Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hazing Class Action Lawsuit (proposed) vs. CHL – (led by Daniel Carcillo)

Dobber Sports Superstar

Default Hazing Class Action Lawsuit (proposed) vs. CHL – (led by Daniel Carcillo)

Daniel Carcillo has been making waves in the hockey world and the media for quite some time by making allegations about the type of hazing, and frankly abuse (physical and sexual) that he allegedly suffered while a rookie the OHL.
    Recently, Carcillo and former WHL player Garrett Taylor filed a Class Action lawsuit on behalf of “all children aged 15-17 who were sexually and physically assaulted, hazed and otherwise abused while away from home and playing for CHL teams”.

The allegations included in the Statement of Claim are of course unproven in a court of law. The allegations are unbelievable disgusting, perverse and borderline psychopathic. Hopefully this lawsuit brings to light the type of abuses that were/(are??) happening in Jr. Hockey behind closed doors in the name of “hazing” and helps stop such messed up activities. It’s bigger than any one player, coach, manager or organization. I hate the phrase “toxic culture” but I do not know what else can describe the activities alleged in the Statement of Claim.

Carcillo may not have been a sympathetic character while playing in the NHL but I'm sure glad he has stepped up regarding this issue. If half the allegations alleged are true this insane and abusive behavior is disgusting and needs to stop.

story:

https://thehockeynews.com/news/artic...-filed-lawsuit
    12 team H-2-H 1 year league, daily roster changes, 3 goalie start minimum/week
    2xC, 2xRW, 2xLW, 4xD, 3xUtil, 2xG, 5 Bench
    G, A, P, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, W, SV%, GAA, SVs
    C: C. Keller, C. Mittelstadt, B. Nelson, R. Strome,
    LW: K. Connor, B. Tkachuk, J. Gaudreau, J. Marchessault, E. Rodrigues, A. Lafreniere
    RW: K. Fiala, J. Bratt, T. Jeannot V. Arvidsson
    D: R. Josi, J. Trouba, E. Gustafsson,
    G: L. Thompson, F. Gustavsson, V. Vanecek
    NO IR

Dobber Sports Guru

Default Re: Hazing Class Action Lawsuit (proposed) vs. CHL – (led by Daniel Carcillo)

I read it yesterday. Just keep in mind for anyone who hasn't read it that there are some disturbing parts in there.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

The Great One

Default Re: Hazing Class Action Lawsuit (proposed) vs. CHL – (led by Daniel Carcillo)

Couldn't make it past the second paragraph...

Dobber Sports Ninja

That's some really disturbing shit... I always knew hazing happened, but I'm blown away by how far they actually take it - ****ing disgusting and twisted.

What they allege (if true) are malicious crimes and if it happened to anyone in the real world outside of sport they'd probably be in jail.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Wow. I thought that the hazing was bad, but not this bad. That should be serious jail time. This clearly needs to be addressed immediately. Zero tolerance for those serious offenses, you know, the ones covered in the criminal code about abuse of a minor. Wow.

Dobber Sports Master

sad to hear that these things still happen . if they raised awareness to it back in the day then say goodnight to career

I figured things like rookies get the cot , vets get the bed while on road trips or rookies start season with a shaved head would be as wild as it gets these days.

Dobber Sports Pro

This way beyond hazing. This is on the level of torture and sadism.

Dobber Sports Deity

Thats crazy. I see a lot of coaching and management vacancies coming forward sooner rather than later.

As someone who grew up playing my minor hockey in the 70s and early 80s, I dont remember it being this bad where i grew up. Once I became an adult and started playing recreational/gentlemens hockey (basically beer leagues), there was still rookie fun but nothing like this. The worst things we did was rubbing Ben-Gay on the bench while the boys where in the showers and they'd come sit on it or we'd put it in the legs of their pants. We did a lot of silly things like filling their shoes with shampoo and petty shit like that but nothing to the extent of this stuff.

Wow.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Titan

I've heard some horror stories on like Canadian Uni football teams, but it's nothing like what has come out about Junior Hockey.

