Thread: Where to go in my rebuild?

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Where to go in my rebuild?

Hi all,

I'm hoping to get a little bit of advice on the team here; https://imgur.com/cK4uils (prob need to zoom in).

It's the same stats as my league in sig, but a more expensive league. I'm in a bit of a weird spot where I'm no where near good enough to compete but I also don't really have the assets to get 1sts back now etc. I made the decision last year to trade a lot of my older better players for 1sts and prospects and even though I had 2 20% chances at 1st overall and another 8% I came out with 3rd (Stutzle) 5th (Raymond) and 6th (Byfield) - not ideal!

I think I'm going to keep my first for next year but not attempt to gain anymore, there are a lot of teams that are equal and who knows what'll happen next year now - I don't think it's worth trying to get it, especially as the draft isn't as deep as 2020/2022. My objective I think will be to go for 2022 picks when they open up in January (we allow pick trading 1.5 years ahead). Would you say this is a good plan?

Looking at my team, what would you be doing if it was you? I'm thinking in January I'll try to make Rakell into a top prospect or a 1st from a team I think might fall in 2022? Trocheck slightly less value but something similar. Matt Murray i'm hoping Seattle picks him up and he turns good again.

I've got a decent basis to work from with Samsonov, Sorokin, Necas, Dahlin and McDavid, it's about making those around him better.

Would you be getting rid of any prospects? Are there any prospects you think would be worth taking a gamble on long-term that have likely not been taken. Any advice would be great, I've always drafted well and never been in a full rebuild before so it's kind of new territory for me.
    Team One (Mercenaries Of Mandalore) 24T Dynasty, 4LW/RW/C, 6D, 2G, 4B - G, A1, A2, PPG, PPA, SHP, SOG, FOW, FOL, TK, GV, HIT, BLK, FT, ||| W, L, GA, SV, SHO, A

Team Two (Hamilton Tigers) 16T Dynasty - 3LW/RW/C, 6D, 2G, 6B - G, A, PPP, SHP, SOG, BLK, HIT, FOW| W, L, GA, SV, SHO, A

Click here for my teams (not up to date)

Links are too a google document.

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: Where to go in my rebuild?

Simple and high level advice, but stop going down. With that many prime young assets you could be competitive this coming season if you wanted to! That's always the way to go, is to win a championship. If things go south, sure you can shop Rakell for a pick, but between now and the beginning of the season, move one of your top picks from this year for a player of two off another rebuilder that will help carry you through the season. Target players that are 29-30 so they aren't in their peak value years, but they come a lot cheaper. Guys like Stamkos/Tavares/Kane.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Before I can give advice, I'd need to know more about the roster rules and limits, plus number of teams in the playoffs. I'm only in 2 leagues, and neither is what I think is typical. The one in my sig has no minors, is sort of a combination of points & save percentage only, and has been around 25ish years. The other one is a huge cap dynasty with 75 players, 53 in the minors, but it's an demotion to AHL requires waivers style minors, not a prospects only style minors.

3 things stick out to me at first:

1. You desperately need to fix your defense, and it's an easy, easy fix. You have too many Sabre defensemen, and you need one more D to put on your bench. Right now, you have way too many dead days of games on D.
    So Pilut for literally almost any FA out there, or for a an equivalent non-Sabre, plus some sort of move to add a D. Maybe Jokiharju for a similar guy on another team. This is less a problem if it's weekly starts, but it's still a problem.

2. As EB said, you need to stop churning players for prospects/picks. I'd be looking to move multiple prospects for better quality players as he suggests. If you look at your best forwards, they are 23, 25, 26, and 27. Those latter 3 guys are the oldest guys on your roster. Next year, Mantha becomes 26, which is apparently too old, so it's time to deal him. I'm going to hazard that McDavid at 26 will be okay to keep until he's 28-29 at least.

3. Having guys who are essentially not in the NHL on an active roster means you are trying to lose. Is there a reason that Pilut & Puljujarvi are on the active roster, other than you have prospects that you can send back down?
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Hey Fellas,

Thanks so much for your replies as always, here is some more information;

The inaugural season was last season and I drafted with the intention of a rebuild (i got McDavid 2nd) but everyone was taking the top talent early so I took a gamble with a young goalie (Murray) (Vasi was gone) and Dahlin early and that put me on the track of kind of being in a rebuild state from the get go. I then managed to trade for some real good looking picks - but it's a lottery right so that didn't quite go my way (3 people at 20% and I had 2 of them).

Comparing my team against the top team on paper (see: https://gyazo.com/3de1751d3cf85f171fd74aff398f346e) it's pretty much a none starter, that's why I made the aim of rebuilding until the 2022 draft where I could basically explode out of the gates, so to speak. Keeping in mind a lot of teams went similar to the guy I posted above so it's not just him that's that strong - there are 8-9 others who are in that frame. I definitely understand the advice of stop going down, it definitely makes sense but right now it would be incredibly difficult for me to compete with him - even if I traded my top youngsters - the only teams who would be after them are in a similar position to me with there highest fantasy points being at most around the 6fp/g mark while still being young (so won't trade) most of the older talent has been traded to the 9-10 teams I mentioned.

Roster rules and limits; In the off season we have a 3 over max for minors and active combined, so things might look a little funky right now (like Pully being in the active) it's to give people time to really decide what they want to do - so that's important to note.

