Thread: Low $$$ early rounds

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Low $$$ early rounds

Going into 5th year of points only cap league. Won year 1 and 4 and competing now. Planning for next season's draft. League and roster in signature.

Last year I had the lowest $ cap protected (around $41M for 11 players) before draft. This allowed me to draft McDavid and Carlson in a league that I knew mostly stayed away from ''huge'' contracts. This year I'll most likely be at the other end of the spectrum with the highest cap $ protected (around $62M for 12 players out of 20 starting lineup counting towards cap).

Early on in the draft I will be looking to add the best possible cheap contracts to my roster. In the following list who would you aim to get?

Fiala $3 (1 year) (I am assuming he will not be available)
    Zadina $1,75 (2)
    Dach $3,425 (2)
    Hayton $2,65 (2)
    Glass $1,72 (2)
    Buchnevich $3,25 (1)
    Vilardi $1,63 (2)
    Kaprisov $1,39 (1)
    Adam Boqvist $1,75 (2)
    Ty Smith$1,3 (2)
    Marino $1,78 (1)
    Merkley $1,2 (2)
    Saros $1,5 (1)
    Sorokin $2 (1)

Thanks!
    8 Teams - Season long points only limited keeper (7F, 4D, 1G) cap league using cap hit
    Active lineup : 20 (12F, 6D, 2G)
    Bench: 6 (3F, 2D, 1G)
    10 trades for FAs + 10 moves between lineup and bench
    G (1 pt), A (1), W (2), SO (2), OTL (1)

F: McDavid, Stutzle, Hischier, Hyman, Konecny, Raymond, Perfetti, Guentzel, Bratt, Drouin, JT Miller, Peterka, Guenther, L. Carlsson, Zary
    D: Makar, Q. Hughes, Malinski, Durzi, Harley, Sanderson, Clarke, Lundkvist
    G:Sorokin, Demko, Georgiev
    NHL cap : $83.5 cap (bench doesn't count against cap)

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Re: Low $$$ early rounds

Kaprizov, Boqvist, Sorokin, maybe Saros (presuming he’s available after 1st round frenzy). Vilardi may also last a couple of rounds.
    CONDORS, 2022-23 league champions, Reg Dunlop Mem Cup

12-team, H2H. Keep 12, but drop 2 of top four skaters, and also 2 of next six, then five more (from end-of-year rankings). One GK max.

Stutzle, Sergachev
    Keller, Doughty, Verhaeghe, ErikssonEk
    E.Lindholm, Barzal, J.Gaudreau, Huberdeau, S. Wright
    Gustavsson

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Brad View Post
    Kaprizov, Boqvist, Sorokin, maybe Saros (presuming he’s available after 1st round frenzy). Vilardi may also last a couple of rounds.
    Dach and Marino are also there and producing already too.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Veteran

Dont forget to gauge not only your salary needs but your opponents. If you're the one with the big payroll and they have small payrolls, they won't reach as quickly on some of the cheap guys you have listed. I don't know if this will affect your draft strategy but it's something to keep in mind.

Of the players you listed I like:

Fiala
    Kaprizov
    Dach
    Buch
    Glass

A lot of them are pretty good players.
    10 Team Limited Keeper (Keep 8) Points Only
    SALARY CAP (Player Salaries) League
    20 Player Teams = 12 Fwd 6 D 2 G

My team: ???

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I like both goalies, Marino, Boqvist, and a bunch of the forwards: pretty much anyone except Hayton should be a good value. Hayton might be okay, but I'm the most skeptical on him.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Deity

If you're competing for another title, there's a few names that jump out at me. I dont know how many you need at each position but I'd be interested in Saros, Marino, Kaprisov and Dach. The other kids are all promising but not sure how much they will contribute towards you winning this year.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Is there a clear cut choice above the rest or are they close enough that it just comes down to personal preference? Lets assume Fiala is available, is he the obvious choice?

@Axeman33 : 20 player lineup with 12Forwards (no specific position), 6D and 2 G counting towards points. It's not H2H and we only have limited moves per season with starting lineup.
    8 Teams - Season long points only limited keeper (7F, 4D, 1G) cap league using cap hit

F: McDavid, Stutzle, Hischier, Hyman, Konecny, Raymond, Perfetti, Guentzel, Bratt, Drouin, JT Miller, Peterka, Guenther, L. Carlsson, Zary

Dobber Sports Titan

Probably, though I could see an argument for Kaprizov or Saros.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I think I'd have Saros as my #1 guy, but Fiala/Zadina is likely the top of my forward list.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Thanks all!

Seems Saros has alot of love. I normally wait around the 4th round before selecting a goalie but might switch it up this year depending on who is selected before my turn. Also my strategy of owning low salary goalies last season might have others attempt the same.

Other years I had a pretty good idea of who would get picked in the first few rounds, but for some reason this year it's a bit more difficult. I know Lafreniere is going first but after that nothing seems to pop out. Not a snake draft so I pick 7th out of 7 and then 14th.

Anywho as always nice to get some feedback!

Dobber Sports Icon

Another low salary guy who could turn out to be quite valuable is Andrew Mangiapane.