Thread: New Team- Close to Contending?

The Great One

Default New Team- Close to Contending?

So I made some moves especially in net that i think get me a lot closer to contending but wouldnt mind some feedback. I feel like my forwards need a year or two to grow into their roles and I likely need to add one more dman and 3-4 solid forwards through waivers over the next year or two.

G3, A2, Special Teams +1, Sog/Hit/Block0.1
    W4, SO4, L-2, Save0.2
    12F, 6D, 2G, 4BN
    Daily Changes

F- Matthews, Bjorkstrand, Hughes, Gusev, Kase, Garland, Labanc, Eberle, Coleman, Connolly, Ferland, Zacha
    D- Krug, Hronek, Toews, Ty Smith, Graves, Gudas
    G- Vasilevskiy, Bobrovsky
    Bn- Roslovic, Neal, Milano, Sikura, Raanta, Dell (Drop 2)
    Frm- Chmelveski, Elvenes, N Merkley

Dobber Sports Icon

Default Re: New Team- Close to Contending?

How big is your league? That's a terrible team in a 6 team league but it's a great team in a 30 team league.

The Great One

16 teams

Dobber Sports Ace

I'm in a 16 team league, with a salary cap that follows the NHL. I don't think this would be a playoff team in our league. Obviously, it's not a fair comparison (no one would/should spend $20 million in net) since I'm guessing that this isn't a cap league team.

If Bob has a big year, you could be a lower seeded playoff team. Likely a few years out, still.

Dobber Sports Stud

You will be in contention for one of the bottom 4 playoff spots for sure. A lot will hinge on whether your young guys take a step forward this year and whether Brob can return to Columbus-Brob. If both those things happen I can see you being in that 4-5 spot. I'm taking you down in the playoffs though one way or another
    16 GM Dynasty
    H2H Points
    Weekly Matchups w/ Starts: 12F/6D/2G
    G(3), A(2), +/-(0.1), Hit(0.1), SOG(0.1), BS(0.1), PPP(1), SHP(1)
    W(4), L(-2), SO(4), Sv(0.2), GA(-1)

F: A. Svechnikov, R. Thomas, N. Suzuki, Pastrnak, Boldy, J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Frost, Tolvanen, Drouin, Heinen, Gallagher, N. Ritchie, Wood, Poehling, Podkolzin

D: Makar, Fox, Dobson, Byram, Dahlin, Ferraro, Michael Stone

G Sorokin, Hart, Georgiev, DeSmith

Farm: Firkus, Kayumov, Heimosalmi, Brennan, Werner, Kvaca, Parik

Dobber Sports Grand Master

It's close. I can see you in the mix for a bottom end playoff spot. Once you are in, anything can happen.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Depending on how many teams make the playoffs, I could see you contending for a bottom tier playoff spot but there are a lot of gap in you team.

You have great goaltending. Your forwards are ok, besides Matthews you lack big impact players (Bjorkstand isn't there yet). Your defense needs a lot of work. Hronek is good, Krug should be good but there is a risk depending on where he ends up and the rest range from ok to barely rosterable.

You also lack depth. Out of your bench players the only I think worth having is Roslovic. I also wouldn't expect a whole lot from Ferland, Connolly, Garland or Zacha. You're looking at 40-50 points for each of those if you get lucky. Chances are they are more so in the 30-40 range.

The Great One

Great answers- rep- coming!

Dobber Sports Icon

My guess would be outside of the top 10. You have only 1 player who had 25 goals last season and goals are the most important stat in your scoring system. Most of your forwards don't hit or block shots. You have 3 guys on your team who likely won't even play in the NHL next season (Ferland, Smith, Sikura).

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

in a league with 12 f i cant see you competiting, even if hughes decides to have a good year you just dont have the horses, especially with goals counting for more, i know goaltending is important but i think i would look to move one of them, unfortunately Bob may have lost value, vasi may get you a great package to help you at f and d.... id personally shop Bob to start just my thoughts

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Quote Originally Posted by mjm44 View Post
    in a league with 12 f i cant see you competiting, even if hughes decides to have a good year you just dont have the horses, especially with goals counting for more, i know goaltending is important but i think i would look to move one of them, unfortunately Bob may have lost value, vasi may get you a great package to help you at f and d.... id personally shop Bob to start just my thoughts
    I was going to write that you have an outside shot, but yeah, since the goals count for more, I'll will be really hard.
    12 teams - points only, keep all

20 players ( 8 FWD - 4 DEF - 2 GK + BENCH)

FWD
    Kucherov
    Kuznetsov
    Crosby
    Kane
    Lindholm
    Aho
    J.Hughes
    Landeskog

DEF
    Hamilton, Jones, Montour, Letang

G