Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: 2nd Overall pick in inaugural draft

Dobber Sports Ace

Default Re: 2nd Overall pick in inaugural draft

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post

To throw McDavid onto that team, we have to subtract elsewhere. Is changing McDavid over MacKinnon worth downgrading Miller to Fiala and Marchand to Bryan Rust (or however you sort it out).
    ^^ THIS ^^

Except so much worse, because there is more than just you in a fantasy league, so you wouldn't get optimal replacements like Fiala and Rust. It would be like MacKinnon, Miller, Marchand vs McDavid, Sheary, Vesey.

Ultimately, as has been stated already - it's fun to discuss, and fine to agree to disagree.

Dobber Sports Guru

You are looking at two extremes though. You're comparing the best $6 million player and saying if you don't take him you get an at-best-okay $2-$3 million player.

You can't make the decision based on the fact he might get below average players later on, because that argument works both ways. Maybe by drafting MacKinnon, instead of getting Miller and Marchand, he uses the cap savings on Bobby Ryan and Brent Seabrook.

So all of a sudden, instead of having MacKinnon, Ryan and Seabrook, he has McDavid, Rust, and Fiala.

There's simply too many scenarios with the what if he gets this guy.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Wow, so much information here. I honestly would take MacKinnon over McDavid, the 6 million helps a ton when it comes to fitting new extensions, for ELC guys and for established stars. It is a good discussion to have.
    12 team deep keeper league, 17 main roster players, 5 prospect players, max 2 goalie keepers for the main roster. point breakdown goes as follows:
    Skaters:
    G is 4 points, 5.2 points for D goals. A is 2.5 points, 3.25 points for defense. 0.07 per FOW, 0.2 points for blocks, hits, and SOG 0.5 points for PIMS and +/-, 3 for SHG, 1.5 for SHA.
    Goalies:
    GS is 1.5 points, -1 for GA, 0.2 for SV, 4 for SHO, and 3 for W.
    Team:
    https://www.fantrax.com/fantasy/leag...gi/team/roster

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by newfcollins View Post
    You are looking at two extremes though. You're comparing the best $6 million player and saying if you don't take him you get an at-best-okay $2-$3 million player.

You can't make the decision based on the fact he might get below average players later on, because that argument works both ways. Maybe by drafting MacKinnon, instead of getting Miller and Marchand, he uses the cap savings on Bobby Ryan and Brent Seabrook.

So all of a sudden, instead of having MacKinnon, Ryan and Seabrook, he has McDavid, Rust, and Fiala.

There's simply too many scenarios with the what if he gets this guy.
    I think what I was trying to say was the optimized roster around MacKinnon would be better than the optimized roster around McDavid, and for that reason I would rather have MacKinnon.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Icon

The best part of this whole discussion is that there is absolutely no way to ever tell who was right and who was wrong...even though it's clearly the people passing on McDavid who are wrong!!!

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by chuckcouples View Post
    The best part of this whole discussion is that there is absolutely no way to ever tell who was right and who was wrong...even though it's clearly the people passing on McDavid who are wrong!!!
    Lol
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

So how did the rest of your team come together??

This was a very interesting thread by the way!!
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Awesome thread!

Curious to see what the first seven picks of the one who selected McDavid were.

I'm kinda split between the two options. I honestly think both strategies can work if you modify your way of drafting. If I picked McDavid first then in the next few rounds I'd be scrambling to pick up the best possible low salary options to balance things out (Q. Hughes, Makar etc.). Picking MacKinnon does allow for more flexibility in drafting the rest of your roster.
    8 Teams - Season long points only limited keeper (7F, 4D, 1G) cap league using cap hit
    Active lineup : 20 (12F, 6D, 2G)
    Bench: 6 (3F, 2D, 1G)
    10 trades for FAs + 10 moves between lineup and bench
    G (1 pt), A (1), W (2), SO (2), OTL (1)

F: McDavid, Stutzle, Hischier, Hyman, Konecny, Raymond, Perfetti, Guentzel, Bratt, Drouin, JT Miller, Peterka, Guenther, L. Carlsson, Zary
    D: Makar, Q. Hughes, Malinski, Durzi, Harley, Sanderson, Clarke, Lundkvist
    G:Sorokin, Demko, Georgiev
    NHL cap : $83.5 cap (bench doesn't count against cap)

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Quote Originally Posted by Zorro View Post
    So how did the rest of your team come together??