Hearing this stuff makes me wonder how many athletes have dropped out of the sport at a young age because of hazing and we've not been able to experience their talent because of it. Imagine if McDavid got hazed to this level and just stopped playing?

I really feel for Danny Carcillo
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    I've heard some horror stories on like Canadian Uni football teams, but it's nothing like what has come out about Junior Hockey.

Hearing this stuff makes me wonder how many athletes have dropped out of the sport at a young age because of hazing and we've not been able to experience their talent because of it. Imagine if McDavid got hazed to this level and just stopped playing?

I really feel for Danny Carcillo
    I guess the big question I have for someone like Carcillo (and Garrett Taylor) is what did they do about it after they were no longer a rookie? Did they do anything to stop it or did they just join in the next year to carry on the "tradition" when new rookies came in the next season. Did they take part in the hazing of the new rookies once they were no longer the target.

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Ninja

This sounds very similar to some of the stories I was told from Jr B players and their rookie parties. Stuff that makes your skin crawl. Unfortunately the hockey world is crawling with this and is a large part of why I never had my kids anywhere near hockey culture. I enjoy the sport, but the community, while certainly filled with a lot of good, is also infested with some really disgusting culture that needs to change.

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    I guess the big question I have for someone like Carcillo (and Garrett Taylor) is what did they do about it after they were no longer a rookie? Did they do anything to stop it or did they just join in the next year to carry on the "tradition" when new rookies came in the next season. Did they take part in the hazing of the new rookies once they were no longer the target.
    It is tough too because as a 16yr old, do you think they should be standing up for themselves sacrificing their possible hockey career they've worked towards for 10-ish yrs already. It's a very iffy territory where I personally understand your thought path on that. I personally side with, these are just kids working for their hockey career and thinking "is this normal? Do I say anything and risk derailing my hockey career? Adults must know this is happening?"

A lot of questions I think everyone is rightfully bringing up.

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    It is tough too because as a 16yr old, do you think they should be standing up for themselves sacrificing their possible hockey career they've worked towards for 10-ish yrs already. It's a very iffy territory where I personally understand your thought path on that. I personally side with, these are just kids working for their hockey career and thinking "is this normal? Do I say anything and risk derailing my hockey career? Adults must know this is happening?"

A lot of questions I think everyone is rightfully bringing up.
    I get that. What I dont get is when you say "I really feel for Danny Carcillo". If he participated in the problem, it's hard to show sympathy for him, or any other player for that matter. It kind of goes back to when Paul Bisonnette called Carcillo out for all the crap Carcillo did back in the day during their little spat a few months ago.

I commend them for coming forward and bringing light to a bad situation. It's the timing and their participation that I question. I just have a hard time showing sympathy for any of them if they participated in the very thing they are suing for. It's almost hypocritical in my eyes.

Dobber Sports Star

It's unfortunate, but these types of things would benefit a lot from a more reputable front-man. It's hard for a lot of people to see past the type of player Carcillo was, so his words carry less weight than they would otherwise. Things will go much more smoothly if a Datsyuk or St. Louis type of player can step up and get on board behind these allegations. Hopefully more and more people come out and help squash this horrible shit.

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    I get that. What I dont get is when you say "I really feel for Danny Carcillo". If he participated in the problem, it's hard to show sympathy for him, or any other player for that matter. It kind of goes back to when Paul Bisonnette called Carcillo out for all the crap Carcillo did back in the day during their little spat a few months ago.

I commend them for coming forward and bringing light to a bad situation. It's the timing and their participation that I question. I just have a hard time showing sympathy for any of them if they participated in the very thing they are suing for. It's almost hypocritical in my eyes.
    And I get that side of it.

I should prolly adjust how I say, "I feel for DC". Should be "I feel for anyone who went through what DC went through as a jr". To me I can show sympathy for someone who's developed mental health issues that seem to stem from this abuse. And I'm sure there's a lot of players who dropped out of hockey due to the mental abuse they took that could still be struggling that are out there. In this situation, it is just based on personal viewpoints.