Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Expansion Draft Preparation - Thoughts on a Crazy Idea

Dobber Sports Icon

Default Re: Expansion Draft Preparation - Thoughts on a Crazy Idea

Our expansion draft has officially started. Pick one was completely off the board. Expansion team A received a 2021 4th round pick to take Kaapo Kahkonen.

Other goalies available include (in no particular order):

Petr Mrazek
    Alex Stalock
    Antti Raanta
    Ville Husso
    Lukas Dostal
    Jacob Markstrom
    UP Luukkonen
    Dan Vladar
    Cal Petersen
    Robin Lehner
    Devan Dubnyk
    Casey Desmith
    Hunter Jones
    Jeremy Swayman
    Dustin Wolf
    Collin Delia
    Thomas Greiss
    Pekka Rinne
    Braden Holtby
    Jaroslav Halak
    Anton Khudobin
    Cam Talbot
    Jack Campbell (same team as Kahkonen)
    Jake Oettinger (same team as Kahkonen)
    Ivan Prosvetsov (same team as Kahkonen)
    Carter Hutton
    Brian Elliott
    Mike Smith
    Sergei Bobrovsky
    Connor Ingram
    Corey Crawford
    MA Fleury
    Mikko Koskinen
    Joel Hofer
    Ian Scott
    Anders Nilsson

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by chuckcouples View Post
    Our expansion draft has officially started. Pick one was completely off the board. Expansion team A received a 2021 4th round pick to take Kaapo Kahkonen.

Other goalies available include (in no particular order):

Petr Mrazek
    Alex Stalock
    Antti Raanta
    Ville Husso
    Lukas Dostal
    Jacob Markstrom
    UP Luukkonen
    Dan Vladar
    Cal Petersen
    Robin Lehner
    Devan Dubnyk
    Casey Desmith
    Hunter Jones
    Jeremy Swayman
    Dustin Wolf
    Collin Delia
    Thomas Greiss
    Pekka Rinne
    Braden Holtby
    Jaroslav Halak
    Anton Khudobin
    Cam Talbot
    Jack Campbell (same team as Kahkonen)
    Jake Oettinger (same team as Kahkonen)
    Ivan Prosvetsov (same team as Kahkonen)
    Carter Hutton
    Brian Elliott
    Mike Smith
    Sergei Bobrovsky
    Connor Ingram
    Corey Crawford
    MA Fleury
    Mikko Koskinen
    Joel Hofer
    Ian Scott
    Anders Nilsson
    Well, Kahkonen is in my top 10. I think...

Dobber Sports Grand Master

First, what was your protect/available list?

That 4th is in the rookie draft, right? I like that move for the expansion team, but I would've waited to pick him. With first overall give me an actually good skater - Patrick Kane would do.

The maneuvering will be interesting, if you post the details, this will be a must-read.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Icon

Here are the protected lists and the available lists.Pro 1 - 10.pngPro 11 - 20.pngAvail 1 - 10.pngAvail 11 - 20.png
    Add Aaron Dell, Henrik Lundqvist, Amir Miftakov, Olof Lindbom and Tyler Parsons to the team that did not protect Lars Eller and add Ian Scott to the unprotected list that has Ivan Barbashev on it.

Expansion draft so far. It's a snake draft and the picks are listed in order for the team that picked them.

Team 1: Kaapo Kahkonen (+ 2021 4th round rookie draft pick), Christian Dvorak, Jeremy Swayman, Brett Howden, Jared McCann
    Team 2: Patrick Kane, Braden Holtby, Nick Schmaltz, Jake Virtanen, Nolan Patrick , Ryan Suzuki
    Team 3: Jacob Markstrom, Petr Mrazek, Sam Girard, Noah Hanifin, Jonathan Drouin, Andre Burakovsky
    Team 4: Mathhew Boldy, Jake DeBrusk, Travis Sanheim, Connor Zary, Veini Vehvilainen, Nicholas Hague
    Last edited by chuckcouples; July 23, 2020 at 12:21 AM. Reason: Added Info

Thanks. Teams 2 & 3 look like your likely pretty solid teams so far.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

