Thread: Trade for Top Pick

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Trade for Top Pick

I would like to trade for another guys top pick in my keeper league (you keep guys forever, and it's a deep league with 14 teams and main roster and farm)

The guy with the likely top pick might be willing to trade it.

What do you think of this trade?

My Zegras and 9th overall
    for 1st overall.

thanks.

McDavid/Necas/ Kucherov/Bjorkstrand/Rust/Nugent Hopkins/Cirelli/Zegras/- Letang/Morrissey/Dahlin - Swayman/Saros/Skinner

Prospects include:
    McTavish/Clarke/Bordeleau
    Dumais/Korchinski/Hutson

Don't worry I'm not going to say anything more than I have to. If that.

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Re: Trade for Top Pick

I think it's a heavy price to pay for Lafreniere but I'd probably do it. Lafreniere is not a generational talent or even a franchise player in my eyes but he's going to be a very good, high end NHL talent for years. Zegras could be something similar and we really dont know what to expect from the 9th overall player drafted in your draft.

Right now, in my opinion, Lafreniere > Zegras so the 9th may or may not make this trade a win for you.

Is this an offer on the table, or just something you're considering proposing?
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Apprentice

It's closer to something I'm thinking of proposing.
    He offered something similar (we swapped my 10th for his 15th as well) but I think more hypothetically.

So I was thinking of simplifying it. I'm not sure he would take it but it would probably get us close.

McDavid/Necas/ Kucherov/Bjorkstrand/Rust/Nugent Hopkins/Cirelli/Zegras/- Letang/Morrissey/Dahlin - Swayman/Saros/Skinner

Prospects include:
    Dumais/Korchinski/Hutson

Dobber Sports Deity

Lafreniere is the clear top prospect not playing in the NHL today and he hasnt even been drafted yet. That being said, I think it's safe to say that most would consider Zegras not too far behind him in most peoples prospect rankings. I guess it would depend on how highly this other GM values someone like Zegras. Personally, I think your offer is more than fair to the point I am not sure I'd give up Zegras and the 9th overall but that's the gamble I guess. The hardest part for the other GM is losing the excitement of making that first overall pick.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Yeah thanks for the help. Zegras plus someone like Perfetti or Quinn seems like a lot.

Prospects include:
    Dumais/Korchinski/Hutson

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Question... do you split out forward positions into LW, C, RW or do you just play forwards?

If so I would definitely consider making this trade.

Zegras is good, but he is a Centre and centre is a deep position.

Lafreniere could be great. He score 80 points in the QMJHL as a 15 year old. Guess how many points MacKinnon maxed out at in the QMJHL? 78points. Lafrenier then score over 100 points in each of his 16 and 17 year old seasons... I think this guy is going to be one of the top LWers in the league in short time.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

They do separate out. That's a good point. Will have to think some more about it.

Prospects include:
    Dumais/Korchinski/Hutson

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I agree with Penguinhunter.

Just an additional piece of advice (that you haven't asked for...): try to acquire the weak teams' first rounders as early as possible. The shorter before the draft, the steeper the price. I usually assess the teams at the very start of the season and make a push for these picks when nobody cares too much about them yet. I now own 2 of the top 4 picks (our league's draft ranking is linked to the NHL's so I'll know he exact position after tomorrow's NHL draft lottery) despite having had the best regular season record.
    24 team H2H dynasty, fantasy points, no cap
    Skaters: G 4.5 (5 for Ds), A 3, PPG 1.5 (2 for Ds), PPA 1 (1.5 for Ds), SHP 2, Ft 2, HIT 0.6, BLK 0.6, SOG 0.3 (0.4 for Ds), FW 0.1, Tk 0.5 // Gv -0.3
    Goalies: W 3.5, SHO 5, SV 0.5, A 3 // GA -3, L -1.5
    4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 2G, 4BN, 4IR

C: McDavid, MacKinnon, Hischier
    LW: B.Tkachuk, Ovechkin, Paul(C), Jones
    LW/RW: Meier, Fiala, Giroux(C), Niederreiter
    RW: Reinhart, Anderson
    D: Josi, Matheson, Durzi, Moser, Cernak, Zadorov, Siegenthaler
    G: Daccord, Merzlikins, Vanecek, Pickard

44 minors; most noteables: A.Schmid, E.Andrae, M.Kesselring, S.Malinski, B.Pachal, L.Bichsel, E.Soderblom,...

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by Wotan View Post
    I agree with Penguinhunter.

Just an additional piece of advice (that you haven't asked for...): try to acquire the weak teams' first rounders as early as possible. The shorter before the draft, the steeper the price. I usually assess the teams at the very start of the season and make a push for these picks when nobody cares too much about them yet. I now own 2 of the top 4 picks (our league's draft ranking is linked to the NHL's so I'll know he exact position after tomorrow's NHL draft lottery) despite having had the best regular season record.
    This is exactly right, especially in forever-keepers. You should have a decent idea of who will be somewhere near the bottom a year in advance. And you'll know it before they do. As the season progresses, their realization of their cellar-dwelling will become more crystallized, which will make getting their picks harder.