Thread: Taylor Hall vs Oliver Bjorkstand

Dobber Sports Newbie

Default Taylor Hall vs Oliver Bjorkstand

Points only keeper with a 100 millions salary cap (can only protect 12 at the end of the season) so basically he's offering my Taylor Hall (UFA) for his Oliver Bjorkstand (2.5m) and an 8th round pick. That pick would turn into a Holtz, Rossi or Perfetti and he would be in my farm (salary doesn't count) based on previous years. I heard all those rumors about Hall signing a cheap and not long contract for Calgary or Colorado so I'm not sure what to do.

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Re: Taylor Hall vs Oliver Bjorkstand

I'm keeping Hall and not even thinking twice about it.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Is that an 8th overall pick, or an 8th round pick?

If it's 8th overall, I take that deal. 8th round pick, I don't.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Icon

Keep Hall.

I would be looking to add players who need new contracts next year as opposed to selling them. The available cap space in the NHL this off-season is the smallest it's ever been. New contracts are going to be smaller than they were expected to be 5 months ago.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Hello and welcome to the forums. I will go against the grain but do not suggest you listen. I like OB and think TH is a straight up loser. The 8th overall pick is good insurance.

Posting mostly because I think this is one of those forum threads we look back at and go, huh - blew that one! Happened to me last year.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I'm a big Bjorkstrand believer but I can't justify taking him over Hall. Still need to see a bit more from OB before I can take that leap.

Dobber Sports Ace

Bjorkstrand career high: 40 points

Hall career high: 93 points

lol

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by audiopile View Post
    The 8th overall pick is good insurance.
    I am pretty sure the OP said an 8th round pick.

Dobber Sports Deity

Lets also not forget that the "savings" from Bjorkstrand is only for one more season as his contract is coming due next off-season. This would be a bad trade for you.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Newbie

Well if I can cut some extra dollars this and there to have more space at the draft. So far I got:
    Mcdavid (12,5) Marchand (6.1) Aho (8,4) Point (6,75) Nuge (6) Hall (8?) Svech (3,575)
    Turcotte (2,8) Kaprizov (4?) Zadina (1,775) Hedman (7,8) Klingberg (4,25) Q. Hugues (1,604) Hronek (0,8) Boqvist (1,775) and Rask (7) which takes me roughly to 84/100millions and still got to fill 4 missing spots so that's why I was asking if Bjork is a more viable option. Anyway thanks guys for your advices

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Lets also not forget that the "savings" from Bjorkstrand is only for one more season as his contract is coming due next off-season. This would be a bad trade for you.

That's a good point! The savings are only for next year + you're not getting the better player. I'd decline.
    12 teams - points only, keep all

20 players ( 8 FWD - 4 DEF - 2 GK + BENCH)

FWD
    Kucherov
    Kuznetsov
    Crosby
    Kane
    Lindholm
    Aho
    J.Hughes
    Landeskog

DEF
    Hamilton, Jones, Montour, Letang

G
    Markstrom, Grubauer

BENCH
    Glass, Gustafsson, Tolvanen, Andersson, Levi

Dobber Sports Ace

I'm not a huge hall guy so since the pick can get you guys like holtz perfetti etc I'd do it. I bjork will either get a smaller raise if he doesn't blow it up or get hall money if he does. Would you protect hall as one of your 8? I don't think you would, so for that reason along with not loving halls value to what I think he'll get, I'd make the deal

Dobber Sports Superstar

Bjork has done nothing to get anywhere near Hall money which will easily be 8 mil a year bare minimum and most likely more. I also do not believe in Hall to be a consistent dynamo. After ten seasons played, we have seen him cross 65 points three times. He has played a full 82 game season once. I won't deny the ability for him to score PPG but I have seen enough as far as lack of durability and overall inconsistent production to offload for the seemingly up and coming Bjorkstrand plus the pick.

Dobber Sports Superstar

Not
    14 Team Roto; Keep 25; 12 F, 6 D, 2 G; 10 Farm; 5 Bench; 5 IR;

Salary Cap - 102.5 Mil

Scoring Cats: G, A, Pts, PIM, Hits, BS, SOG, F Points, D Points; Win+Ties+SO, GAA, SV%

Keepers

F: Aho, Larkin, DeBrincat, Vrana, Bennett, Scheifele, Kakko,Tolvanen, McBain,

D: Heiskanen, Fox, Toews, Lundqvist

G: Swayman, Andersen, Copley

Drops

F: Gaudreau, Terravainen, Puljujarvi, Kravstov, Zary

D: Brannstrom, Cernak, Alexeyev

G: Korpisalo, Merzlikins

FARM: Rossi, Berggren, Holtz, Savoie, Clarke, Tarasov, Wolf

Dobber Sports Prodigy

No. Hall is a top line player (even though I'm not a fan of his) and as previously noted you're only saving for one year at the most. It's a gamble as to whether he resigns in Arizona and whether he stays healthy, but Hall has the higher ceiling than Bjorkstrand. If he increases the pick to a 1st or 2nd rounder, then I'd be tempted. Hopefully for you Hall signs outside of Arizona (which is a low scoring team) and plays 1st or 2nd line on a stud team.