Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Offensive sports team names

Dobber Sports Star

Default Re: Offensive sports team names

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    IMO, time is now or never.

I could see them falling like dominos:

1. Blackhawks stay Blackhawks, but drop the Indian head for a an actual hawk, still with the feathers somehow worked into logo. (I would assume this is underway, but won't be revealed until Hawks are out of the playoffs. Everything has already been branded for this hockey season.)
    This is a pretty cool idea (and it seems obvious now but I hadn't thought of it), and I could totally see it starting the domino fall.

Dobber Sports Titan

The Blackhawks I do believe have a controversy over the logo, not the team name. Which is kind of the first domino that would switch in that. Hockey doesn't have the spot light on it like other sports int he Native American community, so they escape a lot of this. Would changing their logo to a literal Black Hawk be enough? Would you want to add a head dress to the Black Hawk to pay homage to the old logo? Blackhawks have a dicey road ahead.

BTW I like this logo change for the Blackhawks, but I don't know if it would be a legit fix.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Demi-God

If memory serves, NHL teams often unveil new logos for the NHL entry draft - presenting a new jersey to a draftee (in combination with public media marketing).
    This gives Chicago-NHL a good 3-4 months to put it together.
    So timing is perfect.

On second thought, and reading about Redskins, many think all links to former-Indian representation should be removed. I can see that. So the feathers are probably out.
    I'd love to see the feathers, but I could also see them just keeping four colours of striping (red, green, yellow, red) somewhere on the logo... and the feathers being discontinued.
    (A bit similar to how the Isles represent their four cups with the four stripes on the hockey stick)

This one is a little too "mid90s" Capitals-ish... but it's not bad.
    Add in the red-yellow-green-red striping somewhere... and it's close:

Source:
    https://boards.sportslogos.net/topic...rand-update-2/

Chicago's logo & jersey are so iconic & revered... that I think the hockey club had trouble ever considering re-branding their image.
    But I think (90% certainty) they do it for the upcoming season/draft. Perfect timing for a reason.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

These are dope lol

Dobber Sports Deity

It almost looks like the German coat of arms emblem (Bundesadler).

Coat_of_arms_of_Germany.svg.png

Thats the first thing that came to my mind when I saw it.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    The Blackhawks I do believe have a controversy over the logo, not the team name. Which is kind of the first domino that would switch in that. Hockey doesn't have the spot light on it like other sports int he Native American community, so they escape a lot of this. Would changing their logo to a literal Black Hawk be enough? Would you want to add a head dress to the Black Hawk to pay homage to the old logo? Blackhawks have a dicey road ahead.

BTW I like this logo change for the Blackhawks, but I don't know if it would be a legit fix.
    In that article I linked earlier it was noted that the left logo was created by someone for the Blackhawks, and when they passed it was sold to a franchise in a smaller league.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Ninja

Edmonton Eskimos are probably going to be on the list as well. For anyone who still pays attention to CFL.

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    If memory serves, NHL teams often unveil new logos for the NHL entry draft - presenting a new jersey to a draftee (in combination with public media marketing).
    This gives Chicago-NHL a good 3-4 months to put it together.
    So timing is perfect.

On second thought, and reading about Redskins, many think all links to former-Indian representation should be removed. I can see that. So the feathers are probably out.
    I'd love to see the feathers, but I could also see them just keeping four colours of striping (red, green, yellow, red) somewhere on the logo... and the feathers being discontinued.
    (A bit similar to how the Isles represent their four cups with the four stripes on the hockey stick)

This one is a little too "mid90s" Capitals-ish... but it's not bad.
    Add in the red-yellow-green-red striping somewhere... and it's close:

Source:
    https://boards.sportslogos.net/topic...rand-update-2/

Chicago's logo & jersey are so iconic & revered... that I think the hockey club had trouble ever considering re-branding their image.
    But I think (90% certainty) they do it for the upcoming season/draft. Perfect timing for a reason.
    Maybe they should have done those with 19 instead of 88.
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt, Hayton
    RW- Batherson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Stone, Wilson, Raymond,
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Ristolainen, Cernak, Barrie
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Levi, Tarasov

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Mintyukov, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, Podskolvin, REvans, Dorofeyev, Anunumen

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream Nation View Post
    Maybe they should have done those with 19 instead of 88.
    good one..

WHL - World Hockey League (24 Team - Daily H2H)

Maine Moose 2021-2022

2019 WHL GM of the Year #Supersoft

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    Edmonton Eskimos are probably going to be on the list as well. For anyone who still pays attention to CFL.
    The Beaverton disagrees https://www.thebeaverton.com/2020/07...federate-flag/

Dobber Sports Deity

Blackhawks announce they have no intentions of changing name or logo.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/blackha...veland-indians

The Blackhawks will keep their name and logo but are committed to ‘‘raising the bar even higher’’ in their efforts to increase awareness of Native American culture, they said in a statement Tuesday.

The statement comes after the NFL’s Redskins and MLB’s Indians announced their intentions last week to consider changing their Native American names and logos.

‘‘The Chicago Blackhawks name and logo symbolizes an important and historic person, Black Hawk of Illinois’ Sac & Fox Nation, whose leadership and life has inspired generations of Native Americans, veterans and the public,’’ the Hawks’ statement said.

‘‘We celebrate Black Hawk’s legacy by offering ongoing reverent examples of Native American culture, traditions and contributions, providing a platform for genuine dialogue with local and national Native American groups. As the team’s popularity grew over the past decade, so did that platform and our work with these important organizations.

‘‘We recognize there is a fine line between respect and disrespect, and we commend other teams for their willingness to engage in that conversation.

‘‘Moving forward, we are committed to raising the bar even higher to expand awareness of Black Hawk and the important contributions of all Native American people.

‘‘We will continue to serve as stewards of our name and identity and will do so with a commitment to evolve. Our endeavors in this area have been sincere and multifaceted, and the path forward will draw on that experience to grow as an organization and expand our efforts.’’

The Hawks frequently honor Native Americans with pregame ovations and intermission performances, but other Native American groups in Illinois have denounced the Hawks’ name and logo for perpetuating racist stereotypes.

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Titan

sounds like Eskimos are switching their name. Or highly likely.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by chuckcouples View Post
    I love the Beaverton.

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    sounds like Eskimos are switching their name. Or highly likely.
    Financial pressure is on it's way now towards Edmonton to do just that.

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/football/c...name-1.5641501

One of the sponsors of the Canadian Football League's Edmonton Eskimos says it will cut ties with the team unless it changes its name.

Longtime sponsor Belairdirect, a car and home insurance company and one of the team's 13 premier partners, said Tuesday the team's name, which has been used since the late 19th century, is no longer appropriate.

"One of our core values is respect, which is founded on seeing diversity as a strength, being inclusive and collaborative," the company said in a statement to CBC News.

"Guided by this value, in order for us to move forward and continue on with our partnership, we will need to see concrete action in the near future including a commitment to a name change."

Belairdirect's statement said the company has shared its position with the team.

A spokesperson within the Eskimos organization told CBC Sports the team was preparing an internal statement that would likely be released Wednesday.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

I'm thinking:

Edmonton Kimono Komodos

(though... this will quickly be regarded as offensive to how komodo dragons identify these days... so... bad Pengwin... bad....)