Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Who to take at 12th overall

Dobber Sports Novice

Default Who to take at 12th overall

It won't be til October (sigh), but just wondering who you folks think I should take at 12th overall in my dynasty (G A PPP SOG HIT BLK) prospect draft.

On top of the 2020 draft class, there are a few stud prospects who snuck by in the last few years who could be scooped up around that time:

Nicholas Robertson (TOR)
    Nils Lundkvist (NYR)
    Nack Studnicka (BOS)
    Nils Hoglander (VAN)

Would you take any of these players over 2020 guys in that range (Jake Sanderson, Anton Lundell, Jack Quinn, etc)? Bad year to be out of the top 10, but there is time and the possibility I trade my way in.

(edit: thanks for the input gang, glad to see the forum still buzzing)

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: Who to take at 12th overall

I think the top 12 should be (in no particular order)

Rossi
    Byfield
    Laf
    Stutzle
    Raymond
    Lundell
    Robertson
    Lundkqvist
    Drysdale
    Perfetti
    Holtz
    Askarov

So grab whoever out of that set is left to you at 12.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Apprentice

If that is how the top 12 plays out (again, in no particular order) and it comes down to Lundkqvist at #12 then I would look at Jack Quinn or Seth Jarvis above him.. but if any of the others fall to you (maybe over Lundell as well, but because I think Quinn/Jarvis have better fantasy offensive upside), that's the player I would grab.
    14T dynasty
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG
    W, SV%, SO, GAA, SVS

Dobber Sports Sage

I would definitely take Robertson at 12 if he is there.
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt, Hayton
    RW- Batherson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Stone, Wilson, Raymond,
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Ristolainen, Cernak, Barrie
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Levi, Tarasov

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Mintyukov, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, Podskolvin, REvans, Dorofeyev, Anunumen

Dobber Sports Jedi

I doubt Robertson lasts to 12... I agree with EB... anyone left on that list. scoop
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Deity

Honestly, I think I'd consider most of those guys you just listed over the 2020 guys.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Wizard

i like EBs list but i would swap Lundell for Quinn...i just dont think Lundell will be a great fantasy asset..

My 12 in order

Lafreniere
    Stutzle
    Byfield
    Rossi
    Raymond
    Robertson
    Perfetti
    Holtz
    Drysdale
    Askarov
    Quinn
    Lundqvist
    14 Teams H2H Dynasty, 28 roster spots (8 bench), 15 minors under 100
    Weekly Matchups - Daily Lineups

Skaters: G/A/Pt/PIM/SoG/STP/H+B/ToI/Corsi
    Goalies: W/GAA/SVs/SV%/SHO

C: Eichel, Kadri, Mcdavid, Sodeberg, Schenn
    LW: Ehlers, Landeskog, Meier, Debrusk, Foegele, Lee
    RW: Pastrnak, Marner, Palmieri, Terry, D. Brown, Bailey, Granlund
    D: Krug, Josi, Ekholm, Faulk, Muzzin, Karlsson, Cernak,
    G: Hellebuyck, Biship, M Jones

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Honestly, I think I'd consider most of those guys you just listed over the 2020 guys.
    If you take Hoglander/Studnika over the top 12 including Robertson/Lundqvist then you're reaching, if you want those guys then I'd trade down

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by tcat View Post
    If you take Hoglander/Studnika over the top 12 including Robertson/Lundqvist then you're reaching, if you want those guys then I'd trade down
    It's all a matter of opinion. I definitely like Lundqvist and Robertson over those in that 12 area. I look at guys like Hoglander and Studnicka as two guys who have top six potential and are damn close to making the NHL. God knows how long you'd have to wait for the others from this years draft in that 12 spot range to even come close to making the NHL. I dont think they are that far off that area of 12th overall as far as value goes. I just dont see someone like Lundell/Quinn offering anything that you cant get from Hoglander and/or Studnicka.

That being said, if you are going to trade down, I wouldnt go too far.

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Titan

^I'm fine with either of those two above approaches, but generally I lean towards the newer guy just because they'll likely have some better trade value in the immediate future when I would look to shop one to improve right now anyways.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

I don't think Hoglander is that close personally. And fair enough Axeman, I was speaking more to current value than what these guys will actually turn out as. The new sparkly guys usually have more value to a lot of guys

Dobber Sports Deity

I don't think Hoglander is that close personally. And fair enough Axeman, I was speaking more to current value than what these guys will actually turn out as. The new sparkly guys usually have more value to a lot of guys
    Thats the problem, everyone is too busy looking at the sparkly stuff, and not the value stuff.

And for the record, I think you are missing out if you dont think Hoglander is that close.

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Thats the problem, everyone is too busy looking at the sparkly stuff, and not the value stuff.

And for the record, I think you are missing out if you dont think Hoglander is that close.
    I'm a Canucks fan and would love to be wrong about Hoglander!

But he's undersized, not defensively responsible and not lighting the SHL on fire pointswise. I think he's got at another year in SHL and a full year in the AHL after that, but who knows

Dobber Sports Deity

I'm a Canucks fan and would love to be wrong about Hoglander!

But he's undersized, not defensively responsible and not lighting the SHL on fire pointswise. I think he's got at another year in SHL and a full year in the AHL after that, but who knows
    I remember saying that about Connor Garland after watching him for a few years in the Q and he made a fool out of me LOL!

I wont lie and say I get to watch Hoglander much, but I do follow his progression and this was from a column I read back in April about him and his progression.

There are two things that make me confident he can excel offensively in the NHL despite being just 5-foot-9. The obvious part is the production he’s already shown in the SHL. Höglander slowed down in the second half of the season but managed to add a very respectable nine goals and 16 points in 41 games — remember, he’s scoring in a league of men, not against junior competition. Secondly, he’s strong on his skates and protects the puck well.
    I am not saying I expect Hoglander to play in the NHL next year (I am not saying he wont either). I am saying I like his progression a lot and I can see him being in the NHL, and playing at a high level, before others who will get taken in that 12 spot range. I just dont see those guys in that expected draft area to offer anything you couldn't get sooner from Hoglander. Again, just my opinion.

Sorry to spam this thread about Hoglander but,

I don't really see the good progression went from 14 pts in 50 gp in his draft year to 16 pts in 41 gp this year. Although he torched the WJs and #s aren't everything, Elvenes regressed in his 2nd yr in the SHL and had an amazing yeah in the AHL this year so who knows.

The garland comparison is fine but he also took 2.5 years in the AHL before he made the NHL so that's similar to my thoughts on Hoglander. I feel like his WJ and his Lacrosse goal have given him a little more hype than he's earned. Either way looks like a stud.