Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 2020 Hall of Fame Class

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Default 2020 Hall of Fame Class

https://www.tsn.ca/jarome-iginla-dou...2020-1.1489175

Inductees in Men's category:

Jarome Iginla - no doubt about it!

Marian Hossa
    - I think they made the right decision here getting him in on first ballot!

Kevin Lowe and Doug Wilson - These guys waited a long time and are finally in. Opposite ends of the spectrum. One won Cups and was not a producer... the other did not win cups but scored a lot of points.

Women - Kim St. Pierre - well-deserved

Builder - Ken Holland - I never fully like the decisions made for the builder category... but there aren't always a tonne of good options either.

Daniel Alfredsson, Tom Barrasso, Theo Fleury, Alexander Mogilny and Keith Tkachuk were among the prominent candidates passed over again.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

Dobber Sports Superstar

Default Re: 2020 Hall of Fame Class

I really like the First 3 and the last 2.

Kevin Lowe and Doug Wilson are interesting. Each had very solid careers and different ways. Lowe is constantly credited as being an intangibles guy on the ice and in the locker room. I think more recently his lack of success in management may have hurt his chances? The funny thing to me is these guys played their last games in 1993 and 1998 respectively, nothing about their playing career has changed in the 20 years they have been eligible for the HHOF so why now? I'm not saying they should not be in just it's funny that they were not admitted 5 years after playing but now are...
    12 team H-2-H 1 year league, daily roster changes, 3 goalie start minimum/week
    2xC, 2xRW, 2xLW, 4xD, 3xUtil, 2xG, 5 Bench
    G, A, P, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, W, SV%, GAA, SVs
    C: C. Keller, C. Mittelstadt, B. Nelson, R. Strome,
    LW: K. Connor, B. Tkachuk, J. Gaudreau, J. Marchessault, E. Rodrigues, A. Lafreniere
    RW: K. Fiala, J. Bratt, T. Jeannot V. Arvidsson
    D: R. Josi, J. Trouba, E. Gustafsson,
    G: L. Thompson, F. Gustavsson, V. Vanecek
    NO IR

Dobber Sports Deity

I like both Lowe and Wilson getting in and both are deserving.

Mogilny misses out again.

Let's be honest, this is the Hall of Pretty Good more than a Hall of Fame and everyone who got in this year is pretty good at least, if not more.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Mogilny and Botterill not getting in is a travesty. Dunno why Hossa was always such a no-doubter.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Actually. Hossa and Lowe getting in before Mogilny and Fluery is insanity.

Dobber Sports Immortal

Hossa is a Hall of Very Good for sure. But I still don't like him as a first ballot. That should be for the elite of the elite.

Fingers crossed for Osgood someday.

Dobber Sports Stud

Hossa not a first-ballot guy from my perspective. Usually he was 2nd best (3rd?) player on his TEAM! Seriously, when (over any 2 years of his career) was he “the guy?” On an Atlanta Thrashers team, maybe??

What’s done is done. His own family will go to HOF to see others enshrined there.
    CONDORS, 2022-23 league champions, Reg Dunlop Mem Cup

12-team, H2H. Keep 12, but drop 2 of top four skaters, and also 2 of next six, then five more (from end-of-year rankings). One GK max.

Stutzle, Sergachev
    Keller, Doughty, Verhaeghe, ErikssonEk
    E.Lindholm, Barzal, J.Gaudreau, Huberdeau, S. Wright
    Gustavsson

Dobber Sports Titan

I don't think Lowe should be in.

Hossa should not have been a first ballot

Moginiy not in yet is wrong

HHOF has gotten it wrong almost every year so nothing new.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    I don't think Lowe should be in.

Hossa should not have been a first ballot

Mogilny not in yet is wrong

HHOF has gotten it wrong almost every year so nothing new.

I am curious as to everyone's thought process on Mogilny being so much more worthy than Hossa? I understand Mogilny has had to wait and I understand he broke the barrier.

But I am a huge fan of Hossa getting in.

1) Hossa is #35 all-time in goals. Only one person ahead of him on the list for goals scored is not in the HOF - and thats cause he is still playing.

2) Hossa played a complete game, he was a career Plus 245.
    - For someone to score as many goals as he did and still be as great defensively as he was is a great achievement.

3) Sure he never won any individual award for the Selke or anything...
    -but he was consistently receiving votes for awards. (only 3 years of his career did he not finish in the top voting for at least one award)
    -Mogilny won the Lady Byng one year... but there was 13 years that he didn't receive any consideration for any personal awards.
    - so is having one really good year and winning one award better than being consistent and receiving consideration for awards in 16 out of 19 seasons??

4) Cups - I don't think that Cups should be a major determining factor for getting into the Hall... but we all know it is.
    - Hossa won three cups with the Hawks, Mogilny only won one.

Disclaimer - I am not saying that Mogilny shouldn't be in the Hall of Fame... I am just explaining my thought process as to why I think Hossa is more deserving than Mogilny.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinHunter View Post
    I am curious as to everyone's thought process on Mogilny being so much more worthy than Hossa? I understand Mogilny has had to wait and I understand he broke the barrier.

But I am a huge fan of Hossa getting in.

1) Hossa is #35 all-time in goals. Only one person ahead of him on the list for goals scored is not in the HOF - and thats cause he is still playing.

2) Hossa played a complete game, he was a career Plus 245.
    - For someone to score as many goals as he did and still be as great defensively as he was is a great achievement.

3) Sure he never won any individual award for the Selke or anything...
    -but he was consistently receiving votes for awards. (only 3 years of his career did he not finish in the top voting for at least one award)
    -Mogilny won the Lady Byng one year... but there was 13 years that he didn't receive any consideration for any personal awards.
    - so is having one really good year and winning one award better than being consistent and receiving consideration for awards in 16 out of 19 seasons??

