Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: [Real Rumour] Canucks exploring a Boeser trade

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default [Real Rumour] Canucks exploring a Boeser trade

From TSN 1040's Matt Sekeres (https://thecanuckway.com/2020/07/11/...-boeser-trade/)

I'm not opposed to a good trade of pretty much anyone, but any counter voices to this rumour?

Benning got himself in real cap trouble with the overpaid signings of Sutter, Eriksson, Beagle, the list goes on. The veteran depth guys (or hopefully more in Eriksson's case) have just been for way too much money. Now apparently they're favouring Toffoli over Boeser, and might have to ditch one to keep the other.

Regardless of whether this rumour is true or not, why is Benning not getting chastised more for hamstringing this team?

Administrator

Default Re: [Real Rumour] Canucks exploring a Boeser trade

They're gonna trade Boeser for some stay-at-home defenseman who you'd rather you left at home, and then sign Toffoli to a Skinner-esque deal and it's going to be horrible and stupid and I cannot wait for the schadenfreude of it all.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by metaldude26 View Post
    They're gonna trade Boeser for some stay-at-home defenseman who you'd rather you left at home, and then sign Toffoli to a Skinner-esque deal and it's going to be horrible and stupid and I cannot wait for the schadenfreude of it all.
    This literally made me L.O.L!!! It's like a bad combo of Edmonton and Buffalo's worst work!

Ahhh.. I do love seeing the Canucks struggle.

Dobber Sports Veteran

I sure hope you are wrong but it wouldn't surprise me.

Maybe the talk of Boeser/Dumba starts up again.

Dobber Sports Pro

Unlikely Dumba, he has pretty much the same salary. Skinner scored 40 goals in 2018 for that pay cheque - so thats just stupid. Toffoli had like 13 goals in 2018 and has not scored more than 25 since 2015. Hard to fathom the nucks paying him more than JT Miller. i sure hope not.
    How about Lundkvist and Carolina's first (or leafs) from the Rangers for Boeser? or another cheap Ranger dman.
    Thanks to Benning they need cap space right? Unless the team they trade to takes on salary it has to be a cheap contract or they can't afford to sign TT.
    Will depend on if BB can stay healthy for as many games as they play done the stretch as to the return.
    NA Hockey League 16 team H2H league multicat
    2010/2011 2014/2015 Champs

Saad, Kesler, Monahan, Ladd, T. Johnson, Hoffman, Neiderrieter, D. Sedin, O'Reilly, Hudler

Wideman, Barrie, Stralman, Muzzin, Enstrom, Vatanen

Miller, Lack, Elliot

Dobber Sports Prodigy

'Yeah for fun I just added up Benning's depth players contracts that are still with the Canucks next year, and most of them well beyond that...

Eriksson $6 million
    Sutter $4.375 million
    Roussell $3 million
    Beagle $3 million
    Ferland $3 millones
    Baertschi $2.9 million (and buried in minors)
    Spooner $1.03 million (not a Benning signing but that's the buyout fee - his contract was for $4 million and swapped for Sam Gagner's $3.1 million one that Benning did...which the Canucks are also paying part of)

Myers $6 million
    Benn $2 million

two problems here.

1) I get wanting guys like Beagle, Ferland, Roussell and Sutter on your team, but why not stick with 1 or 2 of them instead of overpaying for 4-5 of them? Those four alone cost $13.3 million for one year. That doesn't even count other guys he signed that are similar and he traded, like Tim Schaller.

2) always too much term and too much money. And i'm on the players' side. But $6m for Myers??

Dobber Sports Sage

I keep reading people on Twitter talk about how awful the idea of trading Boeser in order to keep Toffoli is. In a vacuum, Boeser > Toffoli but the Canucks would not be giving Boeser away for nothing. Assuming the Canucks can make a fair trade of Boeser, replacing his cap space with Toffoli and adding the assets from a Boeser trade would result in the Canucks being a stronger team rather than letting Toffoli walk for nothing. People need to wait and see how everything plays out. What would the Canucks get for Boeser? What type of contract would they sign Toffoli to? What would they do with the rest of their cap space?

