Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Critique These New Keeper League Rules - REP Left

Dobber Sports Pro

Question Critique These New Keeper League Rules - REP Left

How do these look? Anything insane or glaring that should be changed? (I know the goalie goal/assist thing is crazy but it'll be rare and also hilarious).

1. Cost: $50 - Must be paid BEFORE season begins.
    2. Winnings: Money to top three (depending on # of teams) with 3rd getting their money back, tie-breaker is PPG.
    3. Format: Active - 2 LW, 2 C, 2 RW, 2 D, 2 G, Bench - 5 spots, IR(+) - 2 spots
    4. Action: Daily Starts, 10 FA pickups per year, 5 keepers (set one week before draft), unlimited trades, trade freeze: end of regular season to one month before start of next season.
    5. Scoring: Goals: 2, Assists: 1, Wins: 3, Shutouts: 2, Goalie Goals: 20, Goalie Assists: 5.
    6. Draft Picks: a weighted lottery (from a hat) whose results stay for every round. Most slips for last place, one less for second last, all the way down to one slip for first place.
    7. Draft Night: GM’s MUST attend in person or send someone in their place. If they cannot, they must submit a list to the commissioner which will only be consulted when it is time to pick. Order will be followed until you have 3 of a position. Any spots needed beyond your list will come from Yahoo rankings.
    8. Engagement: ALL trade offers must be responded to within 3 days or they will be deemed accepted (unless ridiculous as decided by co-commissioners).
    9. Trades must involve even number of draft picks. You can never trade away so many players that you have empty spots on your team (after FA pickups).
    10. First ever draft: snake draft (reverse order every second round), draft order is chosen from a hat.

Edits:

1. Draft Night: GM’s MUST attend in person, video call in (likely via Zoom), or send someone in their place. If they cannot, they must submit a list to the commissioner which will only be consulted when it is time to pick. Order will be followed until you have 3 of a position. Any spots needed beyond your list will come from Yahoo rankings.
    2. Engagement: ALL trade offers must be responded to within 3 days or the offending GM must give a one round upgrade to the offering GM (lowest possible swap). First time offenders (per season) will be given one warning.
    12 Team Keep 6: G/A:1 W/SO:2
    C - McDavid, Matthews, Schiefele
    LW - Draisaitl, Fiala, Meier
    RW - ​​Marner, Barzal, Zuccarello
    D - Dahlin, Morrissey, Dunn, Matheson
    G - Skinner
    B - Marchessault, Caufield, Teravainen, McCann, Montour, Jones, Saros

12 Team Keep 10 (& 5 Minors)
    : G/A/OTL:1 W:2 SO:3
    '24 Picks (16 Rounds) - 1,1,1,1,1,2,2,3,3,3,5,5,6,6
    F - ​McDavid, Rantanen, Point, Aho, Nylander, M. Tkachuk, Guentzel, MacKinnon, Pavelski, Duchene, Farabee, Henrique
    D - Bouchard, Dobson, Matheson, Andersson, Letang
    G - Vasilevskiy, Markstrom
    B - Joseph, Schenn, Nyqvist, Roslovic, Duclair, S. Jones, Korpisalo, Quick, Rittich
    M - Cooley, Michkov, Rossi, Hutson, Mateychuk

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Default Re: Critique These New Keeper League Rules - REP Left

Engagement: ALL trade offers must be responded to within 3 days or they will be deemed accepted (unless ridiculous as decided by co-commissioners).
    As long as there is an additional rule that if an owner notifies the commish that he is gone camping in the woods for one week and this supersedes the rule.

If not and the Crosby owner finds out that the McDavid owner is gone on a Cruise without Wi-Fi and decides to offer him Crosby plus Prospect for McDavid... the trade offer is not rediculous... but it is likely that the McDavid owner is going to keep McDavid.

Other than that, I think that the rules look good.

I would also implement one of these two rules to prevent teams from trading away all their picks.

