen Olofsson
    * Soroykin fits my timeline, I love Heiskanen and the league is goal and sog weighted (in sig)- so goal scorers like Goalofsson have added value...

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Re: Are either of these enough of a return?

I like #2 more than #1 but not sure I'd make either move at this point. I assume you'd have to drop someone to make either move work as well, which makes this trade bigger than shown.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    I like #2 more than #1 but not sure I'd make either move at this point. I assume you'd have to drop someone to make either move work as well, which makes this trade bigger than shown.
    Agree with Axe - who would you have to drop? Thinking I would hold onto Vas till season starts then look at trading him. You will know who the contenders are and who needs a goalie. You probably need to upgrade your F's more than D to win in this league.
    Option 2 is better bet, but I think it will be still there after season starts and maybe +.
    Piranha Hockey League est 1990 - Oakley Doakley's - 16 teams
    Pts only W=2 OL=1 SO=3 Auction Draft

WHL - est 2016 Expansion - Glasgow Kiss - 24 teams
    25 pro players / 10 minor league players
    G,A,+/-,PPP,SOG,Hits,Blk,PIM,FOW, W,Sv,GA,SHO

The Great One

You took over this team and the first thing you did was trade a crap load to acquire Vasi and Bob. And less then a week later you are going full rebuild and trading them?

Dobber Sports Veteran

Stop. Step away. Take a break.

Vasilevsky is arguably the best goaltender to own for the next....decade maybe?

So unless you're getting a McDavid, Draistal or MacKinnon, don't move him.

There's a reason the goalie position is so volatile, because there are limited positions and it takes having a the right team / scenario in place for them to succeed.

Tampa Bay is in a perfect spot right now, and Vasi has the talent, age and contract for him to hold down the #1 spot.

Baring a ridiculous injury or the Tampa Bay GM getting super drunk / high and destroying the team, Vasilevsky is going to pump out that stats for you for the foreseeable future.
    Evansville Icemen District-5 Ducks
    LOEGM - 12 GM H2H Keeper
    G A PT SOG STA STG TRUC FOW
    W GA SV SV% SO
    WHL - 24 GM H2H Salary
    G A +/- PIM SOG PPP HIT BLK FOW
    W GA SV SO
    View Roster View Roster

Dobber Sports Icon

You do realize that Vasilevski is younger than Saros and he's 11 months older than Sorokin. He's also the most valuable fantasy goalie in the NHL. I have no idea why you would want to trade him at this point. It doesn't matter if you are rebuilding or contending, he's already a top calibre goalie and that's not going to change in 3 years.

My advice in two steps:

1) Keep Vasilevski.

2) Walk away from any trade talks for at least a month. Figure out what you want to do with your team during that time and then write down your plan so you remember what you figured out during your timeout.

The Great One

No drop- Im happy with the return. I traded Binnington and Kaprizov for Vasileskit- I got Heiskanen, Soroykin and Olofsson back.

Theres overtrading.

Then theres trading when value presents itself (when vasy was unexpectedly available).

Then theres trading to pursue an end result (rebuilding).

Im very happy with this deal. I added a Heiskanen and the trade of Kaprizov to Olofsson adds more stability. People freak out that I make a lot of trades but you can have a plan and still make "value" trades as they arise. Im confident that between the long off season and faith in my own abilities Ill come out ahead. Soroykin could make this deal look fantastic as early as next year even though Im targetting two years from now.

Oh yea- I took deal two

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by evans334 View Post
    Stop. Step away. Take a break.

Vasilevsky is arguably the best goaltender to own for the next....decade maybe?

So unless you're getting a McDavid, Draistal or MacKinnon, don't move him.

There's a reason the goalie position is so volatile, because there are limited positions and it takes having a the right team / scenario in place for them to succeed.

Tampa Bay is in a perfect spot right now, and Vasi has the talent, age and contract for him to hold down the #1 spot.

Baring a ridiculous injury or the Tampa Bay GM getting super drunk / high and destroying the team, Vasilevsky is going to pump out that stats for you for the foreseeable future.
    This. You will rue the day you traded Vas, especially for that return.

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by Fighting_Emu View Post
    No drop- Im happy with the return. I traded Binnington and Kaprizov for Vasileskit- I got Heiskanen, Soroykin and Olofsson back.

Theres overtrading.

Then theres trading when value presents itself (when vasy was unexpectedly available).

Im very happy with this deal. I added a Heiskanen and the trade of Kaprizov to Olofsson adds more stability. People freak out that I make a lot of trades but you can have a plan and still make "value" trades as they arise. Im confident that between the long off season and faith in my own abilities Ill come out ahead. Soroykin could make this deal look fantastic as early as next year even though Im targetting two years from now.

