Thread: Advice on Prospect/Draft Pick trade - Rep given!

Dobber Sports Novice

Default Advice on Prospect/Draft Pick trade - Rep given!

Hello!

Just looking for some advice on a potential prospect and draft pick trade.

His

Oliver Wahlstrom
    Kristian Vesalainen
    2020 Draft Pick, Pick 19

for

My

2020 Draft Pick, Pick 11
    2022 Draft Pick 1st rounder (Could be a lottery pick)

Appreciate the feedback!!
    20 Team Dynasty H2H Multi-Cat league 32 + 12 minor spots - (4 C. 4 RW. 4 LW, 6 D. 1 G) - After 3 year rebuild, competing

C: McDavid, Eichel, Matthews, Dowd, Frost,

LW: Kaprizov, Stutzle, Boldy, Marchenko, Paul, Deslauriers

RW: Marner, Rantanen, Tolvanen, Bemstrom, O'Connor, Gurianov

D: Heiskanen, Boqvist, Provorov, Fabbro, Dillon, Jokiharju, Liljegren, Marino, Mayfield, Moser, Smith

G: Oettinger, Forsberg, Merzlikins, Mrazek

Minors: Beecher, Heponiemi, Kulich, L'Heureux, Bellows, Kaut, Lind, Bichsel, Cuelemans, Mateychuk, Samberg, Ingram

2023 Draft Picks: 41st and 59th overall
    2024 Draft Picks: 1 - 1st round (1-20) and 1 - 3rd round (40-60)

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: Advice on Prospect/Draft Pick trade - Rep given!

If I'm trading away a possible lottery pick then when the pick is made I want to say I actually got something in return. Zero guarantee on either Wahlstrom or Vesalainen. I would take them both off in favour of one single player that will for sure help you.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I'm not giving up a potential 2022 lottery pick unless it's a top deal for something that's already proven in the NHL, a chance at the three-headed monster is too much to pass up on for me.
    Team One (Mercenaries Of Mandalore) 24T Dynasty, 4LW/RW/C, 6D, 2G, 4B - G, A1, A2, PPG, PPA, SHP, SOG, FOW, FOL, TK, GV, HIT, BLK, FT, ||| W, L, GA, SV, SHO, A

Team Two (Hamilton Tigers) 16T Dynasty - 3LW/RW/C, 6D, 2G, 6B - G, A, PPP, SHP, SOG, BLK, HIT, FOW| W, L, GA, SV, SHO, A

Click here for my teams (not up to date)

Links are too a google document.

The Great One

Hard pass.

Are conditional trades allowed in your league? (i.e. can you make it top 5 or top 3 protected)?

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I'm not big on Wahlstrom so I would pass.

McDavid/Necas/ Kucherov/Bjorkstrand/Rust/Nugent Hopkins/Cirelli/Zegras/- Letang/Morrissey/Dahlin - Swayman/Saros/Skinner

Prospects include:
    McTavish/Clarke/Bordeleau
    Dumais/Korchinski/Hutson

Don't worry I'm not going to say anything more than I have to. If that.

Dobber Sports Rookie

Don't waste your time in considering this trade.

Dobber Sports Sage

I agree with the thoughts above, Gotenks. No need to include your lottery pick in this deal.

Wahlstrom + 19th for the 11th might make more sense.

On the one hand, I do think that Wahlstrom is suffering the same syndromes that Yamamoto and others have suffered in years past... they just need NHLers to play with to start their real development toward their potential. He will be a good, serviceable multi-cat player (20+20=40 + sog + hits) whether he hits his offensive potential (35+35=70 + sog + hits) or not.

You can argue with the other GM who probably already realizes that there is a drop off in quality/assurances after that 12-13 spot this year. It seems like he is souring on Wahly as-is. Time to take advantage.
    The League in London (20 Team Multi-Cat H2H $100 Dynasty League) - Season 11
    ... In memory of "The Net Detective"
    C Pinto kDach Hayton Roy / Lowry Bjugstad Blueger Carrick
    LW Lehkonen Knies kJohnson Greenway / Laferriere Reichel Luostarinen Kartye Grebyonkin Buchelnikov
    RW
    Quinn Joseph Roslovic Chinakhov / Kakko Glass Brink O'Connor Holmberg Berggren Tuomaala
    D
    Werenski Hronek Power Guhle McCabe Roy / Gudas Raddysh Pachal Evans Cormier
    G
    Swayman / Hill Mrazek Ivanov Kokko

Dobber Sports Icon

The deal is pretty inconsequential in the grand scheme of things as none of the players listed or draft picks are likely to be stars. I would prefer the picks as they are likely going to hold their value a little longer than Wahlstrom or Vesalainen as GMs love shiny toys more than prospects who have not progressed.

However, the big question I have for you is why would you think your 2022 first round pick is going to be a lottery pick? Are you that bad of a fantasy GM? You have 2 full seasons to become a contender so work on that instead of worrying about your first round pick being a lottery pick.

Dobber Sports Star

Wahlstrom and Vesalainen are two prospects whose stock is sharply down from a year ago. This guy feels that he is dumping guys he feels are worthless in order to get a newer, higher-tier prospect. I would turn him down. You may want to explore options, but keep in mind that he is probably desperate to recoup any value for those two. I'd shoot for Wahlstrom more so than Vesalainen.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

DO NOT DO THAT TRADE ...all I have to say is ,shane Wright Matthew Savoie and Brad Lambert...2022 draft might actually be better stacked then 2020.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

If you are moving a possible lottery pick, you want to move it for something that helps you getting out of the bottom of the league so you dont hate youself in two years.

Wahlstrom and Vesalainen definetely doesn't help you doing that.

Dobber Sports Ace

It's been said a few times, but I don't think that it can be understated: 2022 is not the year to be trading away your first round picks!!!

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Another no from me.

As far as I'm concerned, pretty much anyone's 2022 pick could be a lottery pick this far out, even if your team is stacked, if things go horribly wrong in net, you might have issues. My team in sig has rarely missed the playoffs, but there have been years where scheduling luck has killed me and I've been out with the highest scoring skaters in the league.

Additionally, you are getting back nothing proven.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.