9A) - If you trade future year draft picks you must pay the entry fee for that future year. (this should prevent someone from trading away too many future picks with no intention of coming back the next year)

OR

9B) - You can only trade only the following season's draft picks and can't trade numerous years out.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Are you sure you want to include G assists and G goals? These cats are even more random than short handed points and usually not well liked among fantasy GMs. It simply sucks to lose a week because your opponent gets one of these (if it's H2H at all - I couldn't find that information)
    24 team H2H dynasty, fantasy points, no cap
    Skaters: G 4.5 (5 for Ds), A 3, PPG 1.5 (2 for Ds), PPA 1 (1.5 for Ds), SHP 2, Ft 2, HIT 0.6, BLK 0.6, SOG 0.3 (0.4 for Ds), FW 0.1, Tk 0.5 // Gv -0.3
    Goalies: W 3.5, SHO 5, SV 0.5, A 3 // GA -3, L -1.5
    4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 2G, 4BN, 4IR

C: McDavid, MacKinnon, Hischier
    LW: B.Tkachuk, Ovechkin, Paul(C), Jones
    LW/RW: Meier, Fiala, Giroux(C), Niederreiter
    RW: Reinhart, Anderson
    D: Josi, Matheson, Durzi, Moser, Cernak, Zadorov, Siegenthaler
    G: Daccord, Merzlikins, Vanecek, Pickard

44 minors; most noteables: A.Schmid, E.Andrae, M.Kesselring, S.Malinski, B.Pachal, L.Bichsel, E.Soderblom,...

Dobber Sports Master

Engagement: ALL trade offers must be responded to within 3 days or they will be deemed accepted

thats a first.

The Great One

Start 2D and 2G? Really?

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Yeah, deeming unanswered trade proposals as accepted after 3 days seems kind of harsh, but I can see where the commish is coming from with that rule. It should either educate the GMs quickly or destroy the league quickly.
    24 team H2H dynasty, fantasy points, no cap
    Skaters: G 4.5 (5 for Ds), A 3, PPG 1.5 (2 for Ds), PPA 1 (1.5 for Ds), SHP 2, Ft 2, HIT 0.6, BLK 0.6, SOG 0.3 (0.4 for Ds), FW 0.1, Tk 0.5 // Gv -0.3
    Goalies: W 3.5, SHO 5, SV 0.5, A 3 // GA -3, L -1.5
    4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 2G, 4BN, 4IR

C: McDavid, MacKinnon, Hischier
    LW: B.Tkachuk, Ovechkin, Paul(C), Jones
    LW/RW: Meier, Fiala, Giroux(C), Niederreiter
    RW: Reinhart, Anderson
    D: Josi, Matheson, Durzi, Moser, Cernak, Zadorov, Siegenthaler
    G: Daccord, Merzlikins, Vanecek, Pickard

44 minors; most noteables: A.Schmid, E.Andrae, M.Kesselring, S.Malinski, B.Pachal, L.Bichsel, E.Soderblom,...

Dobber Sports Star

The trade after 3 days rule is insane. This plus the requirement to attend the draft in person or else be subject to a list suggests a league of people who do not have obligations in their lives. If you're looking to make a keeper league that lasts, you'll need to recognize that owners may move cities, may get different jobs, may have kids, may get sick, etc. Otherwise, you're constructing a revolving door for owners to flit in and out of the league as their lives change. I've been in both and the richer experience is the league where most everyone stays in it because it is fun and easy to stay in. Leagues that are harsh are less fun and wither away, unless the league exists mainly for one person to exert his will upon others for pleasure.

Also, start at least 3 D and you'll want to figure out the lottery weighting before the league begins.

Dobber Sports Pro

Thanks for all this, folks! Noted, and changes will be made. This was just a first draft and it was super helpful to hear these perspectives. Rep left to all!
    G - Skinner

F - ​McDavid, Rantanen, Point, Aho, Nylander, M. Tkachuk, Guentzel, MacKinnon, Pavelski, Duchene, Farabee, Henrique
    B - Joseph, Schenn, Nyqvist, Roslovic, Duclair, S. Jones, Korpisalo, Quick, Rittich

Dobber Sports Titan

I agree with 3 D, getting rid of the goalie points, and finding a different way to keep people on top of trade offers.

I would also say money paid by a deadline maybe two weeks before the season. That way you have time to find a replacement GM before the season starts if someone doesn't pay and bails.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Sage

2 D seemed a little low. 6 forwards and 2 D- think I would go 3 D.

Goalie goals and assists- I wouldn't want them in my league but that's me.

I don't like the fact that you cannot make lopsided trades. If it's a lopsided trade then the team can add a free agent. That gets factored into the trade.

Mandatory in-person draft- I know with my group of friends that would be extremely difficult. Would you allow someone to Zoom or Google Meet if it is difficult to attend?

These are just my preferences. Good luck with your league.
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    I agree with 3 D, getting rid of the goalie points, and finding a different way to keep people on top of trade offers.

