Thread: Robertson vs Gusev

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Default Robertson vs Gusev

What’s your thoughts on N.Robertson making the show next year with The Leafs? Or rather, when he does make the team how do you see this kids future in comparison to the Older Russian Sophmore who already has a respectful year under his belt in the NHL with an upward trajectory and achieved stardom in the KHL?

Does anyone take The untested Robertson and $3.5 million cap space in a Cap league with the usual peripherals?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Re: Robertson vs Gusev

Quote Originally Posted by havanablast21 View Post
    What’s your thoughts on N.Robertson making the show next year with The Leafs? Or rather, when he does make the team how do you see this kids future in comparison to the Older Russian Sophmore who already has a respectful year under his belt in the NHL with an upward trajectory and achieved stardom in the KHL?

Does anyone take The untested Robertson and $3.5 million cap space in a Cap league with the usual peripherals?

Thanks for your thoughts.

I've seen Robertson play a few times in person and he is the real deal, I wouldn't be surprised if he made the lineup and got a decent amount of points - possibly even playing with one of JT/Matthews. However, he's totally unproven and it's too difficult to say so right now I have to go Gusev - even though if Robertson makes the NHL i'll buy his jersey next (that's how much I think he's a stud) haha. Do you have a minors system that you can stash him if he doesn't make it, or is there a rebuilder who likes to hoard top minors and has a decent winger you could trade for if he doesn't make it? if so then it's definitely a consider, I don't think Gusev amounts to much (decent points but not high) so if you can trade him for similar player if he doesn't make it next year it might be worthwhile then, but only then imo
    Team One (Mercenaries Of Mandalore) 24T Dynasty, 4LW/RW/C, 6D, 2G, 4B - G, A1, A2, PPG, PPA, SHP, SOG, FOW, FOL, TK, GV, HIT, BLK, FT, ||| W, L, GA, SV, SHO, A

Team Two (Hamilton Tigers) 16T Dynasty - 3LW/RW/C, 6D, 2G, 6B - G, A, PPP, SHP, SOG, BLK, HIT, FOW| W, L, GA, SV, SHO, A

Click here for my teams (not up to date)

Links are too a google document.

Dobber Sports Deity

I have a hard time seeing Robertson exceeding Gusev offensively any time soon, even if he does make the NHL in the next year or two.

Like JayJ, Im curious if Robertson is someone you have to roster on your main roster or do you have a minors system?
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Thanks guys.

10 keeper farm spots and carry 14 farm spots during the year. Roster Space is not an issue For me. Cap space is. $3.5M can go a long way for me if he plays next year, $4.5M if I send him to my farm. I guess it’s a question of now vs 2-3 years from now.

My other LW Eligibles are Ovie, Hall, Foegelle, Blais, Kapanen (strangely enough). And Keep $4.5 Gusev or replace with $900K Roberts on ELC. (Have a hand full of RFA and UFA’s and sone other high end C’s and D so I’m trying to strategize my Cap)
    Last edited by havanablast21; July 15, 2020 at 7:38 AM. Reason: To clarify, this isn’t my team in Sig.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Let me throw a 3rd apple in the barrel. How does Kyrou size up to all three? N.Robertson vs Gusev vs Kyrou(and a pick)?

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Gusev for 2 or 3 years at least

Dobber Sports Superstar

Leafs too deep offensively to consider anyone besides the usual suspects so i go Gusev who will def be featured next year on the Devils.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Thanks All. All makes good sense. Given my need for Cap savings I may be in decent shape to move on from Gusev as my team is pretty deep. And I have time to wait for the kids. Knowing this, and what Luigi said about the usual suspects and Robertson, same can be said about Kyrou at the moment. Do you see Kyrou and Robertson as Iterchangable? Both not really amping up their fantasy value for a year or two? But good shape given the surrounding talent on the blues and Leafs?

Dobber Sports Initiate

I think Robertson will be given an opportunity in the top 6 early on, but not right away. The kid is a dog on a bone, and that fits with a 3rd line role, and I see him able to excel in all areas, because he is relentless. They could use him on the PK, PP, and eventually in a top 6 role. The fact that the Leafs will be up against the Cap for the many years, they need top talent that can step in and provide depth at cheap salary. Proving he can handle top 6, would allow for Dubas to move Johnsson and look to address needs on D.

Gusev is great, and he excelled in the KHL, so while thats not the NHL, its the next best league. He should improve on his numbers from last season, now that he is more comfortable and gets better chemistry with his line mates.

I think the safe bet would be to go Gusev for next season, and possibly the following as well. Then its Robertson all the way...Although I can't shake this feeling that if given that opportunity with Matthews or JT, that he will thrive, and could make him a beast as early as '21-'22 season.
    'To be is to do' - Socrates....'To do is to be '- Sartre..........
    'To do be do be do' - Sinatra.

15 Team Keeper League - 20 roster spots (4C 4L 4R 6D 2G)
    Point Categories - G A +/- PIMS GAA SV%
    Protect 13-15 *$80 Team cap

C - Bergeron, Zibanejad,
    L - Connor, Marchand, Olofsson
    R - Nylander, Wheeler, Gallagher, Rust
    D - Carlson, Josi, Nurse
    G - Vasilevskiy

Dobber Sports Initiate

I like Robertson over Kyrou. I can see both being given longer looks based on the flat cap, and fell Robertson will pay bigger dividends in short order.
    'To be is to do' - Socrates....'To do is to be '- Sartre..........
    'To do be do be do' - Sinatra.

15 Team Keeper League - 20 roster spots (4C 4L 4R 6D 2G)
    Point Categories - G A +/- PIMS GAA SV%
    Protect 13-15 *$80 Team cap

C - Bergeron, Zibanejad,
    L - Connor, Marchand, Olofsson
    R - Nylander, Wheeler, Gallagher, Rust
    D - Carlson, Josi, Nurse
    G - Vasilevskiy