Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Grunge music thread

The Wolverine

Default Grunge music thread

First of all, I know that the term 'grunge' can mean different things to different people. It could represent the common term for the period of music in the early to mid 90s, including popular bands such as Nirvana and Pearl Jam. To others it could represent more of a style, or fashion, or even attitude.

I don't want this thread to be a debate on what is grunge, rather I want this thread to cover the music, and what are your interests and/or experiences of this music. You don't even need to have been following the music at the time as it could be a more recent discovery. Hopefully we'll all gain some insight on the music during this period, and we might even discover something new that is shared amongst the group.

That said, I'll start it off with an overview on my interest and a recent (re)discovery:

I started becoming interested in music in the late 80s (not quite a teenager) so when the 90s came around music became a bigger part of my life. My two favourite bands at the time (and are still) were Faith No More and Nine Inch Nails. For those who don't know them well, they are quite unique in their style so I was quite open-minded in what music I would enjoy.

When bands such as Nirvana, Pearl Jam and Stone Temple Pilots came along, I was hooked. What a great time for music! So, I enjoyed all sorts of music, and Pearl Jam and STP in particular became some of my favourites alongside FNM and NIN. However, strangely two bands that weren't really on my radar, and have had a lot of success and popularity, were Soundgarden and Alice in Chains.

Over time that never changed. But only just a year ago, my wife found a grunge tribute band playing in Glasgow. We didn't know them at all and I was curious on how many songs I would recognise. Quite a few thankfully, but many I was completely unaware. One of those songs, the second in their set list, immediately grabbed both my wife's and my interest. Neither of us caught the name so after the gig we were trying to find out. We felt, given the way the singer changed his voice (he is pretty good being able to adapt to different singer's voices), I thought it might be Alice in Chains. After going through Youtube, we eventually recognised it: Man in the Box. I admit, I had never heard that song before but I know now that it's one of their most popular, and one of their early ones.

Starting to listen more to their back catalogue and I was hooked. I couldn't believe I never found more about them in the 90s but I guess hearing Rooster and No Excuses wasn't enough to grab my attention. Also, they didn't appear to have as much mainstream popularity as those other grunge bands. But the more I listened to, the more I realised how good that band was*, and the more I though Layne Staley was incredible, and with Jerry Cantrell they were amazing singing together. *I've heard a few of their most recent songs, with their current lead singer, William DuVall, but it's not quite the same as Layne.

Now I probably have most of their earlier music, and in a few short months following that first gig they went from not on my radar to one of my favourite bands.

Right, that was longer than expected. Over to you!

Dobber Sports Star

Default Re: Grunge music thread

Alice in Chains is probably my favourite band of all time and Layne Staley is probably who I would consider to be the greatest lead singer of all time. Chris Cornell comes in as a close second. They both have such unique and distinctive sounds. Facelift and Dirt are both brilliant albums cover to cover.

In March of 1991 I saw Nirvana live at a club called The Bronx in Edmonton There was probably less than 200 people there and Nevermind hasn’t been released yet. I had no idea who they were at the time.

Grunge is definitely one of my favourite types of music, even today.

Rylant

The Wolverine

Quote Originally Posted by Rylant View Post
    Alice in Chains is probably my favourite band of all time and Layne Staley is probably who I would consider to be the greatest lead singer of all time. Chris Cornell comes in as a close second. They both have such unique and distinctive sounds. Facelift and Dirt are both brilliant albums cover to cover.

In March of 1991 I saw Nirvana live at a club called The Bronx in Edmonton There was probably less than 200 people there and Nevermind hasn’t been released yet. I had no idea who they were at the time.

Grunge is definitely one of my favourite types of music, even today.

Rylant
    Excellent. I agree with you regarding Layne as a singer - he's incredible. Even on their Live Unplugged set, which was clear he was struggling given his drug issues.

Envious seeing Nirvana before they were big (or even at all).

I had a chance to see Alice in Chains last year shortly after that tribute gig but hesitated because I wasn't sure how good it'll be without Layne. But I regret it as it would have been a great show regardless. Hope they come back over here sometime.

Dobber Sports Sage

My sister is 4 years older than me and exposed me to all the hair bands of the 80s. Motley Crue was her favorite and she used to play their albums over and over. Naturally, I was a big fan of those bands and then Aerosmith and Guns and Roses as I entered high school. Nevermind was released when I was a junior and while everyone loved Smelled Like Teen Spirit, I still stuck to my hair band ways. My buddies were into Nirvana, NIN, New Order, The Cure, and REM so I was exposed to that music but wasn't really hooked. Then I bought Pearl Jam's Ten and that changed everything. It was so much better than everything I was listening to.

