Thread: Bowen Byram...Can he realize his upside in Colorado??? - I need HELP!!!

Dobber Sports Initiate

Default Bowen Byram...Can he realize his upside in Colorado??? - I need HELP!!!

There is no denying his skill level and what he brings to the table, but once a player is drafted, now he has to fill a role on the team. On most teams in the league, (maybe all of them) other than the team that drafted him, he would be the man in the next season or two. However, with Cale Makar ahead of him, how can he become the big man on campus? Does that not hurt his value in a keeper league, or would you have no reservations in trading for him?
    'To be is to do' - Socrates....'To do is to be '- Sartre..........
    'To do be do be do' - Sinatra.

15 Team Keeper League - 20 roster spots (4C 4L 4R 6D 2G)
    Point Categories - G A +/- PIMS GAA SV%
    Protect 13-15 *$80 Team cap

C - Bergeron, Zibanejad,
    L - Connor, Marchand, Olofsson
    R - Nylander, Wheeler, Gallagher, Rust
    D - Carlson, Josi, Nurse
    G - Vasilevskiy

The Great One

Default Re: Bowen Byram...Can he realize his upside in Colorado??? - I need HELP!!!

It's all about the cost of acquisition. I certainly wouldn't pay as much knowing Makar is there. But whether to trade for him is entirely dependent on the asking price.

Dobber Sports Sage

Default Re: Bowen Byram...Can he realize his upside in Colorado??? - I need HELP!!!

I would trade him if I could get an equally talented prospect. Makar is going to be in Colorado for a long time.
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Dobber Sports Deity

Doesn't one shoot right and the other shoot left?
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Prodigy

There’s Samuel Girard to think about too in terms of who’s behind Makar on PP1...Girard has already proven to be more than capable.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

The cream always rises to the top. Byram sure has all it takes to be dominant in the NHL, but I think it could take some time for him to become THAT player given Makar's presence in the lineup. So I'd say his value is just slighty down. Patience and faith!
    12 teams - points only, keep all

20 players ( 8 FWD - 4 DEF - 2 GK + BENCH)

FWD
    Kucherov
    Kuznetsov
    Crosby
    Kane
    Lindholm
    Aho
    J.Hughes
    Landeskog

DEF
    Hamilton, Jones, Montour, Letang

G
    Markstrom, Grubauer

BENCH
    Glass, Gustafsson, Tolvanen, Andersson, Levi

Dobber Sports Rookie

Very few players (aka none) avoid slumps/injuries. I think Makar had a Calder winning year but can he repeat and avoid the sophomore slump? Can he stay healthy?
    Byram will get his shot at some point. What he does with it and how tight of a leash he gets will determine his future role.
    Teams find spots for you if your good enough and there’s enough pucks to go around in Colorado.
    Plus Makar is almost 3 years older than Byram. Lots of time for him to make his mark.

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by als_revenge View Post
    It's all about the cost of acquisition. I certainly wouldn't pay as much knowing Makar is there. But whether to trade for him is entirely dependent on the asking price.
    This. Potential is not the issue here, opportunity is. Byram is currently not in an ideal situation in Colorado which directly effects his short term value. Pay accordingly. That said, trying to acquire him for a fair price is absolutely worth pursuing in a keeper. The cream does rise to the top and over the course of two or three years things do change, acquiring blue chip players just waiting for the opportunity is never a bad thing if your league provides for that.
    14 Team Roto; Keep 25; 12 F, 6 D, 2 G; 10 Farm; 5 Bench; 5 IR;

Salary Cap - 102.5 Mil

Scoring Cats: G, A, Pts, PIM, Hits, BS, SOG, F Points, D Points; Win+Ties+SO, GAA, SV%

Keepers

F: Aho, Larkin, DeBrincat, Vrana, Bennett, Scheifele, Kakko,Tolvanen, McBain,

D: Heiskanen, Fox, Toews, Lundqvist

G: Swayman, Andersen, Copley

Drops

F: Gaudreau, Terravainen, Puljujarvi, Kravstov, Zary

D: Brannstrom, Cernak, Alexeyev

G: Korpisalo, Merzlikins

FARM: Rossi, Berggren, Holtz, Savoie, Clarke, Tarasov, Wolf

Dobber Sports Legend

Byram has all the talent in the world but I think he will be more used like Provorov and Ekblad--capable of doing more damage on the PP but limited due to their overall game.
    Makar is going to run the offense from the blueline in Denver along the lines of Karlsson in Ottawa and Gonchar in Pittsburgh--that's his job--he is the top dog.
    Add to that, Girard's value is in the offense he can bring--so he will get scrap PP minutes. I could see him and Byram running a PP2.
    As things stand now, I see Byram as a 40-50 point player with much better upside in another situation (think Provorov).
    8-GM / WK-H2H
    Forwards: G=2, A=1, PP/SH= +1, GWG= +2, Shootout G=1, HT= +1
    D-Men/Captain: G=3/A=2
    Goalies: W=3, OTL=1, SO= +2, SV= .10

Start = 13F, 6D, 2G / Keep 44 (3G)
    Captain: Matthews
    (F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,
    Seider, Edvinsson, Jiricek, Korchinski, Mintyukov, Ceulemans, Hutson
    (G): Shesterkin, Demko, Vejmelka