Thread: Does PLD have true 1C potential?

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Does PLD have true 1C potential?

This is not a fantasy hockey question but a real life hockey question.

An interesting read on The Athletic where Ray Ferraro, Keith Jones and Mike Johnson discuss, in their opinion, if he ever reaches the level that garners being recognized as a true 1C.

What is your thoughts on Dubios? Do you think he ever fills out to that 1C potential?
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Jedi

Default Re: Does PLD have true 1C potential?

I guess this depends on the definition of a true #1. A guy that you rely on in the last min of the game on both sides of the score sheet. A solid two way player A top point producer on the team & leader.

Does he ever reach status like Thornton/Kopitar/Barkov/Bergeron?

I've avoiding the true elite C's for obvious reasons

Do we consider someone like ROR or Couturier a true #1C?

Personally I think he ends up falling in that #1B category - more like a Pavelski, Monahan, Horvat
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Titan

True #1 centre is an odd thing to answer. Because Bozak was a #1 center with the Leafs because of his ability to play with talent on his wings, and the ability to win faceoffs/play defensive on the Leafs team.

Will PLD be a top 31/32 center? Prolly. I'll say that like 20-32 range. The bottom 1/3 of top centres. He's that No1 center on teams built like the blue jackets. He's a No2 or No3 center on a team built with offense.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    True #1 centre is an odd thing to answer. Because Bozak was a #1 center with the Leafs because of his ability to play with talent on his wings, and the ability to win faceoffs/play defensive on the Leafs team.

Will PLD be a top 31/32 center? Prolly. I'll say that like 20-32 range. The bottom 1/3 of top centres. He's that No1 center on teams built like the blue jackets. He's a No2 or No3 center on a team built with offense.
    To me, you DID answer the question.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post

Ahh... but he was a #1C on default. Not because you couldn't replace him. Well.... Burke/Nonis couldn't - but that's beside the point.

For me a TRUE #1C is a guy you move to any other team and he's the #1C or creates a Matthews/Tavares or Crosby/Malkin situation. You move Bozak in his 'prime' to Pitts - he's clearly a #3C... In TB four years ago he's behind Stamkos & T. Johnson. It took Babcock to create a trust situation for Kadri to become valuable and reliable enough to move to a #2 role. I doubt anyone would argue against Kadri > Bozak at their peaks.... but no one will argue Kadri is a 'true #1C' or perhaps even a #1C at all.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Titan

Ya, the Bozak example is to point out the difference between #1 center, and top 31/32 center.

I like the top 31/32 ranking over No1 center. Because in my head, Matthews/Tavares, Matthews is the No1 center. But both are top 31/32 centers.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll