Thread: Turcotte vs 1.05 rookie pick

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Turcotte vs 1.05 rookie pick

Who would rather? The prospect pick at 5 overall or Turcotte straight up?

16 team dynasty H2H
    G A PTS SOG HTS BLKS FOW TOI

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Re: Turcotte vs 1.05 rookie pick

I think there was a thread asking a similar question not to long ago.

Where was Turcotte drafted lasted year in your fantasy league? Top five more than likely. Sounds to me like someone is more interested in drafting than waiting for their current prospects to develop.

To he honest, if Turcotte was available this year, I'd bet he'd be a top five pick. I'd probably go with Turcotte.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Padawan

I like Turcotte, personally.
    Points only keeper. 12 Teams. No pos requirements. 18 skaters / 3 goalies (2 count for points.) G/A = 1 point each (includes goalies) Goalies = 1.5 for W / 4.5 for SO. Minors - 4 year protection. Prospects added during their draft year only. Undrafted = waivers.
    Skaters: Tolvanen,Jeannot,Drysdale,Benson,Sprong,Fantilli,H .Lindholm,T. Raddysh,K. Miller,Edvinsson,Roslovic,Sharangovich,McBain,Benn ett,Crouse, Luostarinen,Dube,Phillips
    Goalies: Gustavsson,Schmid,Vejmekla
    Minors: F.Pinelli,Beckman,Cossa,Nikkanen,Tieksola,Pashin,M cMichael,Konovalov,Svechkov,K.Johnson,Moore,Crista ll,Heidt,Ziemmer,Perron,Nadeau,Gulyayev,Wahlberg, Suniev,Tomasino,Khusnutdinov

Administrator

This is sounding a lot like the treadmill of mediocrity. Trading a prospect after a bit of a down year, for a prospect who is a year further away. Maybe Turcotte is a flop or a bust, but it just feels like he's in a bit of a down cycle. I'd rather have the guy who went #5, is a year further along and already going pro than the guy at #5 this year, who could be in this same spot a year from now and you could be asking this same question.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by metaldude26 View Post
    This is sounding a lot like the treadmill of mediocrity. Trading a prospect after a bit of a down year, for a prospect who is a year further away. Maybe Turcotte is a flop or a bust, but it just feels like he's in a bit of a down cycle. I'd rather have the guy who went #5, is a year further along and already going pro than the guy at #5 this year, who could be in this same spot a year from now and you could be asking this same question.
    I'd be the one giving up the pick...

I figure two things: 1) He should be a year further along in his development and B) everyone wants the shiney new toy (pick/propsect) and typically the best time to buy a prospect is the year prior to them being drafted because they "havent done anything yet"

I'm a big fan of him and a stud Centre in this format can be an anchor to your team

- - - Updated - - -

So that being said, where would you guys rank him if he was in this year's draft class?

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by kingpin_co View Post
    I'd be the one giving up the pick...

I figure two things: 1) He should be a year further along in his development and B) everyone wants the shiney new toy (pick/propsect) and typically the best time to buy a prospect is the year prior to them being drafted because they "havent done anything yet"

I'm a big fan of him and a stud Centre in this format can be an anchor to your team

- - - Updated - - -

So that being said, where would you guys rank him if he was in this year's draft class?
    Oh, in that case slot your opponent onto the treadmill!

He'd be in the 3-4 range for me. Would trade for Byfield or Lafreniere, not sure about anyone else. But I gotta say that the Dobber Guide is the best answer for this.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by metaldude26 View Post
    Oh, in that case slot your opponent onto the treadmill!

He'd be in the 3-4 range for me. Would trade for Byfield or Lafreniere, not sure about anyone else. But I gotta say that the Dobber Guide is the best answer for this.
    Thanks Steve.

And I'm a loyal Guide customer every year!

FWIW and Axeman asked as well, he was taken at pick 4 in our draft last year... so that's a bit more perspective I suppose

Dobber Sports Stud

I would probably wait and see if you can? You might rather have the pick if Byfield is selected by the Kings, which is not just long term but even short term competition at C for Turcotte. If they take Stutzle (or a winger or D) maybe you stick with Turcotte as Stutzle might end up being a winger or might take a bit longer to be NHL ready which could give Turcotte a head start? Just a thought. It’s tight, no question.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

LA depth at C is off the charts.

If Vilardi improves, Turcote might not have all the opportunities

LA depth chart at C: Turcotte, Akil Thomas, Kupari, Tyler Madden and BYFIELD if they pick him at 2nd..

thats a lot of C. Add Vilardi who did well last year and maybe they won't even have a place for Turcotte this year or next.
    Keep 6 - 14 team H2H Yahoo - Categories: G A P +/- PIM PPP SOG FW HIT BLK / GS W GAA SV% SHO
    C: T.Thompson, Aho
    LW: B.Tkachuk, M. Tkachuk
    RW:
    D: Dahlin, Fox, Mcavoy
    G:

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by snowball View Post
    LA depth at C is off the charts.

If Vilardi improves, Turcote might not have all the opportunities

LA depth chart at C: Turcotte, Akil Thomas, Kupari, Tyler Madden and BYFIELD if they pick him at 2nd..

thats a lot of C. Add Vilardi who did well last year and maybe they won't even have a place for Turcotte this year or next.
    It's a lot easier to move a center to the wing than trying to find high end centers out there.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Very good points... could be a logjam ... I would ideally like a 1C with this particular asset

I think maybe the best play is to wait for the actual and fantasy draft and see where players fall... sometimes you can get a greater return when you're on the clock...

That being said, a C like Rossi intrigues me... how does he compare to Turcotte?

Dobber Sports Sophomore

I've seen Rossi play a lot last year and to me, he's a superstar in the making. I would not hesitate to draft him instead of trading the pick for Turcotte. When we'll know for sure the landing spots of the top 5, maybe your decision will get easier. Good luck!
    12 teams - points only, keep all

20 players ( 8 FWD - 4 DEF - 2 GK + BENCH)

FWD
    Kucherov
    Kuznetsov
    Crosby
    Kane
    Lindholm
    Aho
    J.Hughes
    Landeskog

DEF
    Hamilton, Jones, Montour, Letang

G
    Markstrom, Grubauer

BENCH
    Glass, Gustafsson, Tolvanen, Andersson, Levi

Dobber Sports Guru

Top NHL forward prospects don't need to worry about a logjam. They'll find a spot for him or they'll use him (or another player) to deal for a need. If he's ready to produce in the NHL, he'll be there. Logjams impact goalies and depth players. They didn't draft him 5th overall to waste him. When he's ready, he's in the lineup and getting opportunities IMO. If anything, these guys get rushed, so having depth around him is a good sign that won't happen.
    Points-only, Full Keeper Dynasty League
    Active roster (no starts, just total points): 12 FW, 6 D, 1 Goalie

Forwards: Kucherov, Barkov, Teravainen, Seguin, Hoffman, Lindholm, Gusev, Horvat, Meier, Perron, Schwartz, Johansen, Pavelski, Buchnevich, Hischier, Granlund, Bracco

Defense: Josi, Dahlin, Letang, Gostisbehere, Ekman-Larsson, Petry, Slavin, Keith, Matheson

Goal: Lehner, Holtby, Varlamov

Farm: Soderstrom, York, Woo, Tracey, Dorofeyev