You guys had to do your 2020 draft before this?? That would be frustrating no wonder you traded your 2020 1st rd pick for a 21' pick
    20 Team Dynasty H2H League: Devils (Rebuild Mode)
    5th Year
    G=1.5, A=1, PPP=.25, SHP=.25, BLK=.1, HIT=.1, SOG=1, FOW=+.1, FOL=-.1, GA=-1, SV=+.1, SHO=4, W=3

C : Hischier, Horvat,
    W : Marner, P. Kane, Fiala
    D : Provorov, Bouchard
    G : Campbell, Francouz

Minors:
    C : Tomasino, Rossi, Khustnutdinov, Amirov, Stankoven,
    W : N. Robertson, Maccelli,
    D : Addison, Farrance, Morrow, Heinola, Rathbone
    G : Annunen, Thompson

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I'm in the same league (team in sig), so I figure I'll add some commentary here rather than starting a new thread.

Quote Originally Posted by tcat View Post
    You guys had to do your 2020 draft before this?? That would be frustrating no wonder you traded your 2020 1st rd pick for a 21' pick
    Yeah, made things a bit more fair for the expansion teams. Definitely is part of the reason that some teams exposed players seem crazy. The team that is letting P. Kane, Hoffman and Oshie go had 5 first rd picks he had traded for in the past couple years that he felt he had to protect which clearly limited his options. Still seems crazy to me to let Kane walk, but I get it to a degree.
    32 Team Dynasty With Cap (83.5M) - H2H Pts
    Skaters: G: 4, A: 2, PPP: 1, SHP: 2, SOG: 0.5, HIT: 0.5, BLK: 0.5, FOW: 0.1, +/-: 0.5
    Goalies: W: 6, SHO: 6, SV 0.25, GA: -2
    Positions: 3C, 6W, 3F, 6D, 2G, 3BN, 20 Prospects

C: McTavish, Newhook, Dellandrea, Parssinen, Sillinger, Jost
    W: Svechnikov, Guenther, Berggren, Krebs, Palat, Foudy
    D: Weresnki, Chabot, Ekholm, Krug, Pelech, Jensen, Forbort
    G: Blackwood, Ersson

Top Prospects: Smith (SJS), Savoie (BUF), Bourgault (EDM), Bourque (DAL), Perron (CAR), Korchinski (CHI), Nikishin (CAR), Jones (NYR), Cossa (DET), UPL (BUF), Daws (NJD)

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by jshed2 View Post
    I'm in the same league (team in sig), so I figure I'll add some commentary here rather than starting a new thread.
    Yeah, made things a bit more fair for the expansion teams. Definitely is part of the reason that some teams exposed players seem crazy. The team that is letting P. Kane, Hoffman and Oshie go had 5 first rd picks he had traded for in the past couple years that he felt he had to protect which clearly limited his options. Still seems crazy to me to let Kane walk, but I get it to a degree.
    Just curious - was the expansion known about before he acquired all these picks? And if not, was there a trading period where he had an opportunity to tweak his roster in light of the upcoming expansion?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by chuckcouples View Post
    Here are the protected lists and the available lists.Pro 1 - 10.pngPro 11 - 20.pngAvail 1 - 10.pngAvail 11 - 20.png
    Add Aaron Dell, Henrik Lundqvist, Amir Miftakov, Olof Lindbom and Tyler Parsons to the team that did not protect Lars Eller and add Ian Scott to the unprotected list that has Ivan Barbashev on it.

Expansion draft so far. It's a snake draft and the picks are listed in order for the team that picked them.

Team 1: Kaapo Kahkonen (+ 2021 4th round rookie draft pick), Christian Dvorak, Jeremy Swayman, Brett Howden, Jared McCann
    Team 2: Patrick Kane, Braden Holtby, Nick Schmaltz, Jake Virtanen, Nolan Patrick , Ryan Suzuki
    Team 3: Jacob Markstrom, Petr Mrazek, Sam Girard, Noah Hanifin, Jonathan Drouin, Andre Burakovsky
    Team 4: Mathhew Boldy, Jake DeBrusk, Travis Sanheim, Connor Zary, Veini Vehvilainen, Nicholas Hague
    You trade for a first round pick next year with one of these teams; I'm just curious which one? I'm hoping it's Team A LOL

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by als_revenge View Post

You trade for a first round pick next year with one of these teams; I'm just curious which one? I'm hoping it's Team A LOL
    Or Team D.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by als_revenge View Post
    Just curious - was the expansion known about before he acquired all these picks? And if not, was there a trading period where he had an opportunity to tweak his roster in light of the upcoming expansion?
    The decision to expand was made just a couple months ago, so he didn't stock up after knowing. Everyone had the chance to trade beforehand, though that team didn't do too much. Personally I took the opposite strategy of @Chuckcouples and traded away most of my excess (I only had 23-25 guys worth keeping to begin with anyways) for a collection of future 2nds.