Oh yea- I took deal two
    Actually, you traded Binnington, Kaprisov and Byram for Vasi, Horvat and Elvenes. The you flipped Horvat and Korpisalo for Bob. And then you said you were set in goal for 10 years.

It's no wonder you are trading for players you've just traded in the past few days. You keep changing between "win now" and "win in 3 to 5 years".

Dobber Sports Deity

As long as you're having fun, at the end of the day, that's the important thing.

My only question is why are you asking for advice if you aren't willing to listen to it when it's in the majority of what you are doing? LOL!
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Veteran

Theres overtrading.

Oh yea- I took deal two
    This is an underwhelming return for such a bonafide asset, in my opinion, but if you are happy with the return then that's good.

I'm all for moving players when a deal presents itself, no asset is untouchable, but you moved a blue chip stock option for a bunch of penny stocks hoping for a boom.

Looking back I would prefer having Binnington and Kaprizov, over Sorokin, Hieskanen and Olfsson, but to each there own.
    LOEGM - 12 GM H2H Keeper
    W GA SV SV% SO
    WHL - 24 GM H2H Salary
    W GA SV SO
    View Roster View Roster

Dobber Sports Titan

People freak out that I make a lot of trades but you can have a plan and still make "value" trades as they arise. Im confident that between the long off season and faith in my own abilities Ill come out ahead.
    I don't have any issue with making a lot of trades. I make a lot myself and it can be a great avenue to success. My issue is with the second statement there in that I don't agree that you're getting nearly as much value as you think you are out of these deals. I could very well be proven wrong on some or most of them, and that happens. However, when most of us here on the boards think you aren't getting enough value on the star players you're trading, it means you're leaving perceived value on the table. The more you can milk out of those trades, the better off you will be, and then you will still end up acquiring the guys you want - just ends up with a better supporting cast around them.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by als_revenge View Post
    Actually, you traded Binnington, Kaprisov and Byram for Vasi, Horvat and Elvenes. The you flipped Horvat and Korpisalo for Bob. And then you said you were set in goal for 10 years.

It's no wonder you are trading for players you've just traded in the past few days. You keep changing between "win now" and "win in 3 to 5 years".

Yea I flip flopped. The top teams are ridiculous. Being set in goal wouldnt matter much in a league where the top team has Eichel, Pettersen, Draisaitl, Huberdeau, Marner, AS, Makar and Dahlon flying out every night. I made a conscious decision to commit to a full on re-build. Not that I need permission to do so but if you want to pump our ego more at my expense maybe acclimate yourself with the situation a bit first? Man- I feel more and more like these are just ego building boards for insecure people. How difficult is it to talk about fantasy hockey lately!! Lmao- 9 out of ten posts are just grumpy posters whining that I trade/post/talk too much. Its a forum for a hobby we love people- take the stick out of your butt and write something fun!!!

Dobber Sports Veteran

Yea I flip flopped. The top teams are ridiculous. Being set in goal wouldnt matter much in a league where the top team has Eichel, Pettersen, Draisaitl, Huberdeau, Marner, AS, Makar and Dahlon flying out every night. I made a conscious decision to commit to a full on re-build. Not that I need permission to do so but if you want to pump our ego more at my expense maybe acclimate yourself with the situation a bit first? Man- I feel more and more like these are just ego building boards for insecure people. How difficult is it to talk about fantasy hockey lately!! Lmao- 9 out of ten posts are just grumpy posters whining that I trade/post/talk too much. Its a forum for a hobby we love people- take the stick out of your butt and write something fun!!!
    LOL, says the guy who posts asking if the trades he made are good or not.

My point we more so that I would have expected more in return for that type of player, regardless, do you and defend your logic, but don't push back when there's contrary opinion.
    LOEGM - 12 GM H2H Keeper
    W GA SV SV% SO
    WHL - 24 GM H2H Salary
    W GA SV SO
    View Roster View Roster

The Great One

If my posts come across as snarky, I apologize. IT's not the intent. Obviously you can trade and post all you want.

My larger point is simply this: I think you'd get better value if you did less impulse trades. The fact that you switched from "win now" to "full rebuild" in less than a week (and a crap ton of trades) is an indication that you are trading without evaluating your team, or the league, or player valuations. Which is the most common "error" I find with rookie GMs.

But if you just join leagues to trade and have fun, go nuts (and I mean that sincerely). But people will be honest on the boards about your individual trades, or your lack of long-term strategy.