Thread: Suggestions/Ideas for higher seeded teams

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Default Suggestions/Ideas for higher seeded teams

With the NHL taking he playoffs to two hub cities do we think there will be any advantages given to the teams with higher regular season seeding?

Likely not other than the 'home-ice' advantage of last change in 'home' games.

I was just wondering if anyone had any creative ideas for ways that the home team to receive something in lieu of true home ice advantage.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: Suggestions/Ideas for higher seeded teams

I mean, part of the home ice advantage is being able to line match and have those other little nuanced advantages. That doesn't go away. I think the lack of crowd momentum won't actually play a large factor in things.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

My most creative idea would be that the highest seeded team in each round gets to pick out of the set schedules.

Say the NHL would create 4 different schedules for each hub city. Assuming the series will not get the same time slot each day they play.

Schedule A Tuesday 5:00, Thursday 3:00, Saturday 7:00, Monday 3:00 Wednesday 7:00
    Schedule B Wednesday 5:00, Friday 3:00, Sunday 7:00, Tuesday 3:00 Thursday 7:00
    Schedule C Tuesday 7:00, Thursday 5:00, Saturday 3:00, Monday 7:00, Wednesday 5:00
    Schedule D. Wednesday 7:00, Friday 5:00, Sunday 3:00, Tuesday 7:00 Thursday 5:00

The Pittsburgh Penguins as the highest seed in the East would get to choose one of the Schedules.

Then the Hurricanes, then the Isles.

Its nothing extreme... but one team might prefer to play Game 5 of the series at 7:00 rather than 5:00 type thing.

Dobber Sports Superstar

I've read a bunch of theories on why and what home-ice should entail in the NBA/NHL playoffs being played in netural sites. Apparently the NBA is considering a laundry list of edges for the home team:
    https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...off-advantages

- home team gets 1st possession of 2nd, 3rd, 4th quarters --> (HUGE)
    - home team gets 1 player who can get 7 fouls (over standard 6) --> pretty huge
    - home team can transport their home court for games --> OK, not sure I see the actual advantage here other than advertising.
    - top teams get to pick their hotel accommodations first --> kinda hilarious IMO

Personally I think that in normal times home ice/court is more a matter of necessity (i.e. the game has to be played in one of two-sites) then an intended bias.
    A 7-game series that ends in 4 or 6 games has no "home ice advantage" overall and one that ends in 5 or 7 has a small one.

Given the advantages given to the home team in the 4-major sports:
    Baseball - hitting last is HUGE. The biggest home turf advantage in sports. Also DH/no-DH in the World Series is big as well.
    Hockey- last change. Is very large IMO given how coaches can use it to their advantage. somewhat mitigated with the no change on icing rules.
    Basketball - there is no rule advantage that I am aware of. Home court is statistically massive in the NBA, my uneducated opinion is the refs are influenced by home crowds.
    Football - there is no rules home advantage I am aware of. Having the crowd disrupt road teams (Seattle) is considered the advantage. Weather and field variations have been large over the years. Given that the Super Bowl is neutral turf there is no advantage here.

Anyways, I really hope the NHL does not add an artificial advantage for the "home team" come playoff time. That would be terrible IMO.
    12 team H-2-H 1 year league, daily roster changes, 3 goalie start minimum/week
    2xC, 2xRW, 2xLW, 4xD, 3xUtil, 2xG, 5 Bench
    G, A, P, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, W, SV%, GAA, SVs
    C: C. Keller, C. Mittelstadt, B. Nelson, R. Strome,
    LW: K. Connor, B. Tkachuk, J. Gaudreau, J. Marchessault, E. Rodrigues, A. Lafreniere
    RW: K. Fiala, J. Bratt, T. Jeannot V. Arvidsson
    D: R. Josi, J. Trouba, E. Gustafsson,
    G: L. Thompson, F. Gustavsson, V. Vanecek
    NO IR

The higher seeds will get last change in games 1, 2, and 5 or 1, 3, and 5..
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..