Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Need help choosing who to keep

Dobber Sports Newbie

Default Need help choosing who to keep

First time posting.
    Am in a dynasty cap league.
    I have been fortunate enough (because of dobber's lists) to have drafted my goalies very well.
    Presently, my two active goalies are Hellebuyck and Blackwood (both doing well in standard categories), whereas my farm team has Merzilkins and Kahkonen.
    As soon as a goalie hits 60 games played, he is automatically lost if not moved to the main roster. Which will happen to Elvis this year...
    So my thoughts are these.
    Hellebuyck is a stud and will continue to get points, and maybe more if the team fixes the "d". His salary if affordable on a cap.
    I believe Merzlikins to be in a better situation (team and coaching) than Blackwood.
    Kahkonen can be stashed for another year on my farm team as he will not hit 60 games played in the 20-21 season, therefore setting up my futur in net.
    Thing is, even though Blackwood is performing well, any reasonnable trade proposal I have made to pass him on to someone in need of a goalie has been shot down.
    Should I trade Hellebuyck?
    Merzlikins?
    Drop Blackwood for peanuts?.
    My team needs both depth on forwards and d (in a 20 team league, each team has 22 [2g-7d-13f] iced players and 15 in the farm makes for a very deep league!!!)
    Thanks for your help.

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: Need help choosing who to keep

Welcome to the forums!

Shop both Blackwood and Elvis. You should be able to get a solid return for one of them, most likely Elvis due to the recency bias.

Have you offered both up to the league in a trade block? What kind of offers have been shot down?
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Quote Originally Posted by Dave1099 View Post
    First time posting.
    Am in a dynasty cap league.
    I have been fortunate enough (because of dobber's lists) to have drafted my goalies very well.
    Presently, my two active goalies are Hellebuyck and Blackwood (both doing well in standard categories), whereas my farm team has Merzilkins and Kahkonen.
    As soon as a goalie hits 60 games played, he is automatically lost if not moved to the main roster. Which will happen to Elvis this year...
    So my thoughts are these.
    Hellebuyck is a stud and will continue to get points, and maybe more if the team fixes the "d". His salary if affordable on a cap.
    I believe Merzlikins to be in a better situation (team and coaching) than Blackwood.
    Kahkonen can be stashed for another year on my farm team as he will not hit 60 games played in the 20-21 season, therefore setting up my futur in net.
    Thing is, even though Blackwood is performing well, any reasonnable trade proposal I have made to pass him on to someone in need of a goalie has been shot down.
    Should I trade Hellebuyck?
    Merzlikins?
    Drop Blackwood for peanuts?.
    My team needs both depth on forwards and d (in a 20 team league, each team has 22 [2g-7d-13f] iced players and 15 in the farm makes for a very deep league!!!)
    Thanks for your help.
    Hey, welcome,

For proper advice, you should post your full team and the points categories.

Dobber Sports Jedi

Can you not leave Merz in the minors until game 60? Giving you time to move Blackwood?

Is there a reason you can't carry 3 goalies on your main roster?
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Newbie

I've tried persuing young d-men, such as Fox and DeAngelo in straight up trades... points have been adjusted in our league to reflect each position's contribution. I.e : Blackwood and DeAngelo had a 10 pts difference in Blackwood's favor.
    Shopping Merzlikins is a good idea, but I am afraid dealing him will come back and bite me!

Dobber Sports Newbie

Team : flyers
    G: blackwood, hellebuyck
    D: werenski, ekblad, byfuglien, kylington, sergachev, butcher, matheson
    F: aho, gallagher, johansan, patrick, aston reese, huberdeau, nichuskin, vesey, debrincat, heinen, gurianov, schmaltz, kunin, stephenson, suomela
    Farm: merzlikins, kahkonen, brooks, duzsak, honka czarnik, kaprizov, blichfeld, kurachev and mathieu joseph
    Pts:
    F: 1 pts for goal and ass
    For All: 1 pts per point on powerplay and 0.1 pts for shot on net
    D: 1.5 pts for goals and ass
    G: 2 pts win and 0.1 pts for saves
    And the dreaded +/-

Dobber Sports Titan

Shopping Merzlikins is a good idea, but I am afraid dealing him will come back and bite me!
    Possibly, but if he gets you an even better return, your team is likely better for it in the long run.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!

Dobber Sports Newbie

Rules state 2 active on main roster... and yes for merzlikins on on the farm til game 60, but it just pushes back the problem that i want to deal with in the offseason

Dobber Sports Titan

Rules state 2 active on main roster... and yes for merzlikins on on the farm til game 60, but it just pushes back the problem that i want to deal with in the offseason
    Sometimes being impatient and forcing yourself into a trade is how you lose deals. If the right deal comes along, then great, otherwise, set yourself a deadline that you take the best deal offered for other Elvis or Blackwood by the time Elvis gets to game 51 in-season.

Dobber Sports Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    Possibly, but if he gets you an even better return, your team is likely better for it in the long run.
    You are right...

The Great One

Team : flyers
    G: blackwood, hellebuyck
    D: werenski, ekblad, byfuglien, kylington, sergachev, butcher, matheson
    F: aho, gallagher, johansan, patrick, aston reese, huberdeau, nichuskin, vesey, debrincat, heinen, gurianov, schmaltz, kunin, stephenson, suomela
    Farm: merzlikins, kahkonen, brooks, duzsak, honka czarnik, kaprizov, blichfeld, kurachev and mathieu joseph
    Pts:
    F: 1 pts for goal and ass
    For All: 1 pts per point on powerplay and 0.1 pts for shot on net
    D: 1.5 pts for goals and ass
    G: 2 pts win and 0.1 pts for saves
    And the dreaded +/-
    If you get 1 pt for an ass, I'd absolutely load up on Toronto Maple Leafs' players.

Like others, I'd post both Elvis and Blackwood on your trade block. One thing you'll have to consider is that other GMs know that are you squeezed and will have to make a trade. So your really need to be working the lines and trying to drum up a market. Because eventually, you'll have to settle for the best offer available. PS: for whatever it's worth, I would not call Kahkonen someone who is locking up your future in goal. He's a hit or miss prospect goalie to me.

Dobber Sports Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by als_revenge View Post
    If you get 1 pt for an ass, I'd absolutely load up on Toronto Maple Leafs' players.

Like others, I'd post both Elvis and Blackwood on your trade block. One thing you'll have to consider is that other GMs know that are you squeezed and will have to make a trade. So your really need to be working the lines and trying to drum up a market. Because eventually, you'll have to settle for the best offer available. PS: for whatever it's worth, I would not call Kahkonen someone who is locking up your future in goal. He's a hit or miss prospect goalie to me.
    I have to agree with you that other members of the pool see me coming from a mile away. However, being able to get a viable offer before i'm really squeezed will be key.

Btw, i see kahkonen as equal to blackwood down the line... both are going to be handed the reins to a team with fading #1's and have little competition internally for the jobs

Thanks for your advice and help!

Dobber Sports Stud

Dave where did you finish this season?

Dobber Sports Newbie

Fifth... 300 pts out of first, but to his credit, first place hit the perfect storm.
    I was about 50 pts out of 3rd ( and the money)

Dobber Sports Deity

Welcome to the forums.

I agree with others and shop any and all of your goalies to get the best possible return, even Hellebuyck.

My other piece of advice is once you start getting offers, and you will get offers, bring them back here before accepting them so we can offer more advice to make sure you maximize your return.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."