Thread: What went wrong with borgstrom in florida?

Dobber Sports Initiate

Default What went wrong with borgstrom in florida?

Sky was the limit following his exceptional college career, and he was supposed to walk into a top 6 role on a decent Florida team. But that didn't happen, and now he seems to be off the radar, and definitely not expected to be an impact player any longer...I have waited on him for the last 2 seasons, but looks like I have to cut bait
    'To be is to do' - Socrates....'To do is to be '- Sartre..........
    'To do be do be do' - Sinatra.

15 Team Keeper League - 20 roster spots (4C 4L 4R 6D 2G)
    Point Categories - G A +/- PIMS GAA SV%
    Protect 13-15 *$80 Team cap

C - Bergeron, Zibanejad,
    L - Connor, Marchand, Olofsson
    R - Nylander, Wheeler, Gallagher, Rust
    D - Carlson, Josi, Nurse
    G - Vasilevskiy

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Re: What went wrong with borgstrom in florida?

No room in the top six at the time and he didn't fit quite well enough into a bottom six role at the time.

Why do you have to cut bait? Impatience?
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Ace

I'm not sure if something went wrong, so much as the timing just wasn't right, yet. As Axe says, no room in the top 6 and he's not a bottom 6 player. I don't think that that makes him a guy to get rid of at this point; however, with Tippett still not up, and guys like Heponiemi, Denisenko, whoever they will draft this year, all in a similar situation, there doesn't seem to be a CLEAR path for him at the moment. That doesn't mean that there isn't a path (Hoffman, Dadonov, Haula are all top 6 players who are UFAs), but it'll be tough.

I LOVE THIS SITE, let me say that before I continue with my personal experience with Borgstrom. There are so many knowledgeable and dedicated people on here - who will give you hours of their honest answers and genuinely want everyone to win their fantasy leagues. That being said, it doesn't mean that everyone is always right. Two summers ago, the hype train for Borgstrom was absolutely insane. Here was a guy who was essentially undrafted in many-to-most fantasy leagues coming out of his draft year, another entry draft or two had passed, and suddenly, he was all the rage. Red flags should have gone up, but for me, then didn't, and I bought into the hype and even traded up on draft night to get Borgstrom.

So, my question back to you, Puckhead, is were you closely following these forums two years ago? Because, if so, then quite possibly, like me, you feel very let down by Borgstrom. That is sort of how I am reading your post. If this is the case, then maybe the question isn't so much of "What happened to him?" versus "Were/are my expectations realistic?".

Depending on your farm system size, I don't think it's a bad idea to move on from him if you can replace him with someone in a better situation. I wouldn't drop him unless you had a better option (obviously), because I still there that there is something there for Borgstrom - it's just not going to be as profound and easy as you might have believed (I certainly believed) two years ago.

Dobber Sports Initiate

I guess I am asking if I should? With Denisenko being the shiny new toy, I haven't heard where Borgstrom is. He was supposed to come in last season, but didnt last long and either didn't handle the demotion to the AHL very well, as he didn't impress. Maybe its the whole jump from College to the pros that takes guys longer to figure out. If he can figure it out, and be who they billed him to be, that would be a very impressive forward group, with Denisenko and Tippett and whoever they re-sign between Dadonov or Hoffman.

C - Bergeron, Zibanejad,
    D - Carlson, Josi, Nurse
    G - Vasilevskiy

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by tobias View Post
    I'm not sure if something went wrong, so much as the timing just wasn't right, yet. As Axe says, no room in the top 6 and he's not a bottom 6 player. I don't think that that makes him a guy to get rid of at this point; however, with Tippett still not up, and guys like Heponiemi, Denisenko, whoever they will draft this year, all in a similar situation, there doesn't seem to be a CLEAR path for him at the moment. That doesn't mean that there isn't a path (Hoffman, Dadonov, Haula are all top 6 players who are UFAs), but it'll be tough.

I LOVE THIS SITE, let me say that before I continue with my personal experience with Borgstrom. There are so many knowledgeable and dedicated people on here - who will give you hours of their honest answers and genuinely want everyone to win their fantasy leagues. That being said, it doesn't mean that everyone is always right. Two summers ago, the hype train for Borgstrom was absolutely insane. Here was a guy who was essentially undrafted in many-to-most fantasy leagues coming out of his draft year, another entry draft or two had passed, and suddenly, he was all the rage. Red flags should have gone up, but for me, then didn't, and I bought into the hype and even traded up on draft night to get Borgstrom.

So, my question back to you, Puckhead, is were you closely following these forums two years ago? Because, if so, then quite possibly, like me, you feel very let down by Borgstrom. That is sort of how I am reading your post. If this is the case, then maybe the question isn't so much of "What happened to him?" versus "Were/are my expectations realistic?".

Depending on your farm system size, I don't think it's a bad idea to move on from him if you can replace him with someone in a better situation. I wouldn't drop him unless you had a better option (obviously), because I still there that there is something there for Borgstrom - it's just not going to be as profound and easy as you might have believed (I certainly believed) two years ago.
    You NAILED IT TOBIAS!!! I was drinking the kool-aid and made a big deal to pick up Borgstrom, as part of a big deal. The issue I have is that he no longer qualifies to remain on my farm team, and needs to take an active roster spot...which is why the question is more pressing for me. If I didn't have to promote him, then waiting longer for him wouldn't be an issue at all, as the promise still seems very worth it.

Does he become an NHLer next season? Even if he does, its unlikely he will make an impact, but it would be a step in the right direction.