This was a very interesting thread by the way!!
    Yes, this was a very interesting conversation. I love all the varying thoughts/opinions and that is why fantasy sports is soooo much fun.

In terms of how my team has turned out so far (still drafting), this is what my roster looks like so far:

Centre - MacKinnon, Backlund, Reinhart and Zacha
    LW - Donato, Hall, Pearson and Panarin (traded Huberdeau for a kings ransom....Huberdeau for Panarin, Adam Boqvist, a pick which I selected Joe Veleno and $4mil more cap space this year)
    RW - JT Miller, Barbashev, R Thomas and Reaves
    D - Burns, Hronek, Pionk, A Boqvist, Grzelcyk and Pelech
    G - Kuemper and Cal Petersen
    Bench - McCann
    Minors - Tomasino, Turcotte, Veleno, Denisenko, Tracey, Jenik, Beaudin, Soderstrom, R Merkley, Rathbone and Wilde

I am pretty happy with how my team is shaping up! This has been one fun, exciting and interesting draft.

Dobber Sports Titan

You can trade for cap space?
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    You can trade for cap space?
    Yeah, it’s an option in Fantrax.

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by jtloveshack View Post
    Yeah, it’s an option in Fantrax.
    I know it's an option, just not one I have seen used often, and one I would try my hardest to take advantage of every chance I could.

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by jtloveshack View Post
    Yes, this was a very interesting conversation. I love all the varying thoughts/opinions and that is why fantasy sports is soooo much fun.

In terms of how my team has turned out so far (still drafting), this is what my roster looks like so far:

Centre - MacKinnon, Backlund, Reinhart and Zacha
    LW - Donato, Hall, Pearson and Panarin (traded Huberdeau for a kings ransom....Huberdeau for Panarin, Adam Boqvist, a pick which I selected Joe Veleno and $4mil more cap space this year)
    RW - JT Miller, Barbashev, R Thomas and Reaves
    D - Burns, Hronek, Pionk, A Boqvist, Grzelcyk and Pelech
    G - Kuemper and Cal Petersen
    Bench - McCann
    Minors - Tomasino, Turcotte, Veleno, Denisenko, Tracey, Jenik, Beaudin, Soderstrom, R Merkley, Rathbone and Wilde

I am pretty happy with how my team is shaping up! This has been one fun, exciting and interesting draft.
    A few observations I had when reading this.

1) Nice looking team so far. Keep up the good drafting.
    2) You did not want to draft Connor McDavid and his $12,500,000 contract but then you traded for Artemiy Panarin and his $11,642,857 cap hit. I think I would rather have had McDavid but that's just me.
    3) A team gave you Adam Boqvist & Joe Veleno so they could gain $1,742,857 in cap room and downgrade from Panarin to Huberdeau? What were they thinking?

Dobber Sports Immortal

What a great thread!! I was definitely intrigued that a thread about one draft pick ended up 3 pages but I see why now.

Would have went McDavid btw.....

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by chuckcouples View Post
    A few observations I had when reading this.

1) Nice looking team so far. Keep up the good drafting.
    2) You did not want to draft Connor McDavid and his $12,500,000 contract but then you traded for Artemiy Panarin and his $11,642,857 cap hit. I think I would rather have had McDavid but that's just me.
    3) A team gave you Adam Boqvist & Joe Veleno so they could gain $1,742,857 in cap room and downgrade from Panarin to Huberdeau? What were they thinking?
    Hi Chuck,

Your questions and comments exemplify my PRO-MacKinnon stance perfectly! By not drafting McDavid and his 12.5 M cap hit with his first pick, he put himself in a position to to get Panarin, Boqvist, Veleno, and $4 million instead. This trade was possible because jt took MacKinnon with his first pick, and followed it up with another extreme-value contract with his second. I would be curious to know what the original Panarin owner's first two-four picks were. jt, could you fill us in? I would guess that he took on a few heavy contracts, and then had to pay a hefty price for not planning ahead. I bet that you are extremely happy that you went MacKinnon/Huberdeau with your first two picks. Well done!

This spawns a second debate: McDavid OR Panarin, Boqvist, Veleno, and $4 million?