I would also say money paid by a deadline maybe two weeks before the season. That way you have time to find a replacement GM before the season starts if someone doesn't pay and bails.
    Thanks! What are some ways you've seen succeed in keeping GM's responsive to trade offers and chat? I just had the less hardcore idea of the non-responsive GM giving the lowest possible one round pick upgrade to the offering GM. How is that?
    G - Skinner

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Cost: If it's a real money league (not just to cover fees, or something like $5 + fees) you need an earlier deadline. I'd put it two weeks out.

Format: Needs another D, I think.

Scoring: I think that you should keep goalie goals & assists, but simply weight them less - counting them the same as regular goals & assists shouldn't piss anyone off, you should be able to weight them more since there any many leagues that give D a boost, and it's not like those assists and the fluke goal don't count in the actual game.

Draft night: You fixed the dumbest thing you had which required in-person attendance, or someone in their stead. That's the equivalent of mandating the commissioner do all results by hand. From the newspaper. Maybe even without a calculator. You're posting on the internet, in an age where it is so easy to communicate. Allow technology to be used, especially in these times. Remote access, even by phone allows you to have people from different places.

Engagement: This means one simply needs an auto-reply to any emails that come for trades. If it requires something to be done on a website, it's pretty nuts.

I also don't like the lack of uneven deals.

All in all this is pretty harsh. I think this is the least interesting league setup I've ever seen. I would suggest covering excusable absences like accidents, illness, hospitalization, death, etc, but that's up to you. You do need to make this either less draconian or to make sure there is a rule by which the commissioner can be replaced fairly easily.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Pro

Sounds good! I appreciate all this. I'll bring it to the commish who wanted help getting this all set up.

Quote Originally Posted by stevegamer View Post
    Cost: If it's a real money league (not just to cover fees, or something like $5 + fees) you need an earlier deadline. I'd put it two weeks out.

Format: Needs another D, I think.

Scoring: I think that you should keep goalie goals & assists, but simply weight them less - counting them the same as regular goals & assists shouldn't piss anyone off, you should be able to weight them more since there any many leagues that give D a boost, and it's not like those assists and the fluke goal don't count in the actual game.

Draft night: You fixed the dumbest thing you had which required in-person attendance, or someone in their stead. That's the equivalent of mandating the commissioner do all results by hand. From the newspaper. Maybe even without a calculator. You're posting on the internet, in an age where it is so easy to communicate. Allow technology to be used, especially in these times. Remote access, even by phone allows you to have people from different places.

Engagement: This means one simply needs an auto-reply to any emails that come for trades. If it requires something to be done on a website, it's pretty nuts.

I also don't like the lack of uneven deals.

All in all this is pretty harsh. I think this is the least interesting league setup I've ever seen. I would suggest covering excusable absences like accidents, illness, hospitalization, death, etc, but that's up to you. You do need to make this either less draconian or to make sure there is a rule by which the commissioner can be replaced fairly easily.
    G - Skinner

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Svbetts View Post
    Thanks! What are some ways you've seen succeed in keeping GM's responsive to trade offers and chat? I just had the less hardcore idea of the non-responsive GM giving the lowest possible one round pick upgrade to the offering GM. How is that?
    I don't like it either. This league is trying to be too much of a dictatorship with how the GMs act on all the rules. The best way to have an active and fun league is to make sure they're all quality GMs. That's all you need. Other that that, the more restrictions you put on, the more frustrating things are going to be.
    I personally wouldn't want to join a league with this many little nitpicky overbearing rules.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    I don't like it either. This league is trying to be too much of a dictatorship with how the GMs act on all the rules. The best way to have an active and fun league is to make sure they're all quality GMs. That's all you need. Other that that, the more restrictions you put on, the more frustrating things are going to be.
    I personally wouldn't want to join a league with this many little nitpicky overbearing rules.
    EB is right - you need the league to be fun, need to find good managers. I like having a live draft, but you need the option of technology as life gets in the way. People may be away for work when you want to have draft and it is hard to pick date if people cant make that weekend. You need to decide how many in league, get a group of core buddies. Also I don't like being able to trade next years draft pick if you aren't committed - paid up for the next year . BEST advice is to get a good core of owners and decide on format of rules, as you want the league to go on from year to year without too many people leaving each year.
    Piranha Hockey League est 1990 - Oakley Doakley's - 16 teams
    Pts only W=2 OL=1 SO=3 Auction Draft

WHL - est 2016 Expansion - Glasgow Kiss - 24 teams
    25 pro players / 10 minor league players
    G,A,+/-,PPP,SOG,Hits,Blk,PIM,FOW, W,Sv,GA,SHO