Poll: Leafs vs CBJ

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 8 9 10 11 12 13

Thread: Toronto Maple Leafs (8) vs Columbus Blue Jackets (9) - East Play In Round

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Re: Toronto Maple Leafs (8) vs Columbus Blue Jackets (9) - East Play In Round

Quote Originally Posted by blayze View Post
    What are people ripping Keefe for? (legit question I try to avoid the local media here)

I think he made the right moves. Loading up the top line worked in game 4 and would've been foolish to break up for game 5. That leaves Nylander at C... what else can you do. Johnsson/Robertson wouldn't have made a diff.

At some point the players have to be held accountable.
    Loading up one line was one thing. I can't remember all the things but I could google to find more.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: Toronto Maple Leafs (8) vs Columbus Blue Jackets (9) - East Play In Round

4 roster moves Keefe made.

Johnsson in over Robertson
    Loading up the top line
    Nylander at 2C for that long
    Marincin over Sandin

That's reall the only roster moves he made in the series. I personally wouldn't have done AJ over Robertson. That's a "I coached him in the Marlies and he came in after a long layoff due to injury and came in and lit it up." Loading up the top line worked, I personally wouldn't have done that off the bat for that long. But it was def needed. Nylander at 2C was awful, but it is what it is. I would have tried Kerfoot at 2C with Nylander but there could have been a reason. Marincin over Sandin....that was a risk where he fit the PK role best for Muzzin, but that was it. Once Barrie went down, Marincin got too many increased minutes he doesn't specialize in.

However, nothing Keefe did was worth the kind of flack I've seen.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    4 roster moves Keefe made.

Johnsson in over Robertson
    Loading up the top line
    Nylander at 2C for that long
    Marincin over Sandin

That's reall the only roster moves he made in the series. I personally wouldn't have done AJ over Robertson. That's a "I coached him in the Marlies and he came in after a long layoff due to injury and came in and lit it up." Loading up the top line worked, I personally wouldn't have done that off the bat for that long. But it was def needed. Nylander at 2C was awful, but it is what it is. I would have tried Kerfoot at 2C with Nylander but there could have been a reason. Marincin over Sandin....that was a risk where he fit the PK role best for Muzzin, but that was it. Once Barrie went down, Marincin got too many increased minutes he doesn't specialize in.

However, nothing Keefe did was worth the kind of flack I've seen.
    I didnt have a problem with inserting Johnsson over Robertson. I realize Leafs fans/media are excited about Robertson, and want him to get his shot, and he will, but he was a rookie in the playoffs (playins???) so the trust isn't there yet. I don't see a reason for anyone to criticize that call.

I will say that the lineup was very thin once the $33M line left the ice. It was a different game. When they were on the ice, they dominated play but couldn't beat Korpisalo. I know folks will say they didn't score, which is true, but I get just as much credit to Korpisalo for shutting them down (along with Jones/Werenski) as much as I do criticize them for not scoring. They had some excellent looks but Korpi was on his game. Once they were on the bench, they were a different team. Columbus pushed them around and controlled the play. Should they have evened out their lineup more? Probably, but if that line had scored a goal or two, no one would be criticizing the decision. What this really showed was the lack of depth on that roster and you can't criticize Keefe for that.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Titan

Like I said, The AJ over Robertson is just a personal thing. I'm not faulting any choice on that.

The loaded line worked. Just didn't...

Again, all the choices he made, weren't bad. Just didn't work out, or I personally wouldn't have done it. And it is what it is. I have 0 issues with what Keefe did.

It's "Leaf Fans" who are upset, not hockey fans. And the media feeds the "Leaf Fans" narratives. Nylander is still trash in their mind, and forget he had 2g,2a in 5 games at 6.9mill. Had 1 bad game in game 5 where he was used as center against a large imposing team, first time at center in months. It was a difficult task. Nylander is the Gardiner of 2019/2020. Media feeds the "Leaf Fans" mouths.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

The Great One

The only thing Keefe did that made me scratch my chin was the timeout in game 3 in OT..........without having the last change......im still wondering why nobody is making it a big deal

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

I really don't think Keefe deserves much of the critique he's getting. He did everything he could with the players he had. The players lost this series flat out. Maybe call in some bad puck luck but the entire Jackets roster makes as much as the top 4 Leafs. This roster seems WAY out of balance. The idea of top loading a line is great and if they scored once or twice, we're not having this dicussion. But they failed to do so despite looking very impressive. Nylander is miss cast as a C. May have been better to have Spezza, Kerfoot or Engvall in there.

but all that is hindsight.