Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Give up on Matt Murray? REP Shall Be Bestowed Upon Thee

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Give up on Matt Murray? REP Shall Be Bestowed Upon Thee

Not the league in my signature but a 16 team league with identical scoring set up.

I paid a pretty penny to acquire Matt Murray a couple of seasons ago and needless to say he's been a tough own. The Lehner owner has expressed some interest in a swap though Lehner's situation is also murky at the moment. That owner also has Grubauer and Blackwood though I don't think the latter would be available in a 1 for 1 deal.

2 questions here:

Question 1, thoughts on a swapping Murray for one of the above-mentioned goalies?

Question 2, am I wrong for still believing in MM as a guy who can be a top 5-10 goalie for years to come? I'm finding it very hard to give up on him, especially at his current value.

TIA
    16 GM Dynasty
    H2H Points
    Weekly Matchups w/ Starts: 12F/6D/2G
    G(3), A(2), +/-(0.1), Hit(0.1), SOG(0.1), BS(0.1), PPP(1), SHP(1)
    W(4), L(-2), SO(4), Sv(0.2), GA(-1)

F: A. Svechnikov, R. Thomas, N. Suzuki, Pastrnak, Boldy, J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Frost, Tolvanen, Drouin, Heinen, Gallagher, N. Ritchie, Wood, Poehling, Podkolzin

D: Makar, Fox, Dobson, Byram, Dahlin, Ferraro, Michael Stone

G Sorokin, Hart, Georgiev, DeSmith

Farm: Firkus, Kayumov, Heimosalmi, Brennan, Werner, Kvaca, Parik

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Re: Give up on Matt Murray? REP Shall Be Bestowed Upon Thee

Neither of them is a clear cut no1 right now, but Murray is closer to that. Lehner's situation is a little bit harder. If he re-signs with Vegas, he will be in a time-share situation with Fleury which isn't good. If he moves to a team who needs a no1 G then his situation will be better. So right now, I pick Murray side for sure, despite he is a tough own, as you said. I would wait, until FA settles.

Dobber Sports Titan

I would expect we see Lehner move on to one of SJ (my bet - with them finding a way to dump Jones), EDM, or CGY. At that point Lehner has a bunch more value. I think with the uncertainty though you should be able to get Lehner plus for Murray just based on perception.

Murray might have a couple years in the 5-10 range, but it won't be consistent and it won't be back to back years. I worry about him in Seattle or just anywhere new. Grubauer is a decent option too, but with Francouz there he's no less risky than Murray.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Demi-God

I traded away Matt Murray in a keeper last year.
    He's a solid goalie... but PIT is just aging, they have no stockpile of solid youth.
    The D, after Letang & Dumo has not been good... they were fortunate to find Marino.

Murray reminds me of Cam Ward's early seasons with Carolina.

He IS a very good goalie, but it was magnified by being on the right team for the right season(s).
    The EAST is simply rising and PIT is about to fall. They've got 2-3 more years of competing with Crosby/Malkin/Letang and then they'll have to go into a very dedicated rebuild.

Murray has the stats over his career to bang the gavel and command more money than Jarry.
    But I don't think the drop-off to Jarry is that big, Jarry is pretty fine goalie himself.
    Which suggests that PIT will not tender Murray and will go with the cheaper option in Jarry to free up cap space to sign veterans.

The team only has $13m available for 9 players... cutting cap space where they can is essential.

All of that said, I have more faith in Murray's youth in the NHL to find a long-term spot... then I do in Lehner/Blackwood/Grubauer.
    I'd be simply holding Murray here and saying a few prayers that he shines for PIT in the playoffs again.

Dobber Sports Sage

I swapped out Murray for Markstrom this season and do not regret the move at all. I would swap Murray out for Lehner. I do not think he'll resign with Vegas rather moving on to a team with an opening spot. I would love to see him back in Chicago.
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream Nation View Post
    I swapped out Murray for Markstrom this season and do not regret the move at all. I would swap Murray out for Lehner. I do not think he'll resign with Vegas rather moving on to a team with an opening spot. I would love to see him back in Chicago.
    I think he got a little slighted by Chicago so I don't know if that will be his first choice.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!

