Thread: Jamie Drysdale - Definitely a PP1 QB or only probably one?

Dobber Sports Star

Default Jamie Drysdale - Definitely a PP1 QB or only probably one?

With some prospect defensemen, we hear that they definitely will run their teams' first power play, that is, their offensive talent is so undeniable, PP1 is inevitable. Makar and Dahlin come to mind. And then with other defensemen, we hear that they can run a PP1, which leaves room for doubt as to placement. Drysdale is being described as having high-end offensive talent, but I don't think I've seen him consistently described in either the "definitely will" category or the "definitely could" category.

Which group do you think he falls into? I wonder if the paucity of defenseman in this year's class makes everyone overstate his likelihood of high-end offensive production. To me, if he is a "definitely will" player, he's worth picking in the 4-6 range in rookie drafts. If he's the "definitely could" category, then I'd probably move him down to the 9-11 range. Of course, it depends where he goes, if he's drafted by Ottawa, then Chabot and Brannstrom will be obstacles. But independent of that, I'd like to hear what you think.

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Re: Jamie Drysdale - Definitely a PP1 QB or only probably one?

I just shared Bob Mackenzie's final draft ranking. You can go check it out but in the write up they have this to say about Drysdale. Keep in mind, this ranking is done after polling actual NHL scouts and their rankings.

Either way, this is what Mackenzie has to say:

The No. 4 slot on TSN’s final list belongs to Erie Otter right defenceman Jamie Drysdale. Eight of 10 scouts ranked him in that position, giving him the nod as the consensus top blueliner available in this year’s draft. Drysdale was No. 4 on TSN’s mid-season list.

It’s worth noting, however, that the next-best defenceman, No. 8-ranked Jake Sanderson of the U.S. U-18 National Development Team Program, did have two of the 10 scouts rank him at No. 3, ahead of Drysdale. So Drysdale is the consensus top defenceman, but it’s not unanimous.

Drysdale is an elite skater, incredibly agile, with outstanding hockey sense and offensive instincts. At 5-foot-11, he’s not a big pro-style blueliner, but he’s shown to be a capable defender who uses his smarts, body positioning, gap control and stick deployment to his advantage.

“He’s going to be a top-pair offensive NHL d-man who can run a power play,” a scout said.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Star

Axeman

That's what led me to create the new thread, didn't want to hijack yours.

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post

“He’s going to be a top-pair offensive NHL d-man who can run a power play,” a scout said.
    There's the magic phrase "can run a power play." With him being a little undersized, I'm a little wary of him ever being a consistent first pairing guy. I'm trying to gauge whether his PP1 destiny is reliable enough that I can choose him over Raymond, Holtz, Perfetti, Rossi, etc.

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by senryu View Post
    Axeman

That's what led me to create the new thread, didn't want to hijack yours.

There's the magic phrase "can run a power play." With him being a little undersized, I'm a little wary of him ever being a consistent first pairing guy. I'm trying to gauge whether his PP1 destiny is reliable enough that I can choose him over Raymond, Holtz, Perfetti, Rossi, etc.
    Undersized? He's the same height as Cale Makar, and that's the first name I googled. Any worries about Makar running a PP?

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Undersized? He's the same height as Cale Makar, and that's the first name I googled. Any worries about Makar running a PP?
    This is the insight I'm coming here for! If Makar is first-pairing at even strength, then perhaps my thesis is defective. And I'm not worried about height/size with respect to running the PP1, it is with respect to getting the lion's share of even strength minutes to boost overall production. If Drysdale is PP1 and first-pairing, then that's great. If he looks to be PP2 and first-pairing, or PP1 and second pairing, then I like a few more forwards in a 2020 rookie draft over Drysdale.

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by senryu View Post
    This is the insight I'm coming here for! If Makar is first-pairing at even strength, then perhaps my thesis is defective. And I'm not worried about height/size with respect to running the PP1, it is with respect to getting the lion's share of even strength minutes to boost overall production. If Drysdale is PP1 and first-pairing, then that's great. If he looks to be PP2 and first-pairing, or PP1 and second pairing, then I like a few more forwards in a 2020 rookie draft over Drysdale.
    Well none of us can predict the future but he's seen as an offensive Dman and if he goes top five (as many expect) safe to say that team is drafting him for his offensive upside.

