Thread: Who Should I Draft at 4th Overall?

Dobber Sports Newbie

Default Who Should I Draft at 4th Overall?

I'm in a 12 team keeper league, with 10 keepers and 5 minors. I have the 4th overall pick in next year's fantasy draft and I'm assuming Lafreniere and Byfield go 1 and 2. It's still a long ways away, so I'm just kicking the tires on what to do. I'm not sure what will happen at 3, but regardless, I'm preliminarily leaning towards one of either Marco Rossi or Yaroslav Askarov. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Default Re: Who Should I Draft at 4th Overall?

Is it two separate drafts? One for rookies and then one for NHL regulars?

If it is two separate drafts then for 4th overall I would be looking at whoever is left out of:

Byfield
    Stutzle
    Perfetti

Dobber Sports Titan

I would go for Rossi over Askarov, but you could go with any of that top 9 group and end up with a solid player.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

The Great One

What does your team look like? Points only or multicat? Askarov at 4th overall seems an incredible waster, unless you plan to tank for the next 5 years.

Dobber Sports Newbie

It is just one combined draft. I'm in the middle of more of a rebuilding mode, so that is why I'm looking at a prospect rather than one of the best available players who wasn't kept.
    12 team keeper league.
    10 keepers and 5 minors.

G, A, P, +/-, STP, GWG, S, W, SV%, GAA, SO
    (minor eligibility: skater must have played less than 175 nhl games. goalie must have played less than 75 nhl games)

Centers: E. Kuznetsov, S. Monahan, R. Hintz

Left Wing: A. Panarin, J. Benn

Right Wing: V. Olofsson, T. Teravainen

Defense: T. DeAngello

Goalies: C. Hellebuyck, I. Samsonov

Minors: B. Hayton, J. Puljujarvi, G. Denisenko, J. Norris, A. Barre-Boulet

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by MyGoodies View Post
    It is just one combined draft. I'm in the middle of more of a rebuilding mode, so that is why I'm looking at a prospect rather than one of the best available players who wasn't kept.
    Rebuilds end at some point and you need players then. And if not, players often get moved for solid young talent hauls.
    Who else is available?
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Deity

Even in a rebuild, without knowing who will be available after other teams make their drops, it's hard to know who to draft.

What are the requirements to hold someone in your minors?
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

A rebuild is not necessarily drafting guys from the most recent entry draft.

You want to make sure you consider the entire universe or available players and not just focus on this years draft.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

Dobber Sports Newbie

Our league hasn't turned in our keeper lists yet. We do that right after the NHL free agency opens up. I know a lot of things are going to happen between now and our fantasy draft, that will affect my decision. I was really just looking to get everyone's opinion on the top prospects after Lafreniere and Byfield.
    12 team keeper league.
    10 keepers and 5 minors.

G, A, P, +/-, STP, GWG, S, W, SV%, GAA, SO
    (minor eligibility: skater must have played less than 175 nhl games. goalie must have played less than 75 nhl games)

Centers: E. Kuznetsov, S. Monahan, R. Hintz

Left Wing: A. Panarin, J. Benn

Right Wing: V. Olofsson, T. Teravainen

Defense: T. DeAngello

Goalies: C. Hellebuyck, I. Samsonov

Minors: B. Hayton, J. Puljujarvi, G. Denisenko, J. Norris, A. Barre-Boulet

The Great One

With 120 NHL players kept, and 60 Minors kept, I'd be drafting the best forward available. I suspect Lafreniere, Byfield and Stutzle will be the top three picks. The gap, IMO, is very small with the next batch (Holtz, Rossi, Perfetti, etc).

Askarov is a wasted pick, I'd easily go Rossi as he can replace one of the 5 in your minor league system.

If you can trade down from 4 to 5th, 6th, or 7th and pick up an extra draft pick - I wouldn't hesitate to do that (unless you personally love Rossi a lot more than the other guys in his tier. I don't, but that's a subjective opinion).

Our league hasn't turned in our keeper lists yet. We do that right after the NHL free agency opens up. I know a lot of things are going to happen between now and our fantasy draft, that will affect my decision. I was really just looking to get everyone's opinion on the top prospects after Lafreniere and Byfield.

For me the top entry draft prospects after these two are:

Stutzle
    Perfett
    Raymond
    Rossi
    Drysdale
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

Dobber Sports Deity

My top four prospects in this years draft are Lafreniere, Byfield, Stutzle and Raymond, in that order. If you can get any of those guys with that #4 OA pick, I'd say you are doing pretty good. I do agree with a few others though that the top three are set and it gets thin as far as separating from 4 down to 7 in my opinion. Askarov is not in my top 7.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

The Great One

Rossi or Perfetti at 4.....assuming your 1 & 2 picks are correct.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I have the same issue.. 14t dynasty.. very large rosters and multicat. I have picks 1, 2 and 4 in the draft (2020 prospects).

I'm taking Lafreniere 1st and I'm sold on Byfield at 2 (as much as I really like Stutzle). 4 I'm torn between Raymond and Askarov.. goaltending is a need, but at best best best case scenario I see Askarov coming over in 2 seasons (again best best case).. but have been leaning Raymond. I just think, after all the research I've done so far, he's the guy to take at 4 for upside. Rossi could be a gem as well. It may come down to where they get drafted to, but Raymond/Rossi is where I'd be looking (I know I am).
    14T dynasty
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG
    W, SV%, SO, GAA, SVS

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by Lindros88 View Post
    I have the same issue.. 14t dynasty.. very large rosters and multicat. I have picks 1, 2 and 4 in the draft (2020 prospects).

I'm taking Lafreniere 1st and I'm sold on Byfield at 2 (as much as I really like Stutzle). 4 I'm torn between Raymond and Askarov.. goaltending is a need, but at best best best case scenario I see Askarov coming over in 2 seasons (again best best case).. but have been leaning Raymond. I just think, after all the research I've done so far, he's the guy to take at 4 for upside. Rossi could be a gem as well. It may come down to where they get drafted to, but Raymond/Rossi is where I'd be looking (I know I am).
    From what I have been hearing, Detroit is likely to take Perfetti at 4 and that Raymond could drop. I will definitely not take Askarov at #4 (and I have that pick). It's either Perfetti, Raymond, or Rossi for me. I will be conflicted in NOT DRAFTING whoever Yzerman selects unless it is Drysdale.
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov