Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: When to Reach for Askarov

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Re: When to Reach for Askarov

Or he could do what I recommended earlier in this thread and trade his picks for young goalies already in the league and let someone else take the gamble that Askarov pans out in five years time.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Novice

Quote Originally Posted by Lindros88 View Post

Shesterkin being traded for 1st ov (lottery - no lower than 3rd ov) + Spencer Knight + Pavel Francouz

Sorokin being traded for J. Hughes and Max Domi

Connor and Jarry for Rantanen and Hischier

Those are terrible trades, I bet that solid goalies like Rask, Price or Fleury are worth nothing because they are over 30?

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by stevegamer View Post
    Given your situation, I'd be okay with taking him at 6, especially if he ends up somewhere with a pretty clear shot at starting soon, and he goes early enough in the draft. However, he's a multi-year wait, and you need to find goalies sooner than that, so he's just part of the solution.

I have a guy I want to ask you about, though: Alexei Melnichuk. Is he on a roster anywhere? He is a guy I'd see if you can snag late if possible. If not, he would be a priority FA add, if he's undraftable in your league.

By the way, that goaltending looks to be about the quality I had when I took over my current multi-cat dynasty in mid-2018, but you have more depth. I finished first in the regular season this past year, and I was churning through any goalie with a NHL pulse, but we have huge rosters, and the best goalie based on NHL performance on waivers at the end of the year was Garret Sparks, followed by Dave Ayres - the emergency goalie who got a win for Carolina, and that's the whole list.
    With an 8-5 category split, goalies + a couple peripheral cats can win your week. I'll argue the Francouz/Shesterkin comparison in saying that Shesterkin has age on him, and the upside to be one of the best goalies in the league (whether he hits it or not).
    14T dynasty
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG
    W, SV%, SO, GAA, SVS

Dobber Sports Apprentice

No, Price Fleury Rask.. these guys still bring back a ton in return. Goalies age very well in the league, while players who are over 30 tend to be the ones that lose their value (which is the case in most dynasties).
    14T dynasty
    W, SV%, SO, GAA, SVS

Dobber Sports Novice

Given your situation, I'd be okay with taking him at 6, especially if he ends up somewhere with a pretty clear shot at starting soon, and he goes early enough in the draft. However, he's a multi-year wait, and you need to find goalies sooner than that, so he's just part of the solution.

I have a guy I want to ask you about, though: Alexei Melnichuk. Is he on a roster anywhere? He is a guy I'd see if you can snag late if possible. If not, he would be a priority FA add, if he's undraftable in your league.

By the way, that goaltending looks to be about the quality I had when I took over my current multi-cat dynasty in mid-2018, but you have more depth. I finished first in the regular season this past year, and I was churning through any goalie with a NHL pulse, but we have huge rosters, and the best goalie based on NHL performance on waivers at the end of the year was Garret Sparks, followed by Dave Ayres - the emergency goalie who got a win for Carolina, and that's the whole list.
    Oh man, Melnichuk is an undraftable FA, and I'll be throwing down a ton of FAAB to acquire him once FA reopens. I have a hunch it'll be like sharks with blood in the water.
    Fantrax 14 Team Dynasty H2H Points League
    3C 3LW 3RW 6D 2G 11bench 15minors
    G A SoG PPP SHP Hits Blks HT
    W Saves GA SHO

C: Horvat, W Karlsson, White, J. Hughes, Little
    LW: Gaudreau, Kreider, Hintz, Forsberg
    RW: Burakovski, Virtanen
    LW/RW: Bjorkstrand, Svechnikov, Burakovsky, Farabee, Greenway
    D: Pulock, Dumba, Heiskanen, Fowler, Murray, Murphy, Dunn, Grzelcyk, Pelech
    G: Hutton, Kinkaid, Merzlikins
    Farm Highlights: Batherson, Puistola, Koivula , Tippett, Madden, Dobson, Sandin, Rasmussen, L Brown, Nedeljkovic, Mahura, Capobianco, N Robertson, , Rafferty, Alexeyev
    Picks: 2020- 2x Rd 1, 1x Rd 3

Full rebuild mode after inheriting a dumpster fire...