3C, 3LW, 3RW, 1F, 5D, 2G, 6Bench (24 active) and 23 minors in total (minors under 27 years old, under 120gp (skaters) and 60gp (goalies)). Scoring can be seen here; https://gyazo.com/6b4d75f33aaca4c695e678d3553f205f

16 Teams in total, 4 divisions of 4, with a western and eastern conference (see: https://gyazo.com/9f72510bc3762e60381ab8c591e583ed) . Top of each division goes through to playoffs, then the next 2 highest from each conference go through to playoffs (8 in total 4 from each conference)

Let me know if any other information is needed here. In terms of trying to lose - there is a sense of that this past year, I had a lot riding on getting good picks, honestly I'm not sure what to do after your advice - it seems like you guys are pretty sure I can make something work but whenever I look into potential players they're on competing teams now - perhaps I left it too late? That's why I've got 2022 in my head.

Also to get an understanding of teams last season this was the final tables; https://gyazo.com/0535ad43de5cbb0211cedd9e6faaf653

One piece I've been trying to add is a top young defencemen, the notable ones like Makar and Hughes are no go's but Boqvist is potentially on the table, they want Mantha for him. I said it wouldn't be fair as one for one when Boqvist hasn't played in the NHL properly yet while Manthas had a few seasons. What're your thoughts on that?
    Team One (Mercenaries Of Mandalore) 24T Dynasty, 4LW/RW/C, 6D, 2G, 4B - G, A1, A2, PPG, PPA, SHP, SOG, FOW, FOL, TK, GV, HIT, BLK, FT, ||| W, L, GA, SV, SHO, A

Team Two (Hamilton Tigers) 16T Dynasty - 3LW/RW/C, 6D, 2G, 6B - G, A, PPP, SHP, SOG, BLK, HIT, FOW| W, L, GA, SV, SHO, A

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by JayJJeffery View Post
    The inaugural season was last season and I drafted with the intention of a rebuild (i got McDavid 2nd) but everyone was taking the top talent early so I took a gamble with a young goalie (Murray) (Vasi was gone) and Dahlin early and that put me on the track of kind of being in a rebuild state from the get go. I then managed to trade for some real good looking picks - but it's a lottery right so that didn't quite go my way (3 people at 20% and I had 2 of them).
    First thing here, is that you can't really draft for a rebuild, since you aren't 're'building, a long build yes. Unfortunately, this seems to be a thing people do a lot in inaugural drafts. Once you start down that path, you need a plan, and a timeline, and you at least have an idea of when you want to flip the switch, but it's not easy as flipping that switch.

The really bad news is that team you linked is not very old, and will probably still be just fine in 3 years. They have Stastny, Pietrangelo, Edler, and Martinez at 30+, and Martinez is really just a spare 7th D.

You say you want a top young defenseman. Isn't Dahlin that guy? Or Werenski? Or McAvoy? That's a strength of yours, actually. If you think you need one of those, you need to think again.

I feel you need to focus less on new picks/prospects and aim for some younger talent that should not bust, or at least won't bust before reaching the NHL as a regular; also, some older players that are minors eligible, or can be that 6th-7th D or 12th-13th forward you need. Don't worry about age, but find somebody who's useful in FA. Or give a couple of your suspect prospects to a rebuilder for a guy in the NHL who doesn't have super sexy upside, but is a solid roster guy.

That goalie scoring is asking for you to lock down volume starters, even on bad teams.

I do like the names of defunct teams in that league, very nice. Good luck.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by stevegamer View Post
    First thing here, is that you can't really draft for a rebuild, since you aren't 're'building, a long build yes. Unfortunately, this seems to be a thing people do a lot in inaugural drafts. Once you start down that path, you need a plan, and a timeline, and you at least have an idea of when you want to flip the switch, but it's not easy as flipping that switch.

The really bad news is that team you linked is not very old, and will probably still be just fine in 3 years. They have Stastny, Pietrangelo, Edler, and Martinez at 30+, and Martinez is really just a spare 7th D.

You say you want a top young defenseman. Isn't Dahlin that guy? Or Werenski? Or McAvoy? That's a strength of yours, actually. If you think you need one of those, you need to think again.

I feel you need to focus less on new picks/prospects and aim for some younger talent that should not bust, or at least won't bust before reaching the NHL as a regular; also, some older players that are minors eligible, or can be that 6th-7th D or 12th-13th forward you need. Don't worry about age, but find somebody who's useful in FA. Or give a couple of your suspect prospects to a rebuilder for a guy in the NHL who doesn't have super sexy upside, but is a solid roster guy.

That goalie scoring is asking for you to lock down volume starters, even on bad teams.

I do like the names of defunct teams in that league, very nice. Good luck.
    Yeah, once I seen all the big players being taken (I really wanted Dahlin to compliment McD and goalies started going like hotcakes so I took Murray) I decided everyone is going for win now, i'll go for 'build for the future' however, I kind of messed up my draft.

Dahlin is definitely the guy, I was just thinking as I needed another D why not go for someone younger, it gives me points now but more points in the future (if it pans out right) when I actually am ready to be successful, but what you're saying makes sense for sure.

Thanks for the mention on the defunct teams, it was my idea. We did a draft for all 16 teams, there was every new and old team name in the draft and each manager got two team name drafted for them, they could then choose which team they wanted. It's my own league, I also run the one in my signature which is only active teams but the same draft concept. If a team wins the playoffs 3 times in 7 years they can 'relocate' and become a team not taken.