Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on this trade?

Dobber Sports Padawan

Default Thoughts on this trade?

Hit me with your honest assessments. As some know, trading has never been a strong point of mine. I wanted to give this a shot because I felt this trade helped me more. I currently have the 1st OA. I absolutely will not be trading it this year. Pinky promise! I also had the 3rd overall pick. A fellow GM offered me Adam Fox and a bunch of draft picks. I asked for the following, which he accepted. Fox, 14, 23, 25 overall, plus his 1st rounder next year (10-12th overall probably.) I now have the 1st, 14th, 23rd, 25th, 36th, 38th and 46th overall picks in this upcoming draft.

So, honestly, what are your thoughts on the deal?

Thanks, Dobberites!

PS: Sig isn't entirely accurate but will update soon.
    Points only keeper. 12 Teams. No pos requirements. 18 skaters / 3 goalies (2 count for points.) G/A = 1 point each (includes goalies) Goalies = 1.5 for W / 4.5 for SO. Minors - 4 year protection. Prospects added during their draft year only. Undrafted = waivers.
    Skaters: Tolvanen,Jeannot,Drysdale,Benson,Sprong,Fantilli,H .Lindholm,T. Raddysh,K. Miller,Edvinsson,Roslovic,Sharangovich,McBain,Benn ett,Crouse, Luostarinen,Dube,Phillips
    Goalies: Gustavsson,Schmid,Vejmekla
    Minors: F.Pinelli,Beckman,Cossa,Nikkanen,Tieksola,Pashin,M cMichael,Konovalov,Svechkov,K.Johnson,Moore,Crista ll,Heidt,Ziemmer,Perron,Nadeau,Gulyayev,Wahlberg, Suniev,Tomasino,Khusnutdinov

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: Thoughts on this trade?

14th is a little farther than I would have dropped as you're not outside the top tier, but that's a solid haul overall. I would sit on the 2021 first to let the value stew, and probably trade a few of those later first rounders for help now.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    14th is a little farther than I would have dropped as you're not outside the top tier, but that's a solid haul overall. I would sit on the 2021 first to let the value stew, and probably trade a few of those later first rounders for help now.
    Phew! Good to see some positive reactions haha! Doesn't happen often with me LOL!

I don't plan on offering up that 1st next year, unless someone comes to me with an offer. Trying to get out of that habit of tossing picks around like candy haha!

As for the later picks, I'll come here first before making any offers. This year is the last year my past mistakes are catching up to me, so hoping to start fresh next season.
    Points only keeper. 12 Teams. No pos requirements. 18 skaters / 3 goalies (2 count for points.) G/A = 1 point each (includes goalies) Goalies = 1.5 for W / 4.5 for SO. Minors - 4 year protection. Prospects added during their draft year only. Undrafted = waivers.
    Skaters: Tolvanen,Jeannot,Drysdale,Benson,Sprong,Fantilli,H .Lindholm,T. Raddysh,K. Miller,Edvinsson,Roslovic,Sharangovich,McBain,Benn ett,Crouse, Luostarinen,Dube,Phillips
    Minors: F.Pinelli,Beckman,Cossa,Nikkanen,Tieksola,Pashin,M cMichael,Konovalov,Svechkov,K.Johnson,Moore,Crista ll,Heidt,Ziemmer,Perron,Nadeau,Gulyayev,Wahlberg, Suniev,Tomasino,Khusnutdinov

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    I'm not a fan of this of a number of reasons:
    (1) it's a points only pool with no positional requirements. Fox is unlikely to amount more than a hill of beans when compared against forwards. If I remember correctly, it wasn't a year or two ago where you couldn't even give Keith Yandle away.
    (2) I've seen you squander so many premium draft choices over the years. You desperately need quality, and you've traded for quantity (essentially a "sure thing" for lottery chances)
    (3) after 5 years players need to be brought up or dropped. Using 2016 for a reference year: Pierre-Luc Dobois for Charlie McAvoy, Henrich Borgstrom and Riley Tufte.

I know the analogy isn't exactly right, but I just have the feeling it's going to be another year where you turn a premium asset into next to nothing.

That being said, drafting is fun and you have a lot of picks. Maybe your 2016 will turn out more like hitting on an Alex Debrincat (i.e. the only player in the 2016 draft, drafted 14 or lower, with more points than PLD. Nobody else comes within 50 career points of PLD).

