Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Big question!!!! Spencer Knight or Yaroslav Askarov???

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Default Re: Big question!!!! Spencer Knight or Yaroslav Askarov???

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    At the same age, Askarov performed better in the WHC U17 and WJC U18 than Knight.
    At the same age, Askarov was the starter in the WJC U20 while Knight was a backup and didn't play.

I think it's pretty easy to point to reasons someone would prefer Askarov over Knight.

I also don't think it's accurate to say that Knight is closer to being an NHL asset or further along in his development than Askarov just because he's a year older. Age is not the only factor in development.

^Bingo.

For all the yapping I did about Florida... the thing everybody should already know (which is why I didn't touch on it) is that Askarov is being viewed as the best draft-talented goalie since Carey Price!
    Now, there's a LOT of goalies drafted since Carey Price... including... Spencer Knight.
    Knight is solid, very good... but Askarov is special.
    Before the DiPietro draft busting, a guy like Askarov is probably going #3 in this draft.
    But NHL teams have value-drafted or UFA signed their goalie in recent years... and general goalie value has slid on draft day.
    THAT does not change the fact that Askarov is seen as top 5% starter goalie talent.

Like last year when everybody had all non-Byram forwards in the top 10... and two D were reached for...
    It won't surprise me if a team reaches for Askarov.
    Sure - there is an absolute wait, but the Russian goalies are proving very steady & head-strong and coming across the pond.

Dobber Sports Deity

As I've said many times, it's going to take 4-5 years before we'll really know the answer to this question.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    As I've said many times, it's going to take 4-5 years before we'll really know the answer to this question.
    I agree with this ^ statement most of all but it seems specifically opposed to the statement below.

I dont understand how anyone can recommend Askarov until we know where he lands. What if he ends up somewhere like Philly, or say, the Rangers. Do people really think those are good landing spots for him and would want him over Knight?

To be fair to the OP, this is a question that should be asked after the NHL draft for more accurate replies.

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    I agree with this ^ statement most of all but it seems specifically opposed to the statement below.
    It doesn't oppose it. I believe in both statements.

We don't even know where either kid will get their first NHL crack, no matter who drafts Askarov. By the time either get the the NHL, one or both could be wearing a different sweater than the team that drafted them.

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Demi-God

While a very true response... how many threads on these forums would go unanswered about ProspectX vs. ProspectY if we didn't at least speculate and make our own guesses?!?!
    This is the truly FUN part of fantasy hockey, IMO - taking what we've seen and what we do have to go on and trying to project forward!
    This is the whole reason our high school teachers try to educate students on why History class is important!

Play along Axe!
    Get off the fence, you fence-sitter!!!

The Great One

While I agree we won't know the answer for 4-5 years, my guess is the OP will need to make a decision somewhat sooner.

Put me in the Askarov camp, just because I can't imagine a worse situation for a goalie than being behind Bob and that contract.

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    While a very true response... how many threads on these forums would go unanswered about ProspectX vs. ProspectY if we didn't at least speculate and make our own guesses?!?!
    This is the truly FUN part of fantasy hockey, IMO - taking what we've seen and what we do have to go on and trying to project forward!
    This is the whole reason our high school teachers try to educate students on why History class is important!

Play along Axe!
    Get off the fence, you fence-sitter!!!

LOL, I said Knight earlier in this thread as my choice.