Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: 2nd Overall pick in inaugural draft

Dobber Sports Superstar

Default Re: 2nd Overall pick in inaugural draft

Guy picking 3rd would be happy to get McD. See your point on cap hit for picking McKinnon, but don't think I would have passed on McD. Just think there is another level coming from McD. It will all come down to a draft strategy and getting value on your later round pick. Hitting on 1 $1M and under pick easily offsets the McD Pick. With only 16 teams there is going to be a good supply of FA's available. You don't win these drafts with the early pick it s the mid to later round gems that you unearth that will win it for you.
    Piranha Hockey League est 1990 - Oakley Doakley's - 16 teams
    Pts only W=2 OL=1 SO=3 Auction Draft

WHL - est 2016 Expansion - Glasgow Kiss - 24 teams
    25 pro players / 10 minor league players
    G,A,+/-,PPP,SOG,Hits,Blk,PIM,FOW, W,Sv,GA,SHO

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Magicstew View Post
    Guy picking 3rd would be happy to get McD. See your point on cap hit for picking McKinnon, but don't think I would have passed on McD. Just think there is another level coming from McD. It will all come down to a draft strategy and getting value on your later round pick. Hitting on 1 $1M and under pick easily offsets the McD Pick. With only 16 teams there is going to be a good supply of FA's available. You don't win these drafts with the early pick it s the mid to later round gems that you unearth that will win it for you.
    In theory you're right, but hitting on those same cheap players means you can take a Malkin instead of a Forsberg later on, and a Hedman instead of a Seth Jones. And those two added swaps make up for the difference between MacK and McD. Or instead of hitting on three $1M guys, you can hit on better $2M guys and spread a little cap elsewhere. Flexibility in cap leagues is so crucial I find.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I'm curious, where did McDavid end up going
    Team One (Mercenaries Of Mandalore) 24T Dynasty, 4LW/RW/C, 6D, 2G, 4B - G, A1, A2, PPG, PPA, SHP, SOG, FOW, FOL, TK, GV, HIT, BLK, FT, ||| W, L, GA, SV, SHO, A

Team Two (Hamilton Tigers) 16T Dynasty - 3LW/RW/C, 6D, 2G, 6B - G, A, PPP, SHP, SOG, BLK, HIT, FOW| W, L, GA, SV, SHO, A

Click here for my teams (not up to date)

Links are too a google document.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I agree with passing on McDavid for now if the cap rules make that a reasonable move, and most would. You get a top tier player in his own right, and have a lot of cap savings. Those talking about how much more McDavid scores, need to realize that those extra millions will net you players that score as well.

I am in a cap league where McDavid would've been the right move, simply because the cap is simple enough to deal with if you're smart, since anyone not on the active roster doesn't count against the cap.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Stud

Just read all these posts. You guys are more “expert” than I am, but it’s really hard for me to buy the cap/salary argument for 2nd overall pick. By that reasoning, you should’ve picked Lafreniere - far cheaper cap hit and he’s at least 1/8 the player that MacKinnon or McDavid is. You’d have more cap $$ for round 4 !!

I’d have picked McDavid. #1 player available at #2. My smile would’ve lasted for years.
    CONDORS, 2022-23 league champions, Reg Dunlop Mem Cup

12-team, H2H. Keep 12, but drop 2 of top four skaters, and also 2 of next six, then five more (from end-of-year rankings). One GK max.

Stutzle, Sergachev
    Keller, Doughty, Verhaeghe, ErikssonEk
    E.Lindholm, Barzal, J.Gaudreau, Huberdeau, S. Wright
    Gustavsson

Dobber Sports Guru

I also would have taken McDavid, as you can save money on other players later.

I am also curious about where McDavid went. Did he drop out of the top five?

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Brad View Post
    Just read all these posts. You guys are more “expert” than I am, but it’s really hard for me to buy the cap/salary argument for 2nd overall pick. By that reasoning, you should’ve picked Lafreniere - far cheaper cap hit and he’s at least 1/8 the player that MacKinnon or McDavid is. You’d have more cap $$ for round 4 !!

I’d have picked McDavid. #1 player available at #2. My smile would’ve lasted for years.
    No, you just love a strawman. There is a HUGE difference in LaFreniere versus MacKinnon or Draisiatl. We know two of those guys are perennially great players. We know Lafreniere is very likely the #1 overall pick coming up.

