Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Hazing Class Action Lawsuit (proposed) vs. CHL – (led by Daniel Carcillo)

Dobber Sports Superstar

Default Re: Hazing Class Action Lawsuit (proposed) vs. CHL – (led by Daniel Carcillo)

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    It is tough too because as a 16yr old, do you think they should be standing up for themselves sacrificing their possible hockey career they've worked towards for 10-ish yrs already. It's a very iffy territory where I personally understand your thought path on that. I personally side with, these are just kids working for their hockey career and thinking "is this normal? Do I say anything and risk derailing my hockey career? Adults must know this is happening?"

A lot of questions I think everyone is rightfully bringing up.
    I agree with this. So Carcillo survives his year of hazing. In that time he told: his coaches, team management, OHL management (all allegedly) and may have told Hockey Canada... nothing happened.

So now it's his turn to dole out the hazing abuse, he knows anyone not participating will be seen as "not a team guy" so he goes along with it, just playing by the rules and following protocol after all...

Finally he makes he's done with Jr. and makes the NHL, he still can't rock to boat for fear of reprisal. Teams do not like players who cause "controversy" and are outspoken in the media (whether that is actually true or not is irrelevant, it's what the players believe and they are not about to put a pro career on the line to stand for change).

It makes perfect sense that only now that his career is long-over Carcillo has the confidence to speak up. Ideally it would be a player with a spotless image that came forward, but no matter the player or the circumstances there is a way to dismiss it.

Player who quits due to hazing gets told "well he was not tough enough and is bitter he got cut"
    Chippy/Dirty player like Carcillo comes forward "why should we believe him he is/was a dirty player"
    Superstar comes forward 'why didn't you speak up 10, 15 years ago" and also "it could not have been that bad he played 4 years of Jr."

I give Carcillo full credit for what he's doing. He will still probably face some blackballing in the hockey world and many will not be happy, sure he could have spoken up a long time ago but late is better than never.
    12 team H-2-H 1 year league, daily roster changes, 3 goalie start minimum/week
    2xC, 2xRW, 2xLW, 4xD, 3xUtil, 2xG, 5 Bench
    G, A, P, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, W, SV%, GAA, SVs
    C: C. Keller, C. Mittelstadt, B. Nelson, R. Strome,
    LW: K. Connor, B. Tkachuk, J. Gaudreau, J. Marchessault, E. Rodrigues, A. Lafreniere
    RW: K. Fiala, J. Bratt, T. Jeannot V. Arvidsson
    D: R. Josi, J. Trouba, E. Gustafsson,
    G: L. Thompson, F. Gustavsson, V. Vanecek
    NO IR

Dobber Sports Ninja

Default Re: Hazing Class Action Lawsuit (proposed) vs. CHL – (led by Daniel Carcillo)

Well put Lawman.

Dobber Sports Ninja

In this day and age, where everyone has a phone and nearly everything gets recorded, how hard would it be for quasi-governing bodies like Hockey Canada and USA Hockey to come up with an anonymous (or not?) reporting system? I don't feel like you could let each league deal with it because they would be too tempted to bury this behavior. Make each team, each member of the coaching staff and players sign a document that has something written like a code of conduct or something like that. They could even explicitly mention zero tolerance for hazing with punishments for offenders and protection for whistleblowers.

I realize this might be difficult to change culture, but culture that is this gross and hurtful? Call it out for what it is, criminal and abusive and treat it as such. Stop doing it, stop allowing it to happen and hopefully, this crap just goes away. I know, wishful thinking. Some people say I'm an internal optometrist.

Dobber Sports Icon

I will agree that this stuff is all terrible and is probably true. I would also guess that it is nowhere near as bad now as it was then simply because everyone has cameras on them 24 hours a day now. If this stuff was still happening, we would be seeing video of it. I know for sure that hazing was not just a hockey thing as I witnessed it in many other sports teams while playing university hockey. (we shared shower facilities with all the other mens' teams).

Here are some of the things I went through when I first started playing junior A hockey (BCHL, AJHL, SJHL and not WHL, QMJHL OHL):

1) We had rookies parties with large amounts of booze. Rookies were encouraged to drink more than their fair share.

2) I had to take my clothes off (underwear still on) and give them to a veteran. Then had to get into the bus bathroom with 4 or 5 other rookies all with their clothes off as well. The veterans then bundled our clothes up and threw them into the bathroom along with a bunch of change. We weren't allowed out of the bathroom until we were dressed and had our jersey number in change in our hands.

3) I had to go to the front of the bus on a road trip. Once there I had to drop my pants and place a potato chip between my butt cheeks. I then had to tell a joke. If anyone laughed at the joke, you could throw the chip in the garbage and put your pants back on. However, if no one laughed at your joke, you had to walk to the back of the bus with your pants down. Everyone then smacked you on the ass as you walked past them with some players using their stick blades (this was well before one piece hockey sticks) to make the smack more impactful. The more you were liked the harder they hit you so I got hit worse then everyone else. They liked me enough that my seat was the very back seat in the bus and I would imagine most people know how seating arrangements on buses go, this bus was a little different as the back seat was not the best seat on the bus but it was right behind the best seats on the bus. Once you got to the back of the bus, you had to get rid of the chip (I will leave that to your imagination).

At no point during any of these events did I feel threatened or abused. I also did not feel like it was inappropriate as I thought they were fun team bonding experiences. I was a willing participant in all of these events that happened to me. This does not mean that everyone felt the same way I did nor does it diminish the pain and suffering caused to others who went through similar and different hazing experiences nor does this excuse the much worse experiences that happened to other people.

Dobber Sports Guru

Another player has come forward, unnamed, against the WHL.

https://www.tsn.ca/whl-investigating...mpression=true

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by newfcollins View Post

I expect there to be many more as we proceed.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by newfcollins View Post

Why is this player asking the league to investigate this? He should be reporting this to the RCMP. These events have nothing to do with hazing as this seems like a criminal activity.

Dobber Sports Ace

What I don't want to see is this just going after the league, or owners or coaches, if you are looking for change then you need to take it all the way and name players as well, whether they are in the NHL now or not. The managment turned a blind eye (or even participated) and need to brought to rights but these are the actions of the players themselves and they also need to be held accountable.
    12 Team H2H keeper league
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, Hits, GWG & SOG. W, GAA, SV% & SHO
    Daily changes, Start: 3C 3LW 3RW 6D 1F 2W 2G - 10 Bench