Thread: Kakko or Lafreniere

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Kakko or Lafreniere

Thoughts on points only or multicat. I have first overall in one of each kind. Wondering how he stacks up vs Kakko or Hughes?

Thanks!

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Re: Kakko or Lafreniere

Some think Lafreniere is the "next generational talent". So, they would take him hands down. IMO, if you look at draft year, yes he is ahead of Hughes/Kakko. But, both Hughes/Kakko, while they didn't perform up to expectations their first year being picks 1/2 respectively, have one year of NHL experience under their belt. Lafreniere does not. I think Lafreniere has the highest ceiling of all. He will have his moments next year, but also might struggle to adjust to the grind of a full NHL season and the speed and physicality, as Hughes and Kakko did last year. Is he the next McDavid or Crosby.............I have my doubts. I personally think Hughes/Kakko will have a ceiling of 70-80pts. I think Lafreniere is 85-95pts. Long term, I would pick Lafreniere.
    20tm multicat salary keeper
    19 Active/6 Reserve/ 33 Minors
    3C/3LW/3RW/3SKT/6D/1G
    Skaters: G/A/PlusMinus/PIM/SOG/PPP/SHP/Hit/Blk/FOW/FO%
    Goalies: W/GAA/SV/SV%/SHO

Dobber Sports Grand Master

If you are giving #1 overall in a trade, you should be able to get a good add on top of either of Kakko/JHughes. Those 2 have disappointed, Lafreniere has not.

If it's not a trade, and those 2 guys are available in your draft because they got tossed back, that tells you everything you need to know - they got tossed back. Take Lafreniere, and trade him for a very good young player who isn't seen as quite his level - Brady Tkachuk, Svechnikov, etc.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Thanks guys! Will keep my 1st

Dobber Sports Legend

I would 100% keep Lafreniere--especially since we don't know where he'll end up.
    Could you imagine if he ends up in EDM, PIT, TOR or NYR? My goodness.
    The kid is already top-line material. Even in Chicago playing on a line with Kane--drool worthy.
    8-GM / WK-H2H
    Forwards: G=2, A=1, PP/SH= +1, GWG= +2, Shootout G=1, HT= +1
    D-Men/Captain: G=3/A=2
    Goalies: W=3, OTL=1, SO= +2, SV= .10

Start = 13F, 6D, 2G / Keep 44 (3G)
    Captain: Matthews
    (F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,
    Seider, Edvinsson, Jiricek, Korchinski, Mintyukov, Ceulemans, Hutson
    (G): Shesterkin, Demko, Vejmelka

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I think Lafreniere is clearly above Kakko and Hughes. This should be true for points only (probably right from the start of next season), but it's especially the case in multi cat formats where both Kakko and Hughes won't offer many peripherals in contrast to Lefrenière who plays way more with an edge.
    24 team H2H dynasty, fantasy points, no cap
    Skaters: G 4.5 (5 for Ds), A 3, PPG 1.5 (2 for Ds), PPA 1 (1.5 for Ds), SHP 2, Ft 2, HIT 0.6, BLK 0.6, SOG 0.3 (0.4 for Ds), FW 0.1, Tk 0.5 // Gv -0.3
    Goalies: W 3.5, SHO 5, SV 0.5, A 3 // GA -3, L -1.5
    4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 2G, 4BN, 4IR

C: McDavid, MacKinnon, Hischier
    LW: B.Tkachuk, Ovechkin, Paul(C), Jones
    LW/RW: Meier, Fiala, Giroux(C), Niederreiter
    RW: Reinhart, Anderson
    D: Josi, Matheson, Durzi, Moser, Cernak, Zadorov, Siegenthaler
    G: Daccord, Merzlikins, Vanecek, Pickard

44 minors; most noteables: A.Schmid, E.Andrae, M.Kesselring, S.Malinski, B.Pachal, L.Bichsel, E.Soderblom,...

Dobber Sports Deity

First off, I dont consider Lafreniere a generational talent. I think he will be an excellent winger in the NHL in a couple years but it's standard practice for everyone to woo over the latest and greatest and quickly discard the "old" so to say. At this time last year, everyone was wooing over JHughes and Kakko, just like everyone is wooing over Lafreniere today. This time next year, there will be someone else new to woo over.

You can't be so short sighted when it comes to prospects and draft picks. The fact that both Hughes and Kakko played in the NHL last year as a kid is pretty damn good. Not many come in and "just turn it on" as an 18/19 year old kid in this league. It's pretty rare. Those are the special guys.

You look at who is the front runners for the Calder from this past year. Quinn Hughes played last year as a 20 year old. Cale Makar as a 21 year old. Kakko and JHughes played as 18 year olds.