After being introduced to Pearl Jam, I gobbled up Nevermind, Incesticide, Pretty Hate Machine, and I started getting into the New Wave/Alternative music from the 80s. I still listen to Joy Division to this day. In Chicago we had a great alternative station that played all these bands. Smashing Pumpkins, Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Bush, and Candlebox were some other groups of that era that I enjoyed. I never really got into Soundgarden or Alice in Chains but my buddies played their music often. And then throughout the 90s I got into Radiohead, The Flaming Lips, Wilco, Whiskeytown, and other alternative country bands- not grunge but in the same ballpark.

I do regret not going to one of the first Lollapalooza concerts in 1992 that had Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, and Red Hot Chilli Peppers among others. I did see Nirvana in their last show in Chicago. They played a relatively small venue and I was able to squeeze my way to about 50 feet from the stage and watched the whole show. I actually found the concert on a Youtube a couple months ago. Great stuff.
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream Nation View Post
    My sister is 4 years older than me and exposed me to all the hair bands of the 80s. Motley Crue was her favorite and she used to play their albums over and over. Naturally, I was a big fan of those bands and then Aerosmith and Guns and Roses as I entered high school. Nevermind was released when I was a junior and while everyone loved Smelled Like Teen Spirit, I still stuck to my hair band ways. My buddies were into Nirvana, NIN, New Order, The Cure, and REM so I was exposed to that music but wasn't really hooked. Then I bought Pearl Jam's Ten and that changed everything. It was so much better than everything I was listening to.

After being introduced to Pearl Jam, I gobbled up Nevermind, Incesticide, Pretty Hate Machine, and I started getting into the New Wave/Alternative music from the 80s. I still listen to Joy Division to this day. In Chicago we had a great alternative station that played all these bands. Smashing Pumpkins, Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Bush, and Candlebox were some other groups of that era that I enjoyed. I never really got into Soundgarden or Alice in Chains but my buddies played their music often. And then throughout the 90s I got into Radiohead, The Flaming Lips, Wilco, Whiskeytown, and other alternative country bands- not grunge but in the same ballpark.

I do regret not going to one of the first Lollapalooza concerts in 1992 that had Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, and Red Hot Chilli Peppers among others. I did see Nirvana in their last show in Chicago. They played a relatively small venue and I was able to squeeze my way to about 50 feet from the stage and watched the whole show. I actually found the concert on a Youtube a couple months ago. Great stuff.
    As a teenager through the early 80s, hair metal was more my cup of tea for rock music. White Lion, Cinderella, Crue, Whitesnake and bands like that were some of my favorites. I just couldn't get into the grunge music. Don't know why but it just wasn't my cup of tea.

That being said, I was also country when country wasn't cool back in those days too.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Veteran

I was a bit late to the party, Cobain died when I was 9 and I didn't get into music until a few years later. A classmate I grew close with in Grade 6 played guitar and idolized Kurt. He showed me the Nirvana MTV Unplugged he has taped off MuchMusic and I fell in love with it. I asked my Dad to take me with him the next time he went into the city for CDs and that was my first album.

I devoured Alternative music for the next few years, going to Dr. Disc in Hamilton with my Dad periodically and taping whatever I could off 102.1fm. In high school a lot of my friends drifted to rap music and I tried to follow along but it never hooked me. I tried to bridge the gap by getting far too into rap-metal but that was an age where you're supposed to do stupid crap, like spend what little money you have on Limp Bizkit.

When I got my drivers license I started spending a lot more time with a new group of friends in Hamilton (still close with most of them) and my music taste and exploration vastly improved. We were all rock fans but everyone sort of had their own niche and our influences bled together nicely. I started to get into punk, metal, and classic rock more and more which led me back to my Nirvana CDs, which got me falling down the rabbit hole of grunge music. I got hugely into Pearl Jam and Soundgarden (and to a lesser extent Alice in Chains) which I never took to while younger. From there I started downloading anything grunge related I could find getting into bands like Mudhoney, Mother Love Bone, Tad, Mad Season, Screaming Trees... bands I love to this day (Thank you Singles soundtrack)

I'm actually reading former Screaming Trees singer Mark Lanegan's autobiography right now and have enjoyed what I've read so far, he's not putting himself or his past behaviour in a favourable light at all. He's long been my favourite artist. I bought his first solo CD because Cobain featured on it and was immediately hooked. I spent the next few years collecting his solo albums as well as ant Screaming Trees' work I could find. He's still releasing great music including 2 great albums so far this year.

