Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Is it a good trade?

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Is it a good trade?

Hi guys,

I am in a points only league (8F 4D 1G) and i have 3 picks in this draft (5-6 and 9). I keep all my players in this league. I finished 2nd this year and i think I can be top 3 again next year. 1 goal=1 pt and 1 assist=1 pt.

Someone offers me his Scheifele, a 1st round pick 2021 (probably late, around 9th or 10th) and another 1st round pick 2022 (this one could be better, like top 4)
    Vs
    My 3 first pick this year (5-6-9) and a good 2nd round pick 2021.

Is it a good deal for me? I want to win or finish at least top 3 so Scheifele could be useful, but on the other side, 3 picks this year could help my team because i got some older players (Kane, Tavares, Wheeler, OReilly, Huberdeau, Panarin, Yandle, Andersen, etc.)

Thanks for your comments.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Default Re: Is it a good trade?

Are there interesting players that were not drafted in previous years for your upcoming draft? To me, that's a big part of the answer.
    12 teams - points only, keep all

20 players ( 8 FWD - 4 DEF - 2 GK + BENCH)

FWD
    Kucherov
    Kuznetsov
    Crosby
    Kane
    Lindholm
    Aho
    J.Hughes
    Landeskog

DEF
    Hamilton, Jones, Montour, Letang

G
    Markstrom, Grubauer

BENCH
    Glass, Gustafsson, Tolvanen, Andersson, Levi

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I assume the picks are solely rookie picks? (ie Lafreniere and co) if so then this deal is a no brainer for me. You're in a win now position, don't think about 4 - 5 years down the line, think about actually winning and the main piece of this trade Scheifele who is a young top C.

If there is one thing I've learned from Dobber forums is you shouldn't trade older assets for younger if you're in a position of strength and could win now, I don't know all of the details but those are some top players and as you keep all players for me it's an easy decision.

Scheifele is the best part of this deal > 5th/6th overall - the chances both of these become better than Scheifele are slim but by then you'll hopefully have won a few championships
    2021 1st (prob late) - 9th Overall - You give up a 9th this year and get roughly the same back next year
    2022 1st (could be top 4) > 2021 2nd Rounder (lets say 15th overall as I don't know how many in your league - A top 4 pick in the 2022 draft which has the three-headed monster in, ontop of the other stuff you're getting? WIN WIN WIN

I would do this deal without the 2022 1st, so I'd say accept
    Team One (Mercenaries Of Mandalore) 24T Dynasty, 4LW/RW/C, 6D, 2G, 4B - G, A1, A2, PPG, PPA, SHP, SOG, FOW, FOL, TK, GV, HIT, BLK, FT, ||| W, L, GA, SV, SHO, A

Team Two (Hamilton Tigers) 16T Dynasty - 3LW/RW/C, 6D, 2G, 6B - G, A, PPP, SHP, SOG, BLK, HIT, FOW| W, L, GA, SV, SHO, A

Click here for my teams (not up to date)

Links are too a google document.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Make the deal, win again. Its good to plan ahead but Sheifele for picks trades don’t come knocking every day. It would be quite something if those 3 picks replaced 3 of the older players you mentioned. This way you get one for sure, Sheif isnt old, he has 4-5 ppg seasons left in him.

It would be useful to know who you would take with those picks, just to be sure.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by jeff_pro_mason View Post
    Are there interesting players that were not drafted in previous years for your upcoming draft? To me, that's a big part of the answer.
    Zegras, Kaprizov, Konecny, Olofsson and the 2020 draft class...

There are the big names!!

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by audiopile View Post
    Make the deal, win again. Its good to plan ahead but Sheifele for picks trades don’t come knocking every day. It would be quite something if those 3 picks replaced 3 of the older players you mentioned. This way you get one for sure, Sheif isnt old, he has 4-5 ppg seasons left in him.

It would be useful to know who you would take with those picks, just to be sure.
    I got another deal on the table from another GM:

My 6th and 9th
    Vs
    His 3rd pick (i could pick Byfield or Stutzle) and i keep my 5th pick.

This is a better deal for me or you prefer the one with Scheifele?

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Quote Originally Posted by Patysboy View Post
    Zegras, Kaprizov, Konecny, Olofsson and the 2020 draft class...

There are the big names!!
    Then you are probably right. Short term, you've got your answer! Sucks to lose a guy like Zegras though. God knows when Kaprizov will arrive in the NHL, so he's a non factor. Konecny and Olofsson are not on the same level as Scheifele. If you think he's the difference maker for you pool, go for it!

