Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What would you prefer - picks or prospects

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default What would you prefer - picks or prospects

20tm salary multicat salary keeper league.

Just trying to value "older" prospects and younger NHL players versus this years crop of draft picks in a certain range.

Would you prefer and/or trade this years picks(2020) in the range of Picks 26-35 for prospects such as:

Valimaki
    Cal Foote
    Fabbro
    Addison
    Clague
    20tm multicat salary keeper
    19 Active/6 Reserve/ 33 Minors
    3C/3LW/3RW/3SKT/6D/1G
    Skaters: G/A/PlusMinus/PIM/SOG/PPP/SHP/Hit/Blk/FOW/FO%
    Goalies: W/GAA/SV/SV%/SHO

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: What would you prefer - picks or prospects

100% for Valimaki. Great buy-low option here, and much closer to being a regular than the 4 year wait from whatever the 30th overall pick will be.

Generally though I find picks work as better trade chips when trading for active NHLers though.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

I would do it for:

Valimaki
    Fabbro
    Addison

as for Foote and Clague... I still think I would add these guys. But thats likely because I haven't studied this year's draft class becaause I only do this around draft time.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

Dobber Sports Deity

To he honest, I like all of those kids vs a pick in the 25-30 range.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

The Great One

I don't think you'll get Valimaki for a late first round pick (26 - 35). All the power to you if you can. I'd move that pick Addison or Clague too. Especially in a league with 600 prospects.

Dobber Sports Ace

I have a friend in my points only league who happens to be a die hard Flames fan. I have not heard him say one good thing about Valimaki. What’s his upside like? I don’t follow Calgary too closely.
    12 teams. Keep 9 any position.
    7 prospects. D scoring 3.75 for goal, 2.75 for assist. Forwards 3.5 for goal, 2.5 for assist. 0.5 for hits and blocks. Goalie scoring -1.5 GA, 0.3 for save, 2 points for win and extra 2 for shutout.

​Pre Draft

F: Keller, Zegras, Suzuki, Caufield, Cozens

D:​ Drysdale, Guhle, Perunovich

G:

IR:

Prospects: W. Johnston, K. Johnson, Guenther, Morrow, Mateychuk

Dobber Sports Icon

Fabbro's the best of the guys you listed by a pretty big margin.

With that said, I would move picks 26-35 for any of the guys you listed. I would rather have an asset that is 2 years closer to being useful than a draft pick that MIGHT help me in 3 or 4 years.

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by chuckcouples View Post
    Fabbro's the best of the guys you listed by a pretty big margin.

With that said, I would move picks 26-35 for any of the guys you listed. I would rather have an asset that is 2 years closer to being useful than a draft pick that MIGHT help me in 3 or 4 years.
    As a Nashville fan I like Fabbro but I wholeheartedly disagree. Fabbro will be a solid real life player, but has nowhere near the offensive upside of Valimaki. I would say Vali has 60 point upside with a few 45+ point seasons as likely, while I think Fabbro tops out around 45 in his best year.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    As a Nashville fan I like Fabbro but I wholeheartedly disagree. Fabbro will be a solid real life player, but has nowhere near the offensive upside of Valimaki. I would say Vali has 60 point upside with a few 45+ point seasons as likely, while I think Fabbro tops out around 45 in his best year.
    45pts is nothing to sneeze at for NHL Dmen these days.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    45pts is nothing to sneeze at for NHL Dmen these days.
    Definitely not, and I would take him for the pick as well. I was just trying to make the point that Valimaki should likely be treated as the better fantasy asset.

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by bbfl1987 View Post
    I have a friend in my points only league who happens to be a die hard Flames fan. I have not heard him say one good thing about Valimaki. What’s his upside like? I don’t follow Calgary too closely.
    Have you ever played poker with this friend? Is he any good at bluffing?

Dobber propsects has his NHL fantasy upside at a rating of 8/10.

And 14 points in 20 games in the AHL. When the opportunity arises in the NHL I could see him producing at a 50 point level. Maybe reach 60 one year.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinHunter View Post
    Have you ever played poker with this friend? Is he any good at bluffing?

Dobber propsects has his NHL fantasy upside at a rating of 8/10.

And 14 points in 20 games in the AHL. When the opportunity arises in the NHL I could see him producing at a 50 point level. Maybe reach 60 one year.
    Haha, the funny thing is that he actually has Valimaki on his farm. Maybe worth taking a shot at him.
    12 teams. Keep 9 any position.
    7 prospects. D scoring 3.75 for goal, 2.75 for assist. Forwards 3.5 for goal, 2.5 for assist. 0.5 for hits and blocks. Goalie scoring -1.5 GA, 0.3 for save, 2 points for win and extra 2 for shutout.

​Pre Draft

F: Keller, Zegras, Suzuki, Caufield, Cozens

D:​ Drysdale, Guhle, Perunovich

G:

IR:

Prospects: W. Johnston, K. Johnson, Guenther, Morrow, Mateychuk

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    Definitely not, and I would take him for the pick as well. I was just trying to make the point that Valimaki should likely be treated as the better fantasy asset.
    I don't think I would treat the guy who is only 4 months younger and did not play a game last season and has played 46 games (including playoffs) over the previous 2 seasons as a better fantasy asset than the guy who played over 19 minutes a night in the NHL for a playoff team. That may just be the way I evaluate "prospects" though.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by bbfl1987 View Post
    Valmaki hasn't done much for the Flames, and has had some injury issues, if I remember right. So he may be down on this guy who is always hurt, or lacks the guts to suck it up and play with an actually terrible injury.

I'm from Philly, and I can easily fill a bar with die hard sports fans that I know who root for the local team, yet are pretty clueless, stupid, or worse; but we do stupid sports fans like nobody else, I think. Dozens of those are also fantasy players.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Well in my league I have Cal Foote, so I hope he's worth more than a 25-30 range prospect. I think if someone offered me that, I would keep Foote because I think he's gonna have a real shot at making TB's roster this year. TB's going to have to play at least 6 defensemen I would think hehe.
    31 TEAMS keep all multi-cat (lot of them) dynasty
    Offensive stats : Goals, Assist , PPP, PPTOI, SOG...
    Defensive stats : PKTOI, BLKS, TakeAway, Giveaway...
    (basically best NHL player)