And you can't just look at Toffoli's performance in LA the last couple seasons when trying the assess the type of player he is. I have been resisting trading Toffoli for the last year since I knew he was better than he has been showing and moving to a better team would result in a jump in his production. In Vancouver with Petersson Toffoli is 60ish point player. Look what it did for Miller. Overall, trading Boeser for assets and signing Toffoli to replace him on the 1st line could easily make Vancouver a stronger team.
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream Nation View Post
    I keep reading people on Twitter talk about how awful the idea of trading Boeser in order to keep Toffoli is. In a vacuum, Boeser > Toffoli but the Canucks would not be giving Boeser away for nothing. Assuming the Canucks can make a fair trade of Boeser, replacing his cap space with Toffoli and adding the assets from a Boeser trade would result in the Canucks being a stronger team rather than letting Toffoli walk for nothing. People need to wait and see how everything plays out. What would the Canucks get for Boeser? What type of contract would they sign Toffoli to? What would they do with the rest of their cap space?

And you can't just look at Toffoli's performance in LA the last couple seasons when trying the assess the type of player he is. I have been resisting trading Toffoli for the last year since I knew he was better than he has been showing and moving to a better team would result in a jump in his production. In Vancouver with Petersson Toffoli is 60ish point player. Look what it did for Miller. Overall, trading Boeser for assets and signing Toffoli to replace him on the 1st line could easily make Vancouver a stronger team.
    I'm being tongue in cheek about the Canucks completely bungling it, but...

When was the last time a team traded a proven young forward on an ELC and got the better end of the deal?

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by hawkdog View Post
    Unlikely Dumba, he has pretty much the same salary. Skinner scored 40 goals in 2018 for that pay cheque - so thats just stupid. Toffoli had like 13 goals in 2018 and has not scored more than 25 since 2015. Hard to fathom the nucks paying him more than JT Miller. i sure hope not.
    How about Lundkvist and Carolina's first (or leafs) from the Rangers for Boeser? or another cheap Ranger dman.
    Thanks to Benning they need cap space right? Unless the team they trade to takes on salary it has to be a cheap contract or they can't afford to sign TT.
    Will depend on if BB can stay healthy for as many games as they play done the stretch as to the return.
    It makes sense to trade BB for picks sadly. Do Canes need a top 6? No. Rangers may opt for Bb over Strome and have a second 1st rd pick. I also think Philly would make a good trade partner. We will see.

Sign Markstrom and TT, trade BB and let Tanev walk. They also signed Rathbone today.

Benning blew this by signing 3 lines worth of 4th liners...

Dobber Sports Sage

I'm being tongue in cheek about the Canucks completely bungling it, but...

When was the last time a team traded a proven young forward on an ELC and got the better end of the deal?
    Ryan Johansen for Seth Jones worked out alright for Columbus.
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Dobber Sports Titan

RyJo wasn't on his ELC. He was on a 3yr, 12mill bridge at the time (in the 2nd yr of the deal). Seth Jones was on his last yr of his ELC.

Brock Boeser is going into his 2nd yr of his 3yr, 17.625mill deal, so I don't even quite get metaldude26 asking when was the last time a young forward on an ELC was moved and they won the deal. Boeser isn't on an ELC.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Administrator

The exception to the rule.

The Great One

The exception to the rule.
    I would tend to disagree. Because you said "When was the last time a team traded a proven young forward on an ELC and got the better end of the deal?" Ryan Johansen was traded in his 5th year, well past his ELC.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by als_revenge View Post
    I would tend to disagree. Because you said "When was the last time a team traded a proven young forward on an ELC and got the better end of the deal?" Ryan Johansen was traded in his 5th year, well past his ELC.
    I mean, I ****ed up and said ELC, when I meant to say the cheap extension after the ELC. DN, filled in the blanks for me.

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    RyJo wasn't on his ELC. He was on a 3yr, 12mill bridge at the time (in the 2nd yr of the deal). Seth Jones was on his last yr of his ELC.

Brock Boeser is going into his 2nd yr of his 3yr, 17.625mill deal, so I don't even quite get metaldude26 asking when was the last time a young forward on an ELC was moved and they won the deal. Boeser isn't on an ELC.
    I know but I played the game anyway. It literally took me 10 seconds to think of an example. The key takeaway is that you cannot flatly say that trading Boeser is a mistake until you see the return and see Toffoli's contract. Drance in the Athletic predicted a 5.5 M contract.