Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Seth Jones vs Roman Josi

Dobber Sports Icon

Default Re: Seth Jones vs Roman Josi

We have to protect any asset we want to keep for our expansion draft so that includes players, prospects even 2020 draft picks. Every team is going to lose 7 skaters and 1 goalie so my thought process is to try to get as many player's as possible before the expansion draft.

In 2018/19 Roman Josi had 400.5 points while Seth Jones had 338.5 points. 4.88 points per game compared to 4.51 points per game. Comparing them on a dollar per point earned last season (but using next year's salary), Josi would have cost $21,724 per point while Jones would have cose $21,730 per point. Identical numbers but Jones played 13 less games. And I think that Jones is going to be better next year than last and I think Josi is going to be next year than last.

The way I look at this deal, I would be replacing Roman Josi, Yanni Gourde and Richard Panik with Seth Jones, Jamie Benn and Brandon Tanev. Using last year's stats I lose 777 points but I would gain 873 points. I also think that Josi won't be as good as last year but Gourde, Jones and Benn will all be better.

I would also get to keep my 27th and 28th best players instead of my 28th and 29th in the expansion draft as I would be adding one more name to my roster.

Am I misreading something or is my logic sound?
    Last edited by chuckcouples; July 2, 2020 at 12:01 AM. Reason: Spelling Error

Dobber Sports Ace

I'd be reexamining the Tanev angle. Looks like you're comfortable with the Josi for Jones part.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by chuckcouples View Post
    We have to protect any asset we want to keep for our expansion draft so that includes players, prospects even 2020 draft picks. Every team is going to lose 7 skaters and 1 goalie so my thought process is to try to get as many player's as possible before the expansion draft.

In 2018/19 Roman Josi had 400.5 points while Seth Jones had 338.5 points. 4.88 points per game compared to 4.51 points per game. Comparing them on a dollar per point earned last season (but using next year's salary), Josi would have cost $21,724 per point while Jones would have cost $21,730 per point. Identical numbers but Jones played 13 less games. And I think that Jones is going to be better next year than last and I think Josi is going to be next year than last.

The way I look at this deal, I would be replacing Roman Josi, Yanni Gourde and Richard Panik with Seth Jones, Jamie Benn and Brandon Tanev. Using last year's stats I lose 777 points but I would gain 873 points. I also think that Josi won't be as good as last year but Gourde, Jones and Benn will all be better.

I would also get to keep my 27th and 28th best players instead of my 28th and 29th in the expansion draft as I would be adding one more name to my roster.

Am I misreading something or is my logic sound?
    I think the logic here is sound IF you are allowed to exceed roster limits in the offseason, or at least until expansion draft is complete.

What you are doing is gaining an extra unprotected skater coming back to your team by getting an extra player in return as a 2 for 1. You'll protect Jones instead of Josi, let one extra player dangle, and then be up 1 player on the rest of the teams (and 2 over the team making this deal) assuming FA is closed and roster limits aren't enforced. Double check your expansion rules to make sure it's legal.

Would you protect Tanev?

How many 2020 draft pick slots are your protecting? You could also aim for a late pick instead of (or in addition to) a player, which an expansion team in unlikely to grab.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Icon

There are no roster limits right now.

My current protection list would include Tanev and I am leaving one spot open for the guy I pick with the 12th overall entry draft pick. I have no intention to protect any of the guys I get with my 2nd - 5th round entry draft picks unless there are more people available in the draft then I am aware of. My understanding is that only the 2020 Central Scouting ranked players are available in our entry draft.

The other GM in these trade talks has just offered me Timo Meier and Nick Ritchie for my Nazem Kadri and Zack MacEwen. If I combined the deals would this be a good trade for me:

Give up: Roman Josi, Nazem Kadri, Zack MacEwen
    Recieve: Seth Jones, Timo Meier, Brandon Tanev, Nick Ritchie

I would not be protecting MacEwen or Ritchie in the expansion draft so they would likely both be picked up.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I think that would be good. I had to look up MacEwen. He seems like he might become a solid player, but he's probably somebody that you'd be losing in expansion anyway.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Icon

Deal was made.

I received Seth Jones, Timo Meier, Brandon Tanev, Rasmus Asplund
    I gave up Roman Josi, Nazem Kadri, Zack MacEwen.

Thank you all for your help with this.

Dobber Sports Legend

I think Josi is going to be a 62-67 point player and Jones a 52-57 point player next year.
    And I still don't think we've seen the best from Jones yet. But Josi will be a monster for a few more years for sure.
    8-GM / WK-H2H
    Forwards: G=2, A=1, PP/SH= +1, GWG= +2, Shootout G=1, HT= +1
    D-Men/Captain: G=3/A=2
    Goalies: W=3, OTL=1, SO= +2, SV= .10

Start = 13F, 6D, 2G / Keep 44 (3G)
    Captain: Matthews
    (F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,
    Seider, Edvinsson, Jiricek, Korchinski, Mintyukov, Ceulemans, Hutson
    (G): Shesterkin, Demko, Vejmelka