Thread: 2020 Mock Draft

Dobber Sports Wizard

Default 2020 Mock Draft

I did a mock draft for the first three rounds (93 picks) with team-by-team breakdowns for the most interesting teams and their selections.

>> https://dobberprospects.com/nevalainen-2020-mock-draft/

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Re: 2020 Mock Draft

Dear god, I hope Montreal doesn't win the lottery. LOL!
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Dear god, I hope Montreal doesn't win the lottery. LOL!
    Either way, it's going to be a team that doesn't "deserve" it. Montreal is the most deserving among that group IMO. They had the worst record and they also didn't get to host the event because of COVID-19.

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko-Pouko View Post
    Either way, it's going to be a team that doesn't "deserve" it. Montreal is the most deserving among that group IMO. They had the worst record and they also didn't get to host the event because of COVID-19.
    While those points are accurate, I just dont like the way Claude Julien develops young players.

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

The Great One

I don't get the appeal of being able to host this format.....

Dobber Sports Padawan

Just curious, but why are right shot D men so valuable? I honestly don't know haha!
    Points only keeper. 12 Teams. No pos requirements. 18 skaters / 3 goalies (2 count for points.) G/A = 1 point each (includes goalies) Goalies = 1.5 for W / 4.5 for SO. Minors - 4 year protection. Prospects added during their draft year only. Undrafted = waivers.
    Skaters: Tolvanen,Jeannot,Drysdale,Benson,Sprong,Fantilli,H .Lindholm,T. Raddysh,K. Miller,Edvinsson,Roslovic,Sharangovich,McBain,Benn ett,Crouse, Luostarinen,Dube,Phillips
    Goalies: Gustavsson,Schmid,Vejmekla
    Minors: F.Pinelli,Beckman,Cossa,Nikkanen,Tieksola,Pashin,M cMichael,Konovalov,Svechkov,K.Johnson,Moore,Crista ll,Heidt,Ziemmer,Perron,Nadeau,Gulyayev,Wahlberg, Suniev,Tomasino,Khusnutdinov

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Mike's Lemons View Post
    Just curious, but why are right shot D men so valuable? I honestly don't know haha!
    The main reason is that more players shoot left (over 60%, I think) so right-shooting d-men are harder to find. Also, teams tend to not like their d-men to play on their offside so they look for righties. There are many left-shooting d-men who play well on the right side though. The exception is on the powerplay, where teams who play with two d-men like to have them on their off-sides to get a better shooting lane.

Dobber Sports Pro

Nice work, Jokke. I've read that Ottawa might take a d-man at the #5 spot, but can they really pass up on taking another elite forward? Also, given that they already have Zegras, would Anaheim really take Raymond over a shooter like Holtz? I've also read that they are looking at one of the two top d-men.

I like your logic with the Jets taking Quinn over a d-man, but I'm not sure that will happen in the real world, lol.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    While those points are accurate, I just dont like the way Claude Julien develops young players.
    Lafreniere doesn't really need any developing by him. He's ready to jump into an NHL top line right away, he's not someone who needs to start on the 3rd line and slowly work his way up from there.

Dobber Sports Deity

Lafreniere doesn't really need any developing by him. He's ready to jump into an NHL top line right away, he's not someone who needs to start on the 3rd line and slowly work his way up from there.
    Never underestimate the ability of a coach to knock down the value of a player.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Shift Disturber View Post
    Nice work, Jokke. I've read that Ottawa might take a d-man at the #5 spot, but can they really pass up on taking another elite forward? Also, given that they already have Zegras, would Anaheim really take Raymond over a shooter like Holtz? I've also read that they are looking at one of the two top d-men.

I like your logic with the Jets taking Quinn over a d-man, but I'm not sure that will happen in the real world, lol.
    I think they can pass up on taking a forward at 5. They don't have a RHD who projects to be a top pair guy in their system. Drysdale can be that guy for them.

I just think Raymond is the superior talent compared to Holtz, and NHL scouts seem to agree with that as well. Raymond can put up 30+ goals if he plays with Zegras. And maybe playing with someone like Raymond forces Zegras to become more of a dual threat as well, making him even more dangerous offensively. It's not really really a good idea to have guys who only set up plays or only shoot, it's better to have them doing both - even though they all have some sort of a preference. Malkin is a playmaker but he put up 50 goals that one season.

Every team wants defensemen, that's why Drysdale and Sanderson will go quickly and I think we'll see guys like Guhle, Schneider and others go higher than what most fans expect.

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Great list!! I love prognostic analysis!!

The Jets actually need to fill their forward prospect pool.. They already have Heinola, Samberg, and Chisolm in their d-ranks.. I have never agreed with them taking a dman in the first round of 2020.. I like your prediction of the Jets taking a forward..
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Hi Jokke

What is the reasoning behind Wallinder being taken earlier then Grans on your mock draft? On twitter a few weeks back you commented that Grans should be taken above Wallinder and it sounds like they are similar type of players. Does Wallinder just fit the Capitals system better than Grans?

Thanks

I did a mock draft for the first three rounds (93 picks) with team-by-team breakdowns for the most interesting teams and their selections.

>> https://dobberprospects.com/nevalainen-2020-mock-draft/

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by MCARTER82 View Post
    Hi Jokke

What is the reasoning behind Wallinder being taken earlier then Grans on your mock draft? On twitter a few weeks back you commented that Grans should be taken above Wallinder and it sounds like they are similar type of players. Does Wallinder just fit the Capitals system better than Grans?

Thanks
    A mock draft is not the same thing as a ranking. A mock draft is what I'm expecting NHL teams to do, a ranking is what I would personally do. Wallinder was ranked higher on Bob's list.

Dobber Sports Icon

That's a lot of work. Well done.

I am going to go out on a limb and say that Lukas Reichel does not make it past pick 12 in the draft.