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by als_revenge View Post
    (1) it's a points only pool with no positional requirements. Fox is unlikely to amount more than a hill of beans when compared against forwards. If I remember correctly, it wasn't a year or two ago where you couldn't even give Keith Yandle away.
    (2) I've seen you squander so many premium draft choices over the years. You desperately need quality, and you've traded for quantity (essentially a "sure thing" for lottery chances)
    (3) after 5 years players need to be brought up or dropped. Using 2016 for a reference year: Pierre-Luc Dobois for Charlie McAvoy, Henrich Borgstrom and Riley Tufte.

I know the analogy isn't exactly right, but I just have the feeling it's going to be another year where you turn a premium asset into next to nothing.

That being said, drafting is fun and you have a lot of picks. Maybe your 2016 will turn out more like hitting on an Alex Debrincat (i.e. the only player in the 2016 draft, drafted 14 or lower, with more points than PLD. Nobody else comes within 50 career points of PLD).
    I hadn't actually noted the league, so those are some solid points. I definitely would have wanted someone better than Fox in that case.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!

Dobber Sports Padawan

You've got a pretty frickin good memory, man haha!
    I appreciate the feedback, though. Surprisingly, Fox garners a lot of interest in our pool, even with him being a D man. I think sometimes age seems to dismiss talent in our pool, because it wasn't long ago where a guy like Yandle was a valuable option for a roster spot.

Thanks again! It won't let me rep but I'll make it up to you.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Also, I REALLY need to consider all those points you made in any future trade offers. Never thought to look at players drafted high in previous years and compare them to others drafted after.

I'll add that to my notes.

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Mike's Lemons View Post
    Surprisingly, Fox garners a lot of interest in our pool, even with him being a D man. I think sometimes age seems to dismiss talent in our pool, because it wasn't long ago where a guy like Yandle was a valuable option for a roster spot.
    If that's true then maybe try to flip him and some of those magic beans for help now

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by Mike's Lemons View Post
    Also, I REALLY need to consider all those points you made in any future trade offers. Never thought to look at players drafted high in previous years and compare them to others drafted after.

I'll add that to my notes.
    Note to beat a dead pony over the head, but last year you had 2OV and 3OV and were leaning Kakko and A. Turcotte. Did you draft those two players And if so, what did you trade them for? [I'm really not trying to be mean, I'm just trying to highlight that I think a better approach is to use high draft picks and then trade them down the road for a monster haul. That would be my approach to turn your ship around.]

PS: do we get to cut your pinky finger off if you trade 1OV?

Edit: any it's likely I have undervalued Fox in your set up if there is demand for him. But personally, I would be very hesitant to draft or trade for a d-man in this format.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Note to beat a dead pony over the head, but last year you had 2OV and 3OV and were leaning Kakko and A. Turcotte. Did you draft those two players And if so, what did you trade them for? [I'm really not trying to be mean, I'm just trying to highlight that I think a better approach is to use high draft picks and then trade them down the road for a monster haul. That would be my approach to turn your ship around.]

PS: do we get to cut your pinky finger off if you trade 1OV?

Edit: any it's likely I have undervalued Fox in your set up if there is demand for him. But personally, I would be very hesitant to draft or trade for a d-man in this format.
    Beat the dead horse, dude! My dumbass needs to learn. To answer your question: I don't even remember

I've done so much dumb crap over the years, I honestly cannot recall most of the deals I made. I do something good, get caught up in the hype with Player X, trade good assets and Player X turns into John Scott. My willpower is lacking severely.

Lastly, Yes, you CAN cut off my pinky!

Dobber Sports Titan

Just come here more often before you make trades, and it'll all start working out!

Dobber Sports Padawan

Or maybe I should just quit haha!

Deal! This time I mean it.

Dobber Sports Stud

So there’s no limit to the number of prospects you can hold in the minors? The only restriction is that you have to move them up within 5 years of being drafted?

Dobber Sports Padawan

That's correct.

Dobber Sports Stud

That makes quantity deals far more palatable. If you are good at drafting prospects (or good at getting that help on these forums) then this is the type of deal that could pay off big time. I love that you are looking good at Goalie. Now you need to draft loads of high upside forwards.