Thread: Draft pick trade

Dobber Sports Rookie

Default Draft pick trade

First time in a while doing a large cap dynasty. Some draft picks have been traded around, seems a lot of people look to move down and pick up extra picks later.

Have an offer where I get the earlier picks.

24 team h2h cats league.

Get #50 and #55
    Give #62, #83 and #110

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: Draft pick trade

Is this just for the 2020 NHL draft players? If so (and if space on your minor league roster isn't an issue) then keep the larger number of picks. If you have the 30th guy on your board slip all the was to 52 and you want to trade up to grab him when the time comes, go for it. But likelihood is that the guy you're going to grab at 52 might even be there at 60, and if not, he'll basically be the same value as the guy you draft at 60 anyways.
    So stand pat. Your league has it figured out here that volume gets you the best chance at hitting on something later in the draft.

Better idea, trade your late picks for guys from the 2017 or 2018 draft that are closer to the cusp. They don't have to be star players, but guys that can fill in roles on your team. Reducing the wait time is great asset management.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Default Re: Draft pick trade

I agree with EB. I joined a cap dynasty a couple years ago, was my first, and while it's 12 teams the rosters are HUGE: 75 including minors, plus 5 IR during the year. However, if you have limited minor roster spots, it makes sense to consolidate. If you have inherited a bunch of dreck, it makes sense to want quantity.

I prefer to make the moves at the draft, and almost always moving down, or back a year to pick up more picks. Typically, in dynasty, I will move up if somebody slips that I really value, but I haven't had that happen in hockey yet.

One other thing here is that this doesn't move you up a round. I find that a pick in the late second is way more valued than pick 3.02, which is what #50 is. You can use that to your advantage to drop a round ( my second for your 3rd) when you aren't dropping a whole league's worth of teams.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.