C - Bergeron, Zibanejad,
    D - Carlson, Josi, Nurse
    G - Vasilevskiy

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by Puckhead View Post
    I guess I am asking if I should? With Denisenko being the shiny new toy, I haven't heard where Borgstrom is. He was supposed to come in last season, but didnt last long and either didn't handle the demotion to the AHL very well, as he didn't impress. Maybe its the whole jump from College to the pros that takes guys longer to figure out. If he can figure it out, and be who they billed him to be, that would be a very impressive forward group, with Denisenko and Tippett and whoever they re-sign between Dadonov or Hoffman.
    He is heading to Finland, last I heard, to play in the K. Not sure if he's signed yet, but that was the rumor.

Denisenko is essentially in the same boat that Borgstrom was. No room in the top 6, and really, how soon are you expecting Denisenko to make an impact? He could fight for a spot soon, but he's still young and Florida isn't desperate to rush him. He very well could be a carbon copy of HB as far as situation goes.
    Points only keeper. 12 Teams. No pos requirements. 18 skaters / 3 goalies (2 count for points.) G/A = 1 point each (includes goalies) Goalies = 1.5 for W / 4.5 for SO. Minors - 4 year protection. Prospects added during their draft year only. Undrafted = waivers.
    Skaters: Tolvanen,Jeannot,Drysdale,Benson,Sprong,Fantilli,H .Lindholm,T. Raddysh,K. Miller,Edvinsson,Roslovic,Sharangovich,McBain,Benn ett,Crouse, Luostarinen,Dube,Phillips
    Goalies: Gustavsson,Schmid,Vejmekla
    Minors: F.Pinelli,Beckman,Cossa,Nikkanen,Tieksola,Pashin,M cMichael,Konovalov,Svechkov,K.Johnson,Moore,Crista ll,Heidt,Ziemmer,Perron,Nadeau,Gulyayev,Wahlberg, Suniev,Tomasino,Khusnutdinov

Dobber Sports Deity

Shiney, unproven toys are always a gamble and no one here owns a crystal ball. We all get horny for those Shiney toys, trying to guess the future and it's fun when you guess right but to be fair, it's also a great lesson to learn patience with these kids because they are still just kids. I learned the hard way a few times to be patient with them and not throw the towel in too early on them. That hurts even more when they finally pay off, just after you gave up on them LOL.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Initiate

My keeper league is entering its 19th season, and when I started it was my first attempt at a hockey pool that wasnt simply pick a bunch of guys and wait until the end of the season to see who won...I loved the managing my team day to day, drafting, trading, and evaluating. I remember wanting the young guys who were full of promise, and cheap, and thinking I was gonna hit a home run every time. I learned the hard way, especially because in those days, the NHL rarely used their young guys right away, and opted to go with the proven guys, who paid their dues in the minors etc...Fast forward to today, and with the cap crunch that a lot of teams deal with now, young guys are used very early on, and given the opportunity to step in and contribute.
    So, while things have changed, a lot has remained the same, and the proven guys are always less of risk, and often more reward...that need to hit the home run with the risk/reward prospect makes for a nice story and some bragging rights when it pays off, but too often you are left with a hole in your roster, and an opportunity to work on building a contending team lost.

C - Bergeron, Zibanejad,
    D - Carlson, Josi, Nurse
    G - Vasilevskiy

Dobber Sports Ace

You NAILED IT TOBIAS!!! I was drinking the kool-aid and made a big deal to pick up Borgstrom, as part of a big deal. The issue I have is that he no longer qualifies to remain on my farm team, and needs to take an active roster spot...which is why the question is more pressing for me. If I didn't have to promote him, then waiting longer for him wouldn't be an issue at all, as the promise still seems very worth it.

Does he become an NHLer next season? Even if he does, its unlikely he will make an impact, but it would be a step in the right direction.
    Apologies if I missed it somewhere, but how many teams are in your league, and how many players do you roster?

For a 14 team, let's say 20 player roster, I wouldn't be using a roster spot on Borgstrom.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by tobias View Post
    Apologies if I missed it somewhere, but how many teams are in your league, and how many players do you roster?

For a 14 team, let's say 20 player roster, I wouldn't be using a roster spot on Borgstrom.
    15 team Keeper league. 20 roster spots. I think the only reason I was even considering holding on to him, was because the deal I made that included him didnt work out great for me, and I guess I really needed him to turn into an impact type guy to help with that. I know, thats the same as the NHL GM who sticks with the high priced guy, because his contract dictates endless opportunity, even when the cheaper, hungrier rookie is outplaying him...lesson learned. I find that you take a shot, and if it doesn't work, you need to get over it quick or you make more mistakes.

C - Bergeron, Zibanejad,
    D - Carlson, Josi, Nurse
    G - Vasilevskiy

Dobber Sports Superstar

15 team Keeper league. 20 roster spots. I think the only reason I was even considering holding on to him, was because the deal I made that included him didnt work out great for me, and I guess I really needed him to turn into an impact type guy to help with that. I know, thats the same as the NHL GM who sticks with the high priced guy, because his contract dictates endless opportunity, even when the cheaper, hungrier rookie is outplaying him...lesson learned. I find that you take a shot, and if it doesn't work, you need to get over it quick or you make more mistakes.
    I wouldn't be wasting a keeper spot on him now if only 20 keepers and 15 team league. Keep him in the back of your mind and you can also redraft or pick up as free agent. His best bet is to get traded to a new team , or 1 more year in minors / Finland will help him develop, some guys take longer.
    Piranha Hockey League est 1990 - Oakley Doakley's - 16 teams
    Pts only W=2 OL=1 SO=3 Auction Draft

WHL - est 2016 Expansion - Glasgow Kiss - 24 teams
    25 pro players / 10 minor league players
    G,A,+/-,PPP,SOG,Hits,Blk,PIM,FOW, W,Sv,GA,SHO