Dobber Sports Deity

I think Lehner is the best goalie from that group but his unknown future makes him a gamble to invest in. I remember being a big believer in Matt Murray in his draft year. I grabbed him in most of my keeper league drafts at that time. I've since traded him in all my keeper leagues since that time. I like Matt Murray but the fact that his health is a constant concern just makes me shy from him.

I think Murray's health is just as much of a concern compared to Lehner's future so for me, I'd probably gamble on Lehners future and trade Murray for him. Murray's future isn't overly clear right now either with the emergence of Jarry and the expansion draft coming.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    I would expect we see Lehner move on to one of SJ (my bet - with them finding a way to dump Jones), EDM, or CGY. At that point Lehner has a bunch more value. I think with the uncertainty though you should be able to get Lehner plus for Murray just based on perception.

Murray might have a couple years in the 5-10 range, but it won't be consistent and it won't be back to back years. I worry about him in Seattle or just anywhere new. Grubauer is a decent option too, but with Francouz there he's no less risky than Murray.
    Jones - 4 more years at 5.75 million and a no-trade clause. Unless you mean a buy-out, with cap implications for 8 years, I have no idea how you dump him. Unless you are taking back an equally awful contract. Even still, the no trade clause...

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by als_revenge View Post
    Jones - 4 more years at 5.75 million and a no-trade clause. Unless you mean a buy-out, with cap implications for 8 years, I have no idea how you dump him. Unless you are taking back an equally awful contract. Even still, the no trade clause...
    Hello waivers and the AHL! LOL!
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Administrator

I'd swap Murray for Lehner in a heartbeat. Regardless of where he winds up Lehner has proven he is solid free of context. I'd actually bet on him re-upping with Vegas in an expensive tandem with Fleury. But don't be scared off by tandems. If Murray even revives his game he'll be in a tandem with Jarry in Pittsburgh. Murray's game really hasn't kept up with where the current game is headed and has a number of holes that haven't sealed up. I was happy to move on from him this past season and I'd recommend getting out while you still can get good value.

This stuff ebbs and flows but I'm confident in Lehner delivering for a couple more seasons. It may take that long for Murray to catch up and rediscover his game.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by als_revenge View Post
    If Schneider can get demoted, so too can Jones

Dobber Sports Genius

I moved him for a 4th round pick last August for league in my sig. When he was concussed after taking a puck to the mask in practice, I said "I'm out!" I haven't looked back. Get what you can for him either in a one for one or in a package deal. I'm not in love with any of your options listed.
    Hockey Pools? Too many to mention. Points only, salary cap and dynasty.

Dobber Sports Sage

I think he got a little slighted by Chicago so I don't know if that will be his first choice.
    I agree but money talks and this is a buyers market for goalies.
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Dobber Sports Apprentice

If Schneider can get demoted, so too can Jones
    The notable difference with Schneider is that he got replaced with a goalie who was still on his ELC. How many teams are willing to spend to almost 8 figures on their goalies? For the most part, the only times highly paid starters are getting passed over are when the newcomer is on a cheap contract (Blackwood, Saros, Murray, Binnington, Samsonov, etc). I think this past season with Chicago signing Lehner was the first time in a quite a while that a team signed an established goalie to a larger contract (4M+) who already had an expensive option, and that expensive option was a soon-to-be UFA.

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by jshed2 View Post
    The notable difference with Schneider is that he got replaced with a goalie who was still on his ELC. How many teams are willing to spend to almost 8 figures on their goalies? For the most part, the only times highly paid starters are getting passed over are when the newcomer is on a cheap contract (Blackwood, Saros, Murray, Binnington, Samsonov, etc). I think this past season with Chicago signing Lehner was the first time in a quite a while that a team signed an established goalie to a larger contract (4M+) who already had an expensive option, and that expensive option was a soon-to-be UFA.
    You're right it is uncommon, but it does seem like the Sharks are ready to move on from Jones. Could San Jose pay his signing bonus and then trade him to Ottawa with a sweetener, and then sign Lehner with that money? It's conceivable. Could they retain 3M and trade him to someone else that isn't a cap team and add a piece? Unlikely, but possible.
    Could they pay Ottawa or someone else to buy him out at a cap hit of $1.6M per year for eight years, or maybe just buy him out themselves? That's an option to explore.
    There's ideas, and I think Lehner likes being out West, as well as it supposedly being a good veteran room that could be appealing. He would also be a free-to-acquire huge upgrade that would almost certainly push them back to contender status. It's all possible anyways.