There's a big difference in getting a guy who is 90-95% as good for 60-70% of the salary, and a guy who is ??% as good for 1% of the salary.

Honestly, Draisiatl's wing eligibility also helps him here.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I'd take MacKinnon and Draisaitl over McDavid. McDavid is fantastic, but you cannot tell me he is worth 4 million more than Draisaitl, and 6 million more than MacKinnon. Draisaitl is going to regularly put up 100+ points as long as he is playing with McDavid.
    12 team deep keeper league, 17 main roster players, 5 prospect players, max 2 goalie keepers for the main roster. point breakdown goes as follows:
    Skaters:
    G is 4 points, 5.2 points for D goals. A is 2.5 points, 3.25 points for defense. 0.07 per FOW, 0.2 points for blocks, hits, and SOG 0.5 points for PIMS and +/-, 3 for SHG, 1.5 for SHA.
    Goalies:
    GS is 1.5 points, -1 for GA, 0.2 for SV, 4 for SHO, and 3 for W.
    Team:
    https://www.fantrax.com/fantasy/leag...gi/team/roster

The Great One

Here's what has me pondering, to all the "McDavid is the consensus number 1 pick" crowd...

Suppose a team is drafting to win RIGHT now? Dobber's roto rankings has McDavid ranked 3rd. And Dobber's Cap League ratings have McDavid ranked 24th (Draistaitl, MacKinnon and Pastrnak are all in the top 10).

This does not scream consensus number 1 pick to me. And it certainly doesn't imply to me that either the league is terrible or all the GMs are terrible.

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by als_revenge View Post
    Here's what has me pondering, to all the "McDavid is the consensus number 1 pick" crowd...

Suppose a team is drafting to win RIGHT now? Dobber's roto rankings has McDavid ranked 3rd. And Dobber's Cap League ratings have McDavid ranked 24th (Draistaitl, MacKinnon and Pastrnak are all in the top 10).

This does not scream consensus number 1 pick to me. And it certainly doesn't imply to me that either the league is terrible or all the GMs are terrible.
    So what you're saying is if you were drafting in an inaugural draft, and had one of the first three picks, you wouldn't draft McDavid in a salary cap league?
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    So what you're saying is if you were drafting in an inaugural draft, and had one of the first three picks, you wouldn't draft McDavid in a salary cap league?
    Not saying it's right or wrong, but personal preference, I wouldn't.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    It depends. If I was drafting with a 3 year time frame in mind, I would not. If I was drafting thinking of 10 years, then I'd take McDavid first. It depends in my confidence about how long the league would last and what my specific objective was...

Dobber Sports Ace

I agree with the MacKinnon pick over McDavid, in a salary cap league. Sure, you're getting three more years of McDavid, but I'm here to play now - not in four years.

I have a spreadsheet that score players based on my league's multicat categories, age, cap hit (salary cap league), term. It likely means little to most, but for interest sake, it has Draisaitl with keeper value of 104.85, MacKinnon with 103.98, and McDavid with 85.00.

EDIT: Those values (104.85, 103.98, and 85.00) are based on 2019-2020 production. I prefer to use the two most recent years' data, to account for ridiculous career years (e.g., Bryan Rust). Using the 2018-2020 data, I have MacKinnon at 99.41, Draisailt at 90.57, and McDavid at 79.42. Still very much a work in progress, but gives an idea of how I have them ranked.

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by tobias View Post
    I agree with the MacKinnon pick over McDavid, in a salary cap league. Sure, you're getting three more years of McDavid, but I'm here to play now - not in four years.

I have a spreadsheet that score players based on my league's multicat categories, age, cap hit (salary cap league), etc. It likely means little to most, but for interest sake, it has Draisaitl with keeper value of 104.85, MacKinnon with 103.98, and McDavid with 85.00.
    Would be curious as to how you score all of that (just thinking comparatively to my Salary Cap League Rankings system).

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    Would be curious as to how you score all of that (just thinking comparatively to my Salary Cap League Rankings system).
    I'll PM you sometime soon. I just started working on it the other night, and there are a few things that I want to tweak.