My point being, just because JHughes and Kakko didn't come out with guns a blazing doesn't mean you need to write them off. There's very few kids who come in and dominate as 18 year olds. We could see similar struggles from Lafreniere, and I wont be surprised if we do. Fear not, there will be fresh meat to woo over in another years time and the Lafreniere frenzy will be a year old, and less exciting. Or, who knows, he could surprise us and still excite us. That's the fun part about fantasy and trading away proven for potential.

Good luck!
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    First off, I dont consider Lafreniere a generational talent. I think he will be an excellent winger in the NHL in a couple years but it's standard practice for everyone to woo over the latest and greatest and quickly discard the "old" so to say. At this time last year, everyone was wooing over JHughes and Kakko, just like everyone is wooing over Lafreniere today. This time next year, there will be someone else new to woo over.

You can't be so short sighted when it comes to prospects and draft picks. The fact that both Hughes and Kakko played in the NHL last year as a kid is pretty damn good. Not many come in and "just turn it on" as an 18/19 year old kid in this league. It's pretty rare. Those are the special guys.

You look at who is the front runners for the Calder from this past year. Quinn Hughes played last year as a 20 year old. Cale Makar as a 21 year old. Kakko and JHughes played as 18 year olds.

My point being, just because JHughes and Kakko didn't come out with guns a blazing doesn't mean you need to write them off. There's very few kids who come in and dominate as 18 year olds. We could see similar struggles from Lafreniere, and I wont be surprised if we do. Fear not, there will be fresh meat to woo over in another years time and the Lafreniere frenzy will be a year old, and less exciting. Or, who knows, he could surprise us and still excite us. That's the fun part about fantasy and trading away proven for potential.

Good luck!
    Exactly what I meant, but written much better! Maybe the whiskey was affecting my output!
    20tm multicat salary keeper
    19 Active/6 Reserve/ 33 Minors
    3C/3LW/3RW/3SKT/6D/1G
    Skaters: G/A/PlusMinus/PIM/SOG/PPP/SHP/Hit/Blk/FOW/FO%
    Goalies: W/GAA/SV/SV%/SHO

Dobber Sports Padawan

I like Lafrenière, but have no issues saying both Kakko and Hughes hit very high double digits in points in the not too distant future. I'd say Hughes could be a high 90's and Kakko close to that. Laf will be good, but I've yet to see an expert call him generational. I'd still keep Laf based on the chance he ends up playing with other elite talent.
    Points only keeper. 12 Teams. No pos requirements. 18 skaters / 3 goalies (2 count for points.) G/A = 1 point each (includes goalies) Goalies = 1.5 for W / 4.5 for SO. Minors - 4 year protection. Prospects added during their draft year only. Undrafted = waivers.
    Skaters: Tolvanen,Jeannot,Drysdale,Benson,Sprong,Fantilli,H .Lindholm,T. Raddysh,K. Miller,Edvinsson,Roslovic,Sharangovich,McBain,Benn ett,Crouse, Luostarinen,Dube,Phillips
    Goalies: Gustavsson,Schmid,Vejmekla
    Minors: F.Pinelli,Beckman,Cossa,Nikkanen,Tieksola,Pashin,M cMichael,Konovalov,Svechkov,K.Johnson,Moore,Crista ll,Heidt,Ziemmer,Perron,Nadeau,Gulyayev,Wahlberg, Suniev,Tomasino,Khusnutdinov

Dobber Sports Apprentice

To switch gears a bit, would you trade Laf for Sheisty?

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    Depends on categories and positions started, and all that; if your league rewards goalies much more than a "normal" one, then you need to get those goalies. In a vacuum, I would keep Lafreniere, if only because forwards tend to be more predictable than goalies. If my team had garbage goalies and I had a good group of forwards, then I'd lean toward making the trade for Shestyorkin.

Dobber Sports Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    I wouldn't, and I love Shesterkin. Goalie gems are easier to find IMO. Land a Sorokin or Askarov if possible. Guys like Blackwood, Binnington, etc. come out of the woodwork and could be snagged. 1st overall--potentially elite--forwards like Lafreniere are harder to get.
    8-GM / WK-H2H
    Forwards: G=2, A=1, PP/SH= +1, GWG= +2, Shootout G=1, HT= +1
    D-Men/Captain: G=3/A=2
    Goalies: W=3, OTL=1, SO= +2, SV= .10

Start = 13F, 6D, 2G / Keep 44 (3G)
    Captain: Matthews
    (F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,
    Seider, Edvinsson, Jiricek, Korchinski, Mintyukov, Ceulemans, Hutson
    (G): Shesterkin, Demko, Vejmelka

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Thanks everyone! Repping where I can!

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by fungchen3 View Post
    I wouldn't, and I love Shesterkin. Goalie gems are easier to find IMO. Land a Sorokin or Askarov if possible. Guys like Blackwood, Binnington, etc. come out of the woodwork and could be snagged. 1st overall--potentially elite--forwards like Lafreniere are harder to get.
    LOL, my philosophy is the exact opposite. I find it a lot harder to find and acquire high end quality young goalies.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."