Thread: Lafreniere or Byfield

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Lafreniere or Byfield

So I've got 1st and 7th overall picks in a 10 team h2h pts league.

It's the million dollar question. Who to pick and why?

What are everyone's thoughts?

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Re: Lafreniere or Byfield

I've yet to hear a good reason to draft Byfield over Lafreniere. Sure, Byfield is a center vs Lafreniere who's a winger. If anything, that's just another reason to draft Lafreniere.

No one owns a crystal ball but Lafreniere has been the consensus #1 for some time now and nothing has changed for me as far as seeing anything that would make me not take Lafreniere first overall.

Don't overthinking it.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Ace

Sit back and relax. While Lafreniere might not be generational, he's been the consensus number 1 pick in a good draft year.

Dobber Sports Superstar

LaFraniere; he's older for his draft class so his mental makeup a little further along plus he is physically more ready than Byfield. Byfield is only 17, he will be a great player IMO but he needs time whereas Alexis may come in and score 50 plus points year one, especially if he ends up flanking the likes of Crosby thanks to NHL COLLUSION.

Dobber Sports Superstar

I may be wrong here, it sure wouldn't be the first time, but the pick is obvious IMO. LaFraniere will come out of the gate fast and only build from there. Byfield will be chasing for years and may never pull even or pass. Just my opinion again, but don't look at this from a "who will have the best career" perspective, look at it from a "who will help my team the most in the next 3 - 5 years" perspective. I think it's Alexis hands down. We'll see.
    14 Team Roto; Keep 25; 12 F, 6 D, 2 G; 10 Farm; 5 Bench; 5 IR;

Salary Cap - 102.5 Mil

Scoring Cats: G, A, Pts, PIM, Hits, BS, SOG, F Points, D Points; Win+Ties+SO, GAA, SV%

Keepers

F: Aho, Larkin, DeBrincat, Vrana, Bennett, Scheifele, Kakko,Tolvanen, McBain,

D: Heiskanen, Fox, Toews, Lundqvist

G: Swayman, Andersen, Copley

Drops

F: Gaudreau, Terravainen, Puljujarvi, Kravstov, Zary

D: Brannstrom, Cernak, Alexeyev

G: Korpisalo, Merzlikins

FARM: Rossi, Berggren, Holtz, Savoie, Clarke, Tarasov, Wolf

Dobber Sports Star

I think the only Byfield supremacy considerations are ones that are outside of fantasy hockey, i.e., having a grade A center is more valuable than having a grade A wing. That's about it.

From a strictly fantasy perspective, it's Lafreniere all the way. Especially if goals are given more weight than assists. And if you count shots on goal. And if you count hits. And if you give more weight to getting your production sooner.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Lafreniere is the easy choice today, and you would have to put up with some ridicule from the other GM's in your league. That said, he is almost a year older than Byfield, and while Lafreniere is the more polished, all around player, I have heard that Byfield has the higher ceiling, and will end up being the man for this draft. I guess what I'm saying is that you can't go wrong with either choice, although you may have to wait for Byfield's upside. He is already 6'4" and 215Lbs, and could play at 230Lbs, and even grow taller still, just an absolute speciman.

If I had the 1st overall, I would most likely take Lafreniere, but I would be extremely happy if I had the 2nd pick. Also, for what its worth, I think seeing which team wins the 1st pick and where they end up being drafted should factor into this whole thing. Good luck.
    'To be is to do' - Socrates....'To do is to be '- Sartre..........
    'To do be do be do' - Sinatra.

15 Team Keeper League - 20 roster spots (4C 4L 4R 6D 2G)
    Point Categories - G A +/- PIMS GAA SV%
    Protect 13-15 *$80 Team cap

C - Bergeron, Zibanejad,
    L - Connor, Marchand, Olofsson
    R - Nylander, Wheeler, Gallagher, Rust
    D - Carlson, Josi, Nurse
    G - Vasilevskiy