Thread: Demko or Kaapo Kähkönen?

Dobber Sports Padawan

Default Demko or Kaapo Kähkönen?

Overall, who do you guys like better? Not exactly sure what the goalie status is in Minny with Duby and Stalock, but I'm inclined to think Van tries to sign Marky for at least 3 more years. I'm not in a huge rush to make a choice between the two, but who do you all think is the better investment? Demko could possibly be exposed to Seattle and I feel he'll just be in the same position as he's currently in with Van. Backup stuck behind (insert name.) Thanks, all!
    Points only keeper. 12 Teams. No pos requirements. 18 skaters / 3 goalies (2 count for points.) G/A = 1 point each (includes goalies) Goalies = 1.5 for W / 4.5 for SO. Minors - 4 year protection. Prospects added during their draft year only. Undrafted = waivers.
    Skaters: Tolvanen,Jeannot,Drysdale,Benson,Sprong,Fantilli,H .Lindholm,T. Raddysh,K. Miller,Edvinsson,Roslovic,Sharangovich,McBain,Benn ett,Crouse, Luostarinen,Dube,Phillips
    Goalies: Gustavsson,Schmid,Vejmekla
    Minors: F.Pinelli,Beckman,Cossa,Nikkanen,Tieksola,Pashin,M cMichael,Konovalov,Svechkov,K.Johnson,Moore,Crista ll,Heidt,Ziemmer,Perron,Nadeau,Gulyayev,Wahlberg, Suniev,Tomasino,Khusnutdinov

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Re: Demko or Kaapo Kähkönen?

Demko for me. He's shown a decent level of capability at the NHL level and has a good chance of being the number 1 starter as early as next season. While very possible that Markstrom re-signs, the likely scenario then is that Demko becomes Seattle's starter. So you're looking at a 1 to 2 year wait.

Kahkonen meanwhile is a bit more of a wildcard. He doesn't have the same pedigree that Demko has but has a similar short-term path. However, I think he has a lot more organizational issues to deal with. Dubnyk may have just had a down year and could rebound. Either way Dubnyk will be the starter next season with his 4.3M contract. And if management has truly lost faith in Dubnyk, there are a few good UFA options (Holtby, Lehner, Markstrom) who they could sign since they will be one of the few teams with extra cap space.

The Great One

Demko. All Minny needs to do is sign a UFA goalie and Kahkonen becomes irrelevant.

Dobber Sports Deity

Demko for me as well. He's an actual NHL goalie where as Kahkonen has yet to prove hes that.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Padawan

I'll stick with Demko. Very good points. Thanks all. Repd who I could.
    Points only keeper. 12 Teams. No pos requirements. 18 skaters / 3 goalies (2 count for points.) G/A = 1 point each (includes goalies) Goalies = 1.5 for W / 4.5 for SO. Minors - 4 year protection. Prospects added during their draft year only. Undrafted = waivers.
    Skaters: Tolvanen,Jeannot,Drysdale,Benson,Sprong,Fantilli,H .Lindholm,T. Raddysh,K. Miller,Edvinsson,Roslovic,Sharangovich,McBain,Benn ett,Crouse, Luostarinen,Dube,Phillips
    Minors: F.Pinelli,Beckman,Cossa,Nikkanen,Tieksola,Pashin,M cMichael,Konovalov,Svechkov,K.Johnson,Moore,Crista ll,Heidt,Ziemmer,Perron,Nadeau,Gulyayev,Wahlberg, Suniev,Tomasino,Khusnutdinov

Dobber Sports Ace

I like Demko over Kahkonen, but that doesn't necessarily mean that I like Demko.

If Markstrom isn't re-signed, then I like Demko. If Markstrom is re-signed, then Demko becomes a player with a ton of hype coming in who wasn't good enough to push the incumbent, average'ish, starting goalie out of the way; even in a flat-cap world, where his cheaper contract could be so important. That would send up some red flags for me. Justin Pogge, anyone? (maybe that's a little extreme at this point)

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Markstrom isn't average anymore or at least he didn't play average, his stats might not pop out to you but he's been as important to the Canucks over the last 18 months as Pettersson, Hughes, Miller etc. Also how do you let a good starting goalie walk, if they sign Markstrom they will try and trade him and if they keep both than one will likely land in Seattle.

Dobber Sports Icon

Demko and it's not even close. Demko is 8 months older than Kahkonen and is 2 years further along in his development. Demko is an NHL goalie while Kaapo Kahkonen is a 3rd stringer behind two guys signed for a couple of years each.

Dobber Sports Jedi

I'd go Demko over Kahkonen primarily based on opportunity.

Although, I'd disagree he's 2 years behind in his development as he was playing vs. men in Finland before coming to North America and had lights out numbers in LIIGA. I won't be surprised if Kahkonen ends up the better goalie.

The thing to watch though is whether Van signs Markstrom. If they do, Markstrom is going to want some form of expansion protection. So does that make Demko expendable? With DiPietro to be entering 3rd year pro at the time of the expansion draft I think an argument could be made that they will leave Demko exposed. Clearly a bit of a conspiracy theory, but all to possible.

At the age of Minn's goalies - Kahkonen's time may be sooner than given credit for. The job will be there to be stolen. Just look at MAF in Pitts. One would have thought he was safer to keep the net three years ago in Pitt than Dubnyk currently is in Minn.

Food for thought
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I'd keep Demko, as he's more established, and his path is clearer, plus he has a NHL role right now.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Solid roger, dudes! Per your advice, I'll keep him. Promise I won't make any stupid offers haha!