Thread: 31 Team Dynasty - Where to take this team?

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default 31 Team Dynasty - Where to take this team?

31 Team Dynasty w/ Cap (NHL using AAV).

Team (fp/g in brackets):

C: Barkov (6.16), Hischier (4.73), Trocheck (4.98), Cizikas (5.05)
    W: Kucherov (6.61), Svechnikov (5.74), Bjorkstrand (5.40), Vrana (4.55), R. Thomas (3.04), Palmieri (4.69), Dadonov (4.26), Compher (3.79), Clutterbuck (3.66), Byron (2.88)
    D: Krug (4.58), Borowiecki (4.78), Mayfield (3.20), Holl (2.89), DeMelo (2.84), Holden (3.43)
    G: Dubnyk (2.70), Quick (3.66)
    Notable Prospects: Zamula, Z. Jones, Ersson, M. Anderson

After being one of the top teams for the last few years, I fell to 5th place this past year. Unfortunately teams #1 and 2 have made a fairly sizable gap on everyone else which I don't think I can make up due to a combination of my fairly depleted prospect pool, lack of cap (projecting to be around 7M over) and lack of goaltending.

As it is, I see a few options:

#1: Trade away both goalies and Byron to make cap space and try to make a push for one more year before several key contracts expire and are up for large raises (Svech, Vrana, Palmieri, Bjorkstrand, Thomas)

#2: Retool. Trade away some older guys (Palmieri, Dadonov, Krug, Boroweicki, etc) and try to stock assets to make another run in 2-3 years.

#3: Rebuild. Keep core players (Barkov, Hischier, Svechnikov, Thomas, Vrana, Bjorkstrand and maybe Kucherov) and trade away everyone else. Probably looking at 3-4+ years before I'm competitive again.

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: 31 Team Dynasty - Where to take this team?

I like a combo of 1 and 2. You need to replace the goalies, and you have a good team for next year with some solid contracts. Moving out a few of the older guys for a few young NHL players that can grow into bigger roles will help with keeping competitive while still managing the gap into the next few years.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Prodigy

It would be nice to know what is the scoring format. h2h points, h2h one win and What are the points categories etc. That way we can see who starts/whose more valuable.

I like #2 /#3.

First off, You have to improve your goaltending. Move a few guys out and maybe try and pick up a goalie. If you go to leagues where guys hoard them, maybe peruse the FA pool, find some useful guys to hold on to and sell at a good price when injuries hit if you have the cap space.

You also could, and you may not like this, sell off Kucherov. I'm sure someone will grossly overpay. Make it know he is not the only offer. Kuch and Dadonov or Krug for 2 roster players, 2 prospects and a higher first rounder is not out of the question. I recently did that that for Stamkos and Hoffman and kucherov is way more valuable. Have discussions with your fellow owners.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I never want to rebuild a team, unless it's when I take it over and it's junk already. Plus this is a 31 team league, you finished 5th, and want to throw in the towel? If that truly what you want to do, the correct answer is probably to get out of leagues that large. So #3 is a non-starter for me. The team is already ahead of 2/3 of your league, so tearing it down makes no sense.

Your goaltending is likely okay for your league, but is likely not ok compared to how much you are spending on it. I'd look to retool, and aim to pick up some longshot goalies who aren't in the NHL right now, but are in the AHL. If you find a guy who is good enough to be a steady NHL backup, that should help you. Another option is guys like Georgiev who are deemed to not be future starters, but certinaly have the stats to back that idea up.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Pro

Since it's a cap league, I'd probably look to move Krug before his big raise. Maybe those old goalies too? But your team is solid - no need for a teardown.
    12 Team Keep 6: G/A:1 W/SO:2
    C - McDavid, Matthews, Schiefele
    LW - Draisaitl, Fiala, Meier
    RW - ​​Marner, Barzal, Zuccarello
    D - Dahlin, Morrissey, Dunn, Matheson
    G - Skinner
    B - Marchessault, Caufield, Teravainen, McCann, Montour, Jones, Saros

12 Team Keep 10 (& 5 Minors)
    : G/A/OTL:1 W:2 SO:3
    '24 Picks (16 Rounds) - 1,1,1,1,1,2,2,3,3,3,5,5,6,6
    F - ​McDavid, Rantanen, Point, Aho, Nylander, M. Tkachuk, Guentzel, MacKinnon, Pavelski, Duchene, Farabee, Henrique
    D - Bouchard, Dobson, Matheson, Andersson, Letang
    G - Vasilevskiy, Markstrom
    B - Joseph, Schenn, Nyqvist, Roslovic, Duclair, S. Jones, Korpisalo, Quick, Rittich
    M - Cooley, Michkov, Rossi, Hutson, Mateychuk