Thread: John Marino

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default John Marino

Hey

John Marino come out of nowhere last year. What should we expect from him?

Thanks!
    Vic

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Re: John Marino

Hard to say, seeing as a lot of his production came while guys like Letang and Schultz were out with injuries.

He's a nice compliment to those guys, but I am keeping my expectations in check. 30-35pts maybe? Maybe more if the opportunities come back like they did this past season.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Demi-God

I was just reading an article on theathletic discussing possession metrics for defensemen.
    It was really good. Some people poo-poo stats, but possession metrics for D really substantiate what many of us see with the "eye-test".

Marino has pretty great possession stats.
    I think PIT actually saw enough of his smarts last season to part-ways with Calen Addison (and acquire Zucker).
    Personally, I think PIT let's Schultz walk and we see Marino picking up a lot of PP2 time.

My feeling: He's going to go 40pts+, yearly, for PIT.
    I'm a big fan and am super-sad I missed my opportunity to grab him in a few keeper leagues.
    I think he learned a lot (but was also overshadowed) by Adam Fox getting all the big offensive minutes on recent Harvard hockey teams!
    It wouldn't surprise me if PIT's first-order-of-business when 2020-2021 season officially opens up is to sign Marino to a long-term extension: 6yr x $4m... something like that.

Smart, solid-skating D-men are going to be highly-valued going forward.
    Sam Girard was one of our first tastes of it...
    But it will be a major trend going forward in hockey.

Farewell to the lumbering heavy-shot point man.
    Hello to zone-entry-dudes!

Dobber Sports Initiate

I had the same question, might start a thread, because he's available in my fantasy draft as are Kubalik, Gusev, Gavrikov, Mikheyev and the whole 2020 NHL draft.

I was wondering where he [Marino] would go compared to the 2020 NHL draft? top10? top20?
    31 TEAMS keep all multi-cat (lot of them) dynasty
    Offensive stats : Goals, Assist , PPP, PPTOI, SOG...
    Defensive stats : PKTOI, BLKS, TakeAway, Giveaway...
    (basically best NHL player)

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Schultz is UFA at the end of this season (whenever it finishes) and due to the Pens cap crunch I think Marino will be the PP2. Plus, whenever Letang is injured, he'll slide up to PP1. Lots of opportunity for him.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by VanDan View Post
    Schultz is UFA at the end of this season (whenever it finishes) and due to the Pens cap crunch I think Marino will be the PP2. Plus, whenever Letang is injured, he'll slide up to PP1. Lots of opportunity for him.
    This sounds about right. I plan to draft Marino as Letang insurance.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Marino is on my dynasty league roster in sig, because he's on Pittsburgh, and is the second best offensive D there. That league requires 2 starting D from the same NHL team as your starting goalie. For skater, only goals & assists matter.

I especially agree with this:
    They resigned Pettersson already, and Letang is a Penguin for life, essentially. They have some serious bloat in Jack Johnson who they signed for 3-4 years too long, and millions too much.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Ace

I posted about Marino about a week before Crosby's long hiatus asking folks if they thought he might drop off because he had zero track record, and he didn't do a damn until Crosby was out of the lineup... then low and behold, his numbers went right back to almost nothing just as they were before Crosby left. This is concerning to me... plus bring back Guentzel. I mean if Letang is even 80% healthy, I don't know if there are enough points to go around for everyone. Look at Marino during weeks 6-15 of the season... then look at the weeks before and after - uncanny, and this is apart from his late season injury. I'd like to see another full season before I can grade my eye test. Of course I'd like to see any season of anything right about now!
    10 Team H2H Points (Keep 1C, 2W, 2D, 1G, & 1 non-goalie):
    G,A,+/-, PIM, PPG, SHG, GWG, OTG, FOWs, Hits, Blks, Maj, Mis, (bonus scoring for D-men makes them comparable to Wing)
    Wins, Saves, GA, Shutouts

18 Man Roster (3 IR slots) Daily Start: 2C, 4W, 4D, 2G

C: Zibanejad, Thomas, Tavares
    W: Stutzle, Robertson, Connor, Buchnevich, McCann
    D: Makar, McAvoy, Josi, Theodore, Matheson, Harley
    G: Georgiev, Binnington, Kochetkov, Andersen (IR)

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Letang is a lifer, no doubt. He's just injury prone and someone has to step up when he does go down. I get that Pettersson and Johnson will get their points just by being on the team, but I think Marino has the biggest potential due to his ELC and stats this year. I'm not saying he'll be a star, but I think he'll be a solid producer for them, 30+ points considering PP2 time and the occasional PP1.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Letang is a lifer, no doubt. He's just injury prone and someone has to step up when he does go down. I get that Pettersson and Johnson will get their points just by being on the team, but I think Marino has the biggest potential due to his ELC and stats this year. I'm not saying he'll be a star, but I think he'll be a solid producer for them, 30+ points considering PP2 time and the occasional PP1.
    part of Piuttsburgh's problem is that Johnson IS on the team. He's been below average to poor for a while.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.