Thread: Goalie value in a points only keeper

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Default Goalie value in a points only keeper

I want your thoughts on a trend that I find hard to explain in my second league (not in the sig. but it's almost the same format : 10 team keep all but you only get to start one goalie each week (W = 2pts + SO = 3pts)). Goalies have a pretty low value on the market. For example, Shesterkin got traded yesterday for the 10th overall pick, which to me is nonsense. Sure, some guys that weren't drafted last year will be available, but no way you're getting equal value from the get go. Earlier this year, Hart was traded for a similar return. So I'm scratching my head a little bit. What am I missing? I've never seen so little love for keepers! And just so you know, my starting goaltender is Vasilevsky.
    12 teams - points only, keep all

20 players ( 8 FWD - 4 DEF - 2 GK + BENCH)

FWD
    Kucherov
    Kuznetsov
    Crosby
    Kane
    Lindholm
    Aho
    J.Hughes
    Landeskog

DEF
    Hamilton, Jones, Montour, Letang

G
    Markstrom, Grubauer

BENCH
    Glass, Gustafsson, Tolvanen, Andersson, Levi

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Default Re: Goalie value in a points only keeper

Let's say a goalie gets 35 wins and 4 SO, that makes him a 82 point player. How good is that?

Take the 18-19 season: Top 10 goalie points ranged from 101-72 (101,94,90,82,81,75,75,74,73,72) then the next 10 went from 70-60. However, the #6 goalie had only 75 points, and the #20 goalie had 60.

Starting one goalie makes them less important. Starting weekly makes them less important. So your league is treating them as a spot where there are few difference makers, and a bunch of interchangeable guys. And that's right with that format.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

It's also a 10tm league with 1 goalie start per week. I doubt most teams even roster more than 1 G, unless they have a 1A/1B situation. If you have one Bonafide starter, most NHL teams play usually a minimum of 3 games a week, sometimes 4 games a week. So, your goalie will get you 2-3 starts. No need to roster more. I bet you have decent goalies on the WW. A 20tm league or a 10tm league with 2 goalies would be a different story.
    20tm multicat salary keeper
    19 Active/6 Reserve/ 33 Minors
    3C/3LW/3RW/3SKT/6D/1G
    Skaters: G/A/PlusMinus/PIM/SOG/PPP/SHP/Hit/Blk/FOW/FO%
    Goalies: W/GAA/SV/SV%/SHO

Dobber Sports Ace

Seems like your league should figure out a way to reward good goalie performances better. There just isn't much advantage in reaching or protecting the best goalies if the 15th best goalie is in the ball park for fantasy points.
    10 Team H2H Points (Keep 1C, 2W, 2D, 1G, & 1 non-goalie):
    G,A,+/-, PIM, PPG, SHG, GWG, OTG, FOWs, Hits, Blks, Maj, Mis, (bonus scoring for D-men makes them comparable to Wing)
    Wins, Saves, GA, Shutouts

18 Man Roster (3 IR slots) Daily Start: 2C, 4W, 4D, 2G

C: Zibanejad, Thomas, Tavares
    W: Stutzle, Robertson, Connor, Buchnevich, McCann
    D: Makar, McAvoy, Josi, Theodore, Matheson, Harley
    G: Georgiev, Binnington, Kochetkov, Andersen (IR)