Thread: Best chance of breaking out???????

Dobber Sports Novice

Default Best chance of breaking out???????

Hey folks,

I have a few guys on my roster, from which I'm nearing the end of a rebuild, that I'm torn on whether to give another year to prove they can be valuable pieces. What say you? Which of these guys will forever be 40-50 pt guys, and which have a decent chance of hitting 60+??

All are 23-25 years old, and I have a lot of prospects coming that will need roster spots, so just figuring out which ones are worth hanging on to.

Dvorak
    Kase
    Athanasiou
    Roslovic
    Labanc

Points only with goals worth 2, assists 1, +/- is 1, and special team points are 1.

Thanks in advance.

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Re: Best chance of breaking out???????

So my picks here I try to have some reasoning for:

Kase: Boston really is a significant opportunity for him. After their top line, their best wings?? DeBrusk (maybe) - he’s been gifted that PP1 spot but #’s haven’t justified - Kase or Nick Ritchie WILL get their chances.

Athanasiou - speed, speed and EDMONTON?? That nice plum spot on line 1 with McDavid? Even James Neal thrived there. Someone who can skate with McDavid - terrifying!

Dvorak - lots of mouths to feed in ARI with a defense-first mentality. He has skill, maybe best of this group - but unless injury hits, he’s C-3.

Labanc - signed last year to “prove it” one year, $1M contract and didn’t prove much.

Roslovic - too many chances to count over last 2 years. Ask yourself WHY that spot between Laine and Ehlers hasn’t been his... it’s been there for the taking, and he hasn’t done it.

Curious what others think.
    CONDORS, 2022-23 league champions, Reg Dunlop Mem Cup

12-team, H2H. Keep 12, but drop 2 of top four skaters, and also 2 of next six, then five more (from end-of-year rankings). One GK max.

Stutzle, Sergachev
    Keller, Doughty, Verhaeghe, ErikssonEk
    E.Lindholm, Barzal, J.Gaudreau, Huberdeau, S. Wright
    Gustavsson

Dobber Sports Titan

Labanc is my top pick because of the upside. Him and all of SJ disappointed last year, but I think he can bounce back.

Kase is second for the reason mentioned above.

Dvorak is my third choice as a bit of a talent that has been stewing for a while and slowly getting better. There isn't too much else in Arizona that he would have to surpass to get the prime offensive minutes.

Roslovic has some upside but I don't think he's ready yet.

Athanasiou I just find has disappointed forever, so I'm off that train.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    Labanc is my top pick because of the upside. Him and all of SJ disappointed last year, but I think he can bounce back.

Kase is second for the reason mentioned above.

Dvorak is my third choice as a bit of a talent that has been stewing for a while and slowly getting better. There isn't too much else in Arizona that he would have to surpass to get the prime offensive minutes.

Roslovic has some upside but I don't think he's ready yet.

Athanasiou I just find has disappointed forever, so I'm off that train.
    These are my rankings as well. A little lower on Dvorak than EB though.
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Dobber Sports Initiate

I have Labanc as the best option. Sure this last season didn't go well, but nobody had a real good season in SJ.

Then I am going Dvorak. He had a good season, but at times felt held back by his linemates. I think he has started to come out of shell and started being more offensive.

Kase is my 3rd choice. Though I feel he is there about with Dvorak or just a step behind. Boston could be real good for him.

I like Roslovic. He has upside. But not sure he gets there to being a 55pt player or better.

Athanasius has speed. He shown to score goals. 1 30 goal season. But even riding shotgun with McDavid I don't think he gets more than 50 pts. He has received plenty of opportunities in Detroit, and will get his chances in Edmonton but I don't think he can step up enough.

Dobber Sports Icon

Dvorak
    Roslovic
    Athanasiou
    Kase
    Labanc

That's the order I would put them.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Give me Athanasiou. He will get a chance to succeed after the picks edmonton gave up to get him. The guy playing on McDavid's wing has the highest upside based on opportunity alone.

Dobber Sports Deity

Just so everyone knows, Athanasiou wasn't playing on McDavid's wing when the season ended; Tyler Ennis was (along with Kassian on the right side). Athanasiou was on the left side of the 3rd line with Sheahan and Archibald, and also on PP2. Now that doesn't mean that's where he will be long-term but right now, what we know, he was not playing with McDavid.

I do agree that Labanc has the best chance to bounce back but to "break out" as the OP is asking for, I am not sure I see too many of these guys breaking out. To me, they're all just blah kinda players who haven't lived up to the hype.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Just so everyone knows, Athanasiou wasn't playing on McDavid's wing when the season ended; Tyler Ennis was (along with Kassian on the right side). Athanasiou was on the left side of the 3rd line with Sheahan and Archibald, and also on PP2. Now that doesn't mean that's where he will be long-term but right now, what we know, he was not playing with McDavid.

I do agree that Labanc has the best chance to bounce back but to "break out" as the OP is asking for, I am not sure I see too many of these guys breaking out. To me, they're all just blah kinda players who haven't lived up to the hype.
    Yes I am aware of that, but like I said with the price they paid to acquire him, I don't think they simply banish him to the third line after 9 games. I predict he will be given another chance to succeed, and out of the guys that are listed on here, I think it is worth the gamble.

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by sweetcelly View Post
    Yes I am aware of that, but like I said with the price they paid to acquire him, I don't think they simply banish him to the third line after 9 games. I predict he will be given another chance to succeed, and out of the guys that are listed on here, I think it is worth the gamble.
    He's getting beat out by Tyler Ennis. Tyler freakin' Ennis!!!! LOL!
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Some games they had Ennis on the left and AA on the right, he doesn't have to play the left side. I know they like Kassian on McD's right, but he is also a good fit on a third line.