He's not a defensive stalwart so I think we know what we're getting from him.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Ottawa has Brannstrom and Chabot, sure, but they're also clicking on the PP at a league-worst 14.2%. There's certainly a lot of room for improvement and trying some new things out in Ottawa, and you have to think a top-5 drafted offensive d-man (if the draft goes as the rankings do) would still have plenty of opportunity in that scenario. I'd have to think Drysdale would be on the fast track if he went to many of the teams in the running for a top-10 pick -- he'll likely at least get a shot at PP1 at some point. Whether he seizes the role or not is impossible to say.
    10-team H2H points keeper league, keep 4
    G: 2, A: 2, SOG: 0.15, Hit: 0.15, Block: 0.15, W: 3.5, Sv: 0.025, SO: 6
    7 F, 3 D, 1 G

2022-2023 Roster:
    F: Connor McDavid, Steven Stamkos, Artemi Panarin, Jack Hughes, Mark Stone, Josh Norris, Tyler Bertuzzi, PL Dubois, Sam Bennett, Tom Wilson (IR)
    D: Kris Letang, Drew Doughty, Brent Burns, Shayne Gostisbehere
    G: Ilya Sorokin, Thatcher Demko

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

I hope he lands in Los Angeles.

I think that is his best bet at sure-fire PP1 spot in the future.

He can learn from a great right-handed defenseman in Doughty and eventually take over the top PP spot and maybe even further down the line the top RHD spot.

And look at the huge hole on defense in LA outside of Doughty.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

Administrator

Tough to know for sure if Drysdale is going to have the passing and quick decision-making in order to be a PP1 and if he'll land in the spot where he gets to do it.

Pietrangelo was capable for years but always had Shattenkirk in the way. Dougie Hamilton faced similar usage problems. Hell, it took John Carlson damn near a decade to get there. Meanwhile, lesser skilled options like Klefbom get gifted beauty situations by default. More and more teams are looking at multiple options duking it out like Werenski and Jones in Columbus.

It seems like Drysdale is a notch below the no-brainer #1 guys like Q Hughes, Makar, Chabot, Dahlin who broke in to top usage almost immediately.

In the right spot I could see it. Anaheim seems like a beauty destination with a nice prospect pool loaded with forwards including a playmaking hub like Zegras and not a ton of competition with Fowler always underwhelming.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Agree w/others.

I think a worry about an "undersized" defensemen is a thing of the past.

All NHL teams will still have 1-2 hulking D to send out to push bigger Fs out of the netmouth.
    But with the oncoming group of young forwards being so fleet-a-foot and quick on pivot... NHL teams are needing young D that can match skating ability.
    Drysdale's skating is going to benefit his all-around value, including neutral zone defensive play and limiting zone entries.

So yes... Drysdale WILL be a top pairing defensemen, probably with a larger vet D-man... but that D-man will compliment him, not vice-versa.

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by metaldude26 View Post
    Tough to know for sure if Drysdale is going to have the passing and quick decision-making in order to be a PP1 and if he'll land in the spot where he gets to do it.

Pietrangelo was capable for years but always had Shattenkirk in the way. Dougie Hamilton faced similar usage problems. Hell, it took John Carlson damn near a decade to get there. Meanwhile, lesser skilled options like Klefbom get gifted beauty situations by default. More and more teams are looking at multiple options duking it out like Werenski and Jones in Columbus.

It seems like Drysdale is a notch below the no-brainer #1 guys like Q Hughes, Makar, Chabot, Dahlin who broke in to top usage almost immediately.

In the right spot I could see it. Anaheim seems like a beauty destination with a nice prospect pool loaded with forwards including a playmaking hub like Zegras and not a ton of competition with Fowler always underwhelming.
    This sums up my own opinion quite nicely. I don't think Drysdale is elite, good but not elite. Opportunity. Absolutely, AP, Hamilton and Carlson being perfect examples of getting a bit buried in a strong system but eventually getting their chance. I think your concerns are well founded, that Drysdale is handed the PP1 anytime soon is far from a given and if he does get opportunity, performing at an elite level is also far from a given. For me, with the crop of forwards available in this draft, I am not tempted to reach for Drysdale too early on, maybe 8 - 12.
    14 Team Roto; Keep 25; 12 F, 6 D, 2 G; 10 Farm; 5 Bench; 5 IR;

Salary Cap - 102.5 Mil

Scoring Cats: G, A, Pts, PIM, Hits, BS, SOG, F Points, D Points; Win+Ties+SO, GAA, SV%

Keepers

F: Aho, Larkin, DeBrincat, Vrana, Bennett, Scheifele, Kakko,Tolvanen, McBain,

D: Heiskanen, Fox, Toews, Lundqvist

G: Swayman, Andersen, Copley

Drops

F: Gaudreau, Terravainen, Puljujarvi, Kravstov, Zary

D: Brannstrom, Cernak, Alexeyev

G: Korpisalo, Merzlikins

FARM: Rossi, Berggren, Holtz, Savoie, Clarke, Tarasov, Wolf

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I would use the word "possibly" here. His pro career is 0 games, and we've seen top picks flame out often enough, that they are nothing definitely. That said, he is going to be a high pick, so if he doesn't bust, he should get a shot, given what we've seen of his skillset.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.