Thread: Question moving forward

Dobber Sports Initiate

Default Question moving forward

Hi everyone,

I need your advice, I'm in a 31 teams dynasty multi-cat (4 lines, 6 d-men, 1 goalie). I took control of a team about a year ago. It was a total wreak (my best forward was Dzingel and Burns and Subban as best defensemen) because the GM traded all of his first rounders for the past 5 years (2014-15-16-17-18) for scraps. So I decided to do a rebuild. My plan was/is to trade all my older guys for young d-men and picks (so I can draft forwards). The question is: Do I have enough young def to now draft only forward or should I use one of my pick to draft or trade for an other d-man (2020 class + Marino)?

My Under-23 D-men:
    Adam Fox
    Scott Perunovich
    Cal Foote
    Philippe Myers

Jack Rathbone
    Anttoni Honka

You can see my forward in my signature
    31 TEAMS keep all multi-cat (lot of them) dynasty
    Offensive stats : Goals, Assist , PPP, PPTOI, SOG...
    Defensive stats : PKTOI, BLKS, TakeAway, Giveaway...
    (basically best NHL player)

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Default Re: Question moving forward

My general take on things is that you probably want to spend some of your picks on non-forwards.

I'm in a 12 team multi-cat dynasty that rosters 75 players each, and we have a 5 round draft, so only 60 players get picked, but usually there will be some free agent grabbing right after, and of course, during the year. I took over a bad team two years ago, and my philosophy is to try not to allocate all my picks to just one position, especially since I had issues everywhere. If I go into a draft with 6 picks, I'd probably aim to draft 4 forwards, 1-2 D, and 0-1 goalie. Those numbers will be flexible, if I like forwards over the others available or if I trade a pick to get a non-forward.

If Marino is there, he'd be a nice grab for you, as he's got no wait time to be productive, and you don't have a real high pick. I'm kind of surprised he wasn't snagged off the wire, unless you don't have one.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by stevegamer View Post
    My general take on things is that you probably want to spend some of your picks on non-forwards.

I'm in a 12 team multi-cat dynasty that rosters 75 players each, and we have a 5 round draft, so only 60 players get picked, but usually there will be some free agent grabbing right after, and of course, during the year. I took over a bad team two years ago, and my philosophy is to try not to allocate all my picks to just one position, especially since I had issues everywhere. If I go into a draft with 6 picks, I'd probably aim to draft 4 forwards, 1-2 D, and 0-1 goalie. Those numbers will be flexible, if I like forwards over the others available or if I trade a pick to get a non-forward.

If Marino is there, he'd be a nice grab for you, as he's got no wait time to be productive, and you don't have a real high pick. I'm kind of surprised he wasn't snagged off the wire, unless you don't have one.
    I was talking about the first round #14#16#24 but I understand your point.

IDK if he's going to going to be available at my spot. Our draft rules is:You can draft every players of the 2020 class drafted in the first 5 rounds. If a player is not drafted in the first 5 rounds you have to wait until he plays his first NHL games to be drafted. For example, this year Marino, Kubalik, Gusev, Mikheyev, Gavrikov are available
    31 TEAMS keep all multi-cat (lot of them) dynasty
    Offensive stats : Goals, Assist , PPP, PPTOI, SOG...
    Defensive stats : PKTOI, BLKS, TakeAway, Giveaway...
    (basically best NHL player)

Dobber Sports Legend

PP,

What is your timeline? Outside of Fox--and P.Myers to an extent--your D core is on Project Island. Perunovich is a nice kid but the Blues are deep on D. Like Honka too, but no automatic.
    If you are stressing patience and your timetable is 3-4 years out before making waves--I would swing for the fences with risk/reward D in the draft. Kids like N.Lundkvist and Zac Jones in NY (if available).
    I'm sure guys like Seider and York are snagged already? Addison is another nice one but I hate that he's Minny property now--YUCK.
    8-GM / WK-H2H
    Forwards: G=2, A=1, PP/SH= +1, GWG= +2, Shootout G=1, HT= +1
    D-Men/Captain: G=3/A=2
    Goalies: W=3, OTL=1, SO= +2, SV= .10

Start = 13F, 6D, 2G / Keep 44 (3G)
    Captain: Matthews
    (F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,
    Seider, Edvinsson, Jiricek, Korchinski, Mintyukov, Ceulemans, Hutson
    (G): Shesterkin, Demko, Vejmelka

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by fungchen3 View Post
    PP,

What is your timeline? Outside of Fox--and P.Myers to an extent--your D core is on Project Island. Perunovich is a nice kid but the Blues are deep on D. Like Honka too, but no automatic.
    If you are stressing patience and your timetable is 3-4 years out before making waves--I would swing for the fences with risk/reward D in the draft. Kids like N.Lundkvist and Zac Jones in NY (if available).
    I'm sure guys like Seider and York are snagged already? Addison is another nice one but I hate that he's Minny property now--YUCK.
    I'm agreed with this, your D is simply not strong enough to consider it re built. So to answer your question, no you do not have enough high quality young D to justify just drafting forwards. The question here is quality, not quantity.
    14 Team Roto; Keep 25; 12 F, 6 D, 2 G; 10 Farm; 5 Bench; 5 IR;

Salary Cap - 102.5 Mil

Scoring Cats: G, A, Pts, PIM, Hits, BS, SOG, F Points, D Points; Win+Ties+SO, GAA, SV%

Keepers

F: Aho, Larkin, DeBrincat, Vrana, Bennett, Scheifele, Kakko,Tolvanen, McBain,

D: Heiskanen, Fox, Toews, Lundqvist

G: Swayman, Andersen, Copley

Drops

F: Gaudreau, Terravainen, Puljujarvi, Kravstov, Zary

D: Brannstrom, Cernak, Alexeyev

G: Korpisalo, Merzlikins

FARM: Rossi, Berggren, Holtz, Savoie, Clarke, Tarasov, Wolf