Dobber Sports Pro

Rylant
    Oh man! If there was a concert that I could go back in time to see it would have been that Nirvana show at the Bronx! But even if I was living in Edmonton at the time, I'm not sure I would I would have paid much attention to that particular show and would have missed out anyways. I was too much of a metal head with Metallica and Megadeth on constant play, Grunge was secondary to my musical tastes in those days

Dobber Sports Veteran

I’ll come at this thread from a different perspective. The Sgt.Pepper album had me hooked on music in 1967. Then The Doors along with the Beatles were my favourites. Until Zeppelin released their first album. Nothing compared for a long time. And still doesn’t. Fortunate enough to see them live half a dozen times.
    Sabbath, Aerosmith, Jethro Tull, Bowie, Budgie, King Crimson, Yes, all through the 70’s. By the late 70’s early 80’s I was in Vancouver. Genesis with Gabriel became a favourite. Zeppelin continued to set my musical bar. Queen and Van Halen had potential. They showed a harder edge but not enough. It wasn’t until the 2000’s that I discovered Pearl Jam, Nirvana. Living so close to Seattle I couldn’t believe I didn’t catch the Seattle grunge music when it first came out. My youngest son introduced me to Metallic and Radiohead. Well into my 60’s now and music still rocks. So many different avenues to hear so many new bands. An incredible amount of great music is available.
    All time favourites, the Beatles, Zeppelin and Radiohead.
    Stay safe, keep well, Peace Out ☮️
    Yahoo! 10 Team Keep 6, H2H - 1 win
    G, A, SOG, PPP, FOW, H, B, Wins, GAA, Sv%, SHO
    2C, 2RW, 2LW, 1Ut, 4D, 3G, 6Bench, 2-I/R+, 1NA

C: Bennett, Couturier, Zacha
    LW: Draisaitl-C, Stutzle-C, Kaprizov, E.Kane
    RW: Marner I/R,T.Thompson-C, Necas-C, Nichushkin
    D: Dahlin, Bouchard, Gudas, Romanov, KA Miller
    G: Vasilevskiy , Skinner, Gustavsson, Woll, Allen
    4 weekly minimum start’s required
    I/R: Sergachev

When I say nothing, I say everything. J.White

Administrator

Dove into some old Silverchair this morning thanks to this thread. Good shit.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

The Wolverine

Just because.

Dobber Sports Genius

Huge fan of this genre. Was in my late teens during the height of grunge. This is a cool listen for those interested. The STP files are also worth a listen.

https://www.podbean.com/media/share/...source=w_share
    Hockey Pools? Too many to mention. Points only, salary cap and dynasty.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Any olds like me still like grunge, I was impressed with how much early Ty Segall reminded me of 90s grunge rock. So there's my recommendation. The guy is fantastic and super prolific.
    10-team H2H points keeper league, keep 4
    G: 2, A: 2, SOG: 0.15, Hit: 0.15, Block: 0.15, W: 3.5, Sv: 0.025, SO: 6
    7 F, 3 D, 1 G

2022-2023 Roster:
    F: Connor McDavid, Steven Stamkos, Artemi Panarin, Jack Hughes, Mark Stone, Josh Norris, Tyler Bertuzzi, PL Dubois, Sam Bennett, Tom Wilson (IR)
    D: Kris Letang, Drew Doughty, Brent Burns, Shayne Gostisbehere
    G: Ilya Sorokin, Thatcher Demko

The Wolverine

A classic from STP:

Dobber Sports Guru

My brother was at that show. I'm jealous of you both.

Seen Pearl Jam a couple times, saw the Pumpkins near the end of their touring (before the comeback), saw Silverchair too.
    Great genre. Time to dig out some old CDs....
    Points-only, Full Keeper Dynasty League
    Active roster (no starts, just total points): 12 FW, 6 D, 1 Goalie

Forwards: Kucherov, Barkov, Teravainen, Seguin, Hoffman, Lindholm, Gusev, Horvat, Meier, Perron, Schwartz, Johansen, Pavelski, Buchnevich, Hischier, Granlund, Bracco

Defense: Josi, Dahlin, Letang, Gostisbehere, Ekman-Larsson, Petry, Slavin, Keith, Matheson

Goal: Lehner, Holtby, Varlamov

Farm: Soderstrom, York, Woo, Tracey, Dorofeyev

Dobber Sports All-Star

Lithium is my go to station... So yeah, Grunge.
    KHL Fantasy Hockey League Keep 8
    3-C 3-RW 3-LW 6-D 2-G

Forward 5-G 3-A 1.0 STP
    D-Men 6-G 4-A 1.5 STP
    .35 Shot .4 Hit .4 Block .1 FOW
    Goalie 6.5 Win .25 Save -2.5 GA 2-SO

C- Larkin, Hischer, Horvat, R. Thomas
    LW- Stamkos, Hyman, Kreider, Lehkonen,
    RW- Laine, Marchessault, Toffoli. Buchnevich
    D- Doughty, Burns, Letang, Andersson (IR), Faulk, Toews, Pionk, Petry
    G- Vasilevskiy, Copley, Andersen