Dobber Sports Novice

Thanks for all the responses, everyone! I think I have a clearer picture in my mind of what I need to do, but there were a lot of opinions being thrown around. Good thing there's plenty of time to think before we have our prospect draft!

...if only I could swing a trade like Lindros88's league mates can swing. Pick Askarov, trade for McDavid and Eichel, win league sounds like a heck of a plan!
    W Saves GA SHO

Farm Highlights: Batherson, Puistola, Koivula , Tippett, Madden, Dobson, Sandin, Rasmussen, L Brown, Nedeljkovic, Mahura, Capobianco, N Robertson, , Rafferty, Alexeyev

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mmasked View Post
    Oh man, Melnichuk is an undraftable FA, and I'll be throwing down a ton of FAAB to acquire him once FA reopens. I have a hunch it'll be like sharks with blood in the water.
    If you think it will take a ton of FAAB, then perhaps you aim a bit lower in the pool, and spend less, inc ase you need it later. Especially if there are real dollars attached based on usage.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Novice

If you think it will take a ton of FAAB, then perhaps you aim a bit lower in the pool, and spend less, inc ase you need it later. Especially if there are real dollars attached based on usage.
    I ended up finishing this season with about 75% of my FAAB from this past season, and there are rarely free agents that people clamour for (although Fiala was dropped this year. Was outbid by a buck...), so I'm already spending up for Melnichuk.

Other goalies on FA include:
    Schneider
    R Miller
    Subban
    Montembeault
    Delia
    Swayman
    W Saves GA SHO

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Haha.. let's not go McDavid/Eichel far.. the studs don't get moved or moved cheap. Everyone is just trying to get the next Vasilevskiy. Problem is, because of that, guys like Francouz get overlooked (or like me, you sell the guy on his age and being "stuck" behind Grubauer.
    14T dynasty
    W, SV%, SO, GAA, SVS

Administrator

It's like 50% chance that a 1st round goalie pans out, and typically takes 5+ years to arrive. Look at your current options Merzlikins and Nedeljkovic. They both were picked in 2014, Merzlikins is only now bearing fruit and you're still waiting on Ned. Are you even going to be in this league in 5 years?

Seriously, if you want goaltending help, trade the pick for an active option if the value is there. If not, see where there is value. Most top goalies only have a 3-year peak of performance anyhow. So maybe you just wait until the rest of the roster is ready to compete before going after a goalie. Maybe you can cobble together an awesome set of undervalued options by then.

Also, you're in a points-based league, scoring is going up so goalie value will be going down. AND teams are shifting more and more towards tandem setups. Askarov could be all that and only give you 45-55 starts. The days of 70+ start elite goalies are probably over. Be early on the goalie trends rather than late. Everything is pointing towards fungibility at the position.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Apprentice

When’s your next pick after 6? If you’re absolutely set on drafting him, I’d see if other owners in that range need a goalie then trade down so you can add a piece and still draft him. My leagues are insane for young goalies too. You may be able to draft him at 6 and get a big package after your draft in return.

Dobber Sports Novice

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    When’s your next pick after 6? If you’re absolutely set on drafting him, I’d see if other owners in that range need a goalie then trade down so you can add a piece and still draft him. My leagues are insane for young goalies too. You may be able to draft him at 6 and get a big package after your draft in return.
    I don't pick until pick #42 after #6. Swapped a lot of picks for upgrades on established players this year (and don't have much in the way of roster space for new prospects). Still not fully sure about how much I want him, but I do believe I would be able to flip him for a king's ransom after the draft. People looove young tendies! We'll see who's available at 6, as well. I kind of get to be my league's Sens and walk out of the draft with two great prospects any way I pick em
    W Saves GA SHO

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I ended up finishing this season with about 75% of my FAAB from this past season, and there are rarely free agents that people clamour for (although Fiala was dropped this year. Was outbid by a buck...), so I'm already spending up for Melnichuk.

Other goalies on FA include:
    Schneider
    R Miller
    Subban
    Montembeault
    Delia
    Swayman
    Given your FAAB situation, aiming high on him makes sense. I also like Delia somewhat - at what should be a far lesser amount. He's possibly minors eligble?
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.