About the other offer you've received from another GM, I think it's a preety good one. You could get Byfield/Stutzle and still get a guy like Konecny? I like it a lot. But with the information you gave us, it seems you're trying to win now. It would be nice to see your whole lineup, but my answer here is Scheifele.

FWD
    Kucherov
    Kuznetsov
    Crosby
    Kane
    Lindholm
    Aho
    J.Hughes
    Landeskog

DEF

G
    Markstrom, Grubauer

BENCH

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Then you are probably right. Short term, you've got your answer! Sucks to lose a guy like Zegras though. God knows when Kaprizov will arrive in the NHL, so he's a non factor. Konecny and Olofsson are not on the same level as Scheifele. If you think he's the difference maker for you pool, go for it!

About the other offer you've received from another GM, I think it's a preety good one. You could get Byfield/Stutzle and still get a guy like Konecny? I like it a lot. But with the information you gave us, it seems you're trying to win now. It would be nice to see your whole lineup, but my answer here is Scheifele.
    Here's my team:
    Forwards: Kane, Huberdeau, Tavares, Teravainen, OReilly, Lindholm, Panarin, Zibanejad, Wheeler, R. Thomas, Turcotte and Glasd

Def : Theodore, Doughty, Q. Hughes, Heiskanen and Yandle

G: Andersen and Fleury

Dobber Sports Titan

Have you shopped those picks around to the league and is Scheifele the best you could do?
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Quote Originally Posted by Patysboy View Post
    Here's my team:
    Forwards: Kane, Huberdeau, Tavares, Teravainen, OReilly, Lindholm, Panarin, Zibanejad, Wheeler, R. Thomas, Turcotte and Glasd

Def : Theodore, Doughty, Q. Hughes, Heiskanen and Yandle

G: Andersen and Fleury
    I don't know how many starters you need for forwards, but Scheifele is easily a top 6 option in this skilled group of players. And your team is not that old!

FWD
    Kucherov
    Kuznetsov
    Crosby
    Kane
    Lindholm
    Aho
    J.Hughes
    Landeskog

DEF

G
    Markstrom, Grubauer

BENCH

Dobber Sports Prodigy

i don't know how many starters you need for forwards, but scheifele is easily a top 6 option in this skilled group of players. And your team is not that old!
    8f 4d 1g

Dobber Sports Pro

I think you should go for that deal. Though your post is a little unclear - are those picks described by round, or by overall (all in the first round)?
    12 Team Keep 6: G/A:1 W/SO:2
    C - McDavid, Matthews, Schiefele
    LW - Draisaitl, Fiala, Meier
    RW - ​​Marner, Barzal, Zuccarello
    D - Dahlin, Morrissey, Dunn, Matheson
    G - Skinner
    B - Marchessault, Caufield, Teravainen, McCann, Montour, Jones, Saros

12 Team Keep 10 (& 5 Minors)
    : G/A/OTL:1 W:2 SO:3
    '24 Picks (16 Rounds) - 1,1,1,1,1,2,2,3,3,3,5,5,6,6
    F - ​McDavid, Rantanen, Point, Aho, Nylander, M. Tkachuk, Guentzel, MacKinnon, Pavelski, Duchene, Farabee, Henrique
    D - Bouchard, Dobson, Matheson, Andersson, Letang
    G - Vasilevskiy, Markstrom
    B - Joseph, Schenn, Nyqvist, Roslovic, Duclair, S. Jones, Korpisalo, Quick, Rittich
    M - Cooley, Michkov, Rossi, Hutson, Mateychuk

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by Svbetts View Post
    I think you should go for that deal. Though your post is a little unclear - are those picks described by round, or by overall (all in the first round)?
    Sorry, its overall. All in the first round

Dobber Sports Superstar

you're built to win now, make the deal for Marky Mark. Do not make the fatal mistake many undertake looking to the future too much when you should be most focused on winning the current or upcoming season. Worry about the tear down when it arrives and several years of great production left in the players you have. Kane will not drop off before 35 IMO.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by LuigiC173 View Post
    you're built to win now, make the deal for Marky Mark. Do not make the fatal mistake many undertake looking to the future too much when you should be most focused on winning the current or upcoming season. Worry about the tear down when it arrives and several years of great production left in the players you have. Kane will not drop off before 35 IMO.
    Yeah i understand your point. At the same time, if i do the trade for the 3rd overall, maybe i could get more in return...