Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: 2nd Overall pick in inaugural draft

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default 2nd Overall pick in inaugural draft

16 team H2H salary cap (AAV) dynasty, cats G, A, Pt, SOG, STP, Hit, Blk, PIM (team loses cat for most PIMs), FO%

I have the 2nd OA pick and I want reassurance I am making the right move.

The pick has to be Draisaitl or MacK.....right? Or is there someone else (I know McJesus is the best player, but with that cap hit, it must push him down a bit, right?!?!)

Thanks and will REP where I can.

Dobber Sports Icon

Default Re: 2nd Overall pick in inaugural draft

McDavid is pick number one no question asks. Do not over think that.

After that, Draisaitl, MacKinnon and Pastrnak would be my top 3. My order would be MacKinnon then Pastrnak then Draisaitl.

Dobber Sports Deity

I'd draft McDavid first overall even in a cap league.

I'd probably draft Draisaitl 2nd overall primarily because he's signed to an amazing contract longer than MacKinnon or Pastrnak. Yes, Draisaitl costs more today, but Mac and Pastrnak have three years left then god knows what their contract will be. Draisaitl has five years remaining on his contract heading into next season. You can budget around your best player long term.

That's what I'd do, but to be fair, going with any of those three guys 2nd overall is a awesome.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Titan

MacK then Draisaitl for me.

It's what the numbers say for the next three years, and that's all that matters value-wise anyways.

Can you give some details on how your cap works and how big your rosters are?
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

I ended up picking MacK and I am pretty happy about it.

Roster composition is: 4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 1G, 4Bench, 20 Minors (minors don't count towards cap). Cap is whatever the current NHL one is (so $81.5 mil)......which is why I went MacK over McJesus (Draisaitl went first) because there are only 16 teams and pretty large rosters so I really worry about McD's cap hit. I would rather MacK + the $6.2mil extra to spend elsewhere.

Rep'd where i could.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by jtloveshack View Post

Roster composition is: 4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 1G, 4Bench, 20 Minors (minors don't count towards cap). Cap is whatever the current NHL one is (so $81.5 mil)......which is why I went MacK over McJesus (Draisaitl went first) because there are only 16 teams and pretty large rosters so I really worry about McD's cap hit. I would rather MacK + the $6.2mil extra to spend elsewhere.

Rep'd where i could.
    McDavid was on the table and you passed him up....wow, bold choice.
    Evansville Icemen District-5 Ducks
    LOEGM - 12 GM H2H Keeper
    G A PT SOG STA STG TRUC FOW
    W GA SV SV% SO
    WHL - 24 GM H2H Salary
    G A +/- PIM SOG PPP HIT BLK FOW
    W GA SV SO
    View Roster View Roster

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by jtloveshack View Post

Rep'd where i could.
    Yeah when you're that tight to the cap the extra salary makes a difference.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!

Quote Originally Posted by evans334 View Post
    McDavid was on the table and you passed him up....wow, bold choice.
    Definitely...maybe I outsmarted myself, but I took a look at the league and figured lots of teams are going to be cap strapped. Maybe I was playing 3-D chess when regular chess was the play, but I love MacK and the cap flexibility he offers.

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    Yeah when you're that tight to the cap the extra salary makes a difference.
    It's a new league so picking 2nd overall doesn't make him tight against the cap. He doesn't have a roster yet.

To the OP, dont get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with drafting MacKinnon, but passing on McDavid is something I couldn't have done. I would have found cap savings other places later in the draft.

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    It's a new league so picking 2nd overall doesn't make him tight against the cap. He doesn't have a roster yet.

To the OP, dont get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with drafting MacKinnon, but passing on McDavid is something I couldn't have done. I would have found cap savings other places later in the draft.
    You make a fair point, but personally I would rather have MacKinnon and $6M to spend throughout the draft than McDavid and a tightening cap. I think the difference between Mc and Mac can be made up fairly easily with the added cap flexibility.

I do understand the McDavid votes though. He is the best player, and paying for your stars does work. The guy who does draft McDavid will probably also be able to field a solid team.

Dobber Sports Deity

If I was doing an inaugural draft, I'd draft the best player available early on and worry about my cap later in the draft but that's me. The last thing I am worried about in round one of an inaugural draft is my cap situation.

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    If I was doing an inaugural draft, I'd draft the best player available early on and worry about my cap later in the draft but that's me. The last thing I am worried about in round one of an inaugural draft is my cap situation.
    That's the fun of the draft I guess is the different strategies.

Dobber Sports Icon

A new league started and McDavid was not picked with either of the first two picks? Either your league settings or your GMs are terrible. There can be no other explanation.

McDavid has been one of the top 2 scorers in the NHL in each of the past 4 seasons. MacKinnon has never finished in the top 3 in the NHL. MacKinnon was 72nd, 5th, 7th and 5th. Draisaitl was 8th, 34th, 4th and 1st. McDavid has 32 more points than MacKinnon over the past 3 seasons and 79 over the past 4 seasons.

Dobber Sports Superstar

Not to pile on but I too would have taken McDavid easily.

Anyways MacKinnon is solid and will be great for years to come. If you have only 16 teams and are using actual NHL cap-hit and actual salary cap I think your league is going to have a lot of decent players on the waiver wire at any given time. Not sure I love that setup.
    12 team H-2-H 1 year league, daily roster changes, 3 goalie start minimum/week
    2xC, 2xRW, 2xLW, 4xD, 3xUtil, 2xG, 5 Bench
    G, A, P, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, W, SV%, GAA, SVs
    C: C. Keller, C. Mittelstadt, B. Nelson, R. Strome,
    LW: K. Connor, B. Tkachuk, J. Gaudreau, J. Marchessault, E. Rodrigues, A. Lafreniere
    RW: K. Fiala, J. Bratt, T. Jeannot V. Arvidsson
    D: R. Josi, J. Trouba, E. Gustafsson,
    G: L. Thompson, F. Gustavsson, V. Vanecek
    NO IR

Administrator

In a cap league there are a handful of players I'd take ahead of McDavid. McDavid is the best player but he isn't twice as valuable as MacKinnon, Pastrnak, Crosby, Draisaitl, etc. There's a point in cap leagues where you can get too hung up on cost-per-point and value vs. production, but at the tippy-top there are smarter options ahead of McDavid. MacKinnon will allow you to spend that extra $2-3M on a couple of different players where your options are less spectacular. It just gives you more flexibility.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg