Thread: Mike Tyson coming out of retirement

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Mike Tyson coming out of retirement

Not MMA/WWE but it's the closest section of the forum to post this.

Tyson vs Roy Jones Jr coming this fall. Sounds like a good opportunity for both fighters to cash in one more time.

https://www.cbssports.com/boxing/new...his-september/

After months of talk and training montages, Mike Tyson finally has an opponent for his return to the ring. Tyson will take on fellow boxing legend and former four-division world champion Roy Jones Jr. in an eight-round exhibition fight scheduled for Sept. 12.

Tyson had been linked to a potential fight with former rival Evander Holyfield as "Iron Mike" explored the possibility of fighting exhibition bouts for charity. One thing Tyson was clear about was that he only wanted to fight legitimate boxers, not celebrities or athletes crossing over from other sports.

Jones is exactly that. As one of the greatest boxers in history, Jones began his career at 154 pounds and won titles at middleweight, super middleweight and light heavyweight before a historic move to heavyweight where he defeated John Ruiz to become heavyweight champion of the world.

Jones, 51, last fought in February 2018, picking up his fourth straight victory over middling competition. Tyson, 54, last fought in June 2011, retiring after refusing to continue after the sixth round of a fight with Kevin McBride.

The fight will be sanctioned by the California State Athletic Commission and will air on pay-per-view and social media platform Triller. According to a press release, Triller is also creating a "ten-part docuseries featuring behind-the-scenes, pre-fight footage, releasing two episodes per week leading up to the match."

According to a report from Yahoo! Sports' Kevin Iole, Jones and Tyson have agreed to fight with large gloves and without the intention of trying to score a knockout. The bout is expected to take place at Dignity Health Sports Arena in Los Angeles with a full undercard as well as musical performances.

The event is attached to a recently announced Tyson venture, "Mike Tyson's Legends Only League." A press release Wednesday stated, "Mike Tyson, and Eros Innovations have launched Mike Tyson's Legends Only League, a next-generation sports venture that provides full support and infrastructure to the world's greatest athletes, bringing the best of the best back to the ring, onto the court, and back on the field. The league will span live sporting events including tennis, basketball, boxing, and more."

The involvement of several new companies, an agreement to not try for knockouts and the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic gives some pause to the idea the event will cross the finish line, or be a financial success if it does.

Jones was interviewed by Sports.ru ahead of the announcement, saying it would be "crazy" to receive an offer to fight Tyson and refuse.

"I had no intention of going back and fighting again but, for the sake of Mike Tyson, I agree to make an exception," Jones said. "For me, this is an opportunity that I cannot refuse. Of all those who wanted to go into the ring with him, he chose me. And since he did that, how can I say no?"
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Immortal

Default Re: Mike Tyson coming out of retirement

Haha wowwwwww no way.

Dobber Sports Padawan

This is pretty cool - Tyson and Jones were both huge draws in their day so I suspect this will generate a tonne of interest. Curious to see the undercards.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

This seems like a terrible idea

Administrator

Classic idea that's better on paper than in practice. Fortunately for promoters they already have the money before people are disappointed.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    This seems like a terrible idea
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

Dobber Sports Padawan

Nah, it's just an exhibition. What could possibly go wrong?

Capture44.JPG

Dobber Sports Genius

My prediction for the fight.
    Hockey Pools? Too many to mention. Points only, salary cap and dynasty.

Dobber Sports Deity

I dont know about RJJ but I know Tyson has been hitting the gym hard. He's shared some clips of his training and I must say, he looks ripped and quick. There's a few videos of his training but I'll clip one here.

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Superstar

Can't see me paying to watch this
    Piranha Hockey League est 1990 - Oakley Doakley's - 16 teams
    Pts only W=2 OL=1 SO=3 Auction Draft

WHL - est 2016 Expansion - Glasgow Kiss - 24 teams
    25 pro players / 10 minor league players
    G,A,+/-,PPP,SOG,Hits,Blk,PIM,FOW, W,Sv,GA,SHO

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Magicstew View Post
    Can't see me paying to watch this
    I wont pay to watch it either but I still find it fun and exciting.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Tyson is still a beast. While I won't pay to watch it, I am interested in seeing it (for free, lol).