4) Cups - I don't think that Cups should be a major determining factor for getting into the Hall... but we all know it is.
    - Hossa won three cups with the Hawks, Mogilny only won one.

Disclaimer - I am not saying that Mogilny shouldn't be in the Hall of Fame... I am just explaining my thought process as to why I think Hossa is more deserving than Mogilny.
    My thought is both are on the same tier. Hossa should be in, not first ballot though. Especially when you take into account international play and consider Alfie, Sundin, and that it took 6yrs for Zubov to get in. I dunno, Hossa seems to be the guy who gets in because of the longevity of his career (which is DEFINITELY a strong point to get in) but it shouldn't be the top point on a first ballot HOFer.

I just think 1st ballot hall of famers should be closer to what MLB does. First ballots should be no absolute doubters right when they retire. He def should be in though.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    My thought is both are on the same tier. Hossa should be in, not first ballot though. Especially when you take into account international play and consider Alfie, Sundin, and that it took 6yrs for Zubov to get in. I dunno, Hossa seems to be the guy who gets in because of the longevity of his career (which is DEFINITELY a strong point to get in) but it shouldn't be the top point on a first ballot HOFer.

I just think 1st ballot hall of famers should be closer to what MLB does. First ballots should be no absolute doubters right when they retire. He def should be in though.
    I agree with the 1st ballot hall of famers. And that is a great argument.. Mogilny getting in this year would make more sense and make Hossa wait a few years.

I wonder how much the committee looks ahead and has a plan for future years and such. Like next year... are the Sedins first ballot HOFers? If so that takes up two of the four slots right there and there are lots of worthy candidates that are waiting in the wings as well.

​​

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinHunter View Post
    I agree with the 1st ballot hall of famers. And that is a great argument.. Mogilny getting in this year would make more sense and make Hossa wait a few years.

I wonder how much the committee looks ahead and has a plan for future years and such. Like next year... are the Sedins first ballot HOFers? If so that takes up two of the four slots right there and there are lots of worthy candidates that are waiting in the wings as well.
    I also agree with this. I believe all are worthy of getting into the HOPG but there are others who were just as deserving and have been waiting longer.

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Without a superduper star, this class feels underwhelming.
    But Iggy and Hossa are both great picks.

I'm a bit annoyed by the doubters on Hossa's game (among "hockey fans").
    He's a sure-fire HOF in my eyes.
    The guy had such an incredible all-around game.

Ignoring his 7gp first season, the guy had ONE negative +/- season (where he had to line with Kovalchuk).
    He was a career +245. (+25 in playoffs)
    People can poo-poo the +/- all they want, but spread over 15+ seasons with 5+ teams, it's a tell... even if one never really watched Hossa fully.
    He was an absolute ideal top line wing linemate.

(shaking head)... people that doubt on Hossa, for me, shows their colours as being "highlight" lovers.
    Hockey is about scoring more goals than the opponent, however you do that... you don't even need stats or highlight reel moves to show thru.
    Hossa was just solid. Not flashy. He did EVERYTHING right on the ice. Every.thing.
    Hossa's overall game was simply complete enough to be a sure-fire HHOFer. Period.

[FWIW - the Atlanta Thrashers were a shitty shitty team that everybody associates with Ilya Kovalchuk. Kovy sucked as a team player, as a winner. The Thrashers made the playoffs ONCE, ever, and the best player on that team - not debatable - was 100pt Hossa.]

Dobber Sports Ninja

Iginla has always been one of my favorite players of all time for a variety of reasons. Such a shame he never got a cup (with someone other than Calgary of course!) but he did make a great pass to someone named Sidney at one point that resulted in pretty important goal.

The Hossa pick is decent as well, at least compared to a lot of others in the Hall.

Kevin Lowe makes no sense to me, but he's too connected and the boys club was going to make it happen eventually. Really don't see him as anywhere near a Hall of Fame player, but then neither are a lot of players that are there these days.

Doug Wilson. Meh, but whatever.

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    Iginla has always been one of my favorite players of all time for a variety of reasons. Such a shame he never got a cup (with someone other than Calgary of course!) but he did make a great pass to someone named Sidney at one point that resulted in pretty important goal.

The Hossa pick is decent as well, at least compared to a lot of others in the Hall.

Kevin Lowe makes no sense to me, but he's too connected and the boys club was going to make it happen eventually. Really don't see him as anywhere near a Hall of Fame player, but then neither are a lot of players that are there these days.

Doug Wilson. Meh, but whatever.
    Lowe's 6 Stanley Cups are probably a big reason he got in there. He was the classic shutdown Dman. It's funny when I was reading Pengwin7s argument for Hossa, I was thinking about KLowe at the same time. He played huge minutes against the other teams best players night after night in the highest scoring era of the NHL and he was still a a +260 for his career. Seven ASGs and a King Clancy Award in his cap. He was solid, not flashy and did everything right on the ice and he won, a lot. He was a huge part of that Oilers dynasty and a key cog in the wheel.

Is he worthy of the Hall of Fame? He's just as worthy as a lot of others in there but as I've said many times, this is the Hall of Pretty Good and safe to say Lowe was pretty good back in the day. Heart and sole guys don't get the recognition because you can't see that on the stat page as often. That's what Lowe was; a heart and sole guy and he won a lot of Stanley Cups in his career. People always forget about the defensive end of the ice when looking for reasons to promote guys.

20 years is a long time to wait for a guy with that many Cups. I am surprised it took him this long to get in all things considered.