Also, I traded expansion team 1 for their next two firsts at the cost of Drysdale and a future 2nd. So I'm fairly happy with how the draft is shaping up so far.
    32 Team Dynasty With Cap (83.5M) - H2H Pts
    Skaters: G: 4, A: 2, PPP: 1, SHP: 2, SOG: 0.5, HIT: 0.5, BLK: 0.5, FOW: 0.1, +/-: 0.5
    Goalies: W: 6, SHO: 6, SV 0.25, GA: -2
    Positions: 3C, 6W, 3F, 6D, 2G, 3BN, 20 Prospects

C: McTavish, Newhook, Dellandrea, Parssinen, Sillinger, Jost
    W: Svechnikov, Guenther, Berggren, Krebs, Palat, Foudy
    D: Weresnki, Chabot, Ekholm, Krug, Pelech, Jensen, Forbort
    G: Blackwood, Ersson

Top Prospects: Smith (SJS), Savoie (BUF), Bourgault (EDM), Bourque (DAL), Perron (CAR), Korchinski (CHI), Nikishin (CAR), Jones (NYR), Cossa (DET), UPL (BUF), Daws (NJD)

Dobber Sports Icon

I traded for Team 3's first round pick next year but then I ended up acquiring the guy I would have picked with my first rounder (Lukas Reichel) for Lassi Thomson (who I would not have protected in the expansion draft).

The expansion draft continues...

Team 1: Kaapo Kahkonen (+ 2021 4th round rookie draft pick), Christian Dvorak, Jeremy Swayman, Brett Howden, Jared McCann, Adam Gaudette, Marcus Hogberg, Samuel Fagemo, Arturri Lehkonen, Andreas Johnsson, Aleksi Saarela
    Team 2: Patrick Kane, Braden Holtby, Nick Schmaltz, Jake Virtanen, Nolan Patrick , Ryan Suzuki, Jake Bean, Brandon Carlo, Casey Mittelstadt, Cal Foote
    Team 3: Jacob Markstrom, Petr Mrazek, Sam Girard, Noah Hanifin, Jonathan Drouin, Andre Burakovsky, Radek Faksa, Charlie Coyle, Brandan Lemieux, Devon Toews
    Team 4: Mathhew Boldy, Jake DeBrusk, Travis Sanheim, Connor Zary, Veini Vehvilainen, Nicholas Hague, Henri Jokiharju, Robin Lehner, Martin Kaut, John Beecher

How big are these team rosters? Are they picking a full team or just a portion?

Finding out a few months ago would be frustrating but as an expansion team this looks like fun.

In our 20 team league we lose at least 1/2 GMs a year i can't imagine adding 4 teams haha

Dobber Sports Icon

Game day rosters are 3C, 6W, 3F, 6D, 2G. We also have 3 reserve spots and a maximum of 50 roster spots including minors (less than 100 NHL games played (50 for goalies) or currently in the minors).

Expansion teams are drafting 40 guys each. Each existing team is losing 8 players with a maximum of 1 goalie.

I'm in this hockey discord and buddy asked me my opinion on his protected list for an expansion draft and after looking at the protected lists realized he's in this league lol

Quote Originally Posted by tcat View Post
    I'm in this hockey discord and buddy asked me my opinion on his protected list for an expansion draft and after looking at the protected lists realized he's in this league lol
    Sweet. Is he the guy who didn't protect Kane? If he is, you know what to do with any future advice.

Honestly, I love expansion drafts, any of the big 4 sports. I've read numerous articles on them, always a lot of fun. I enjoy them in sim/fantasy leagues as well; crazy things can happen. I tend to be one of those